Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Morning After  (Read 9714 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 12:21:17 »

Northampton we could have lost, we deserved to beat oldham

Things get better but they never get good
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 12:43:34 »

This is my take on it, FWIW..

We played well against Scunthorpe last week, and we COULD have won it with a bit of luck, but it was a good result, an entertaining game, and it helped build the confidence of the team up after a real battering over the last couple of months. Coxy scored a hat -trick, and the players (and manager) look to their next match - cup tie against non-league opposition. Now on the OS there was lip- service paid to the "never underestimate a non-league team" by Malpas, but that is all it was - lip service. In the players' minds, having held the League 1 leaders to a draw and with Simon Cox scoring a hat trick and more goals in the last couple of matches, they don't really think there will be anything other than an easy win, and therein lies the problem. They thought they were on the up (as did we a little bit I suspect), and that we had nothing to worry about cos Coxy would knock them in. Whatever Malpas said to them went over their heads somewhat, and yesterday was the result.
Not enough effort, desire, passion or committment, because they went into the match thinking they had it in the bag.
There was little or no proper football played (Histon don't play it and wouldn't let us play it either) and the whole thing ended up being an embarrassment. Clearly Histon had nothing to lose, and  wanted it more (unsurprising really).

I blame the players, not Malpas for this, and I am NOT a fan of his i hasten to add.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #32 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 12:54:29 »

Gazza can you explain how you think the subs were correct? A right sided player going on the left ? If we needed ariel targets why not play corr,paynter,and cox up top. If u want crosses going in is it wise to effectivly have no natural wingers?
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 13:10:11 »

The Lowlights will be on ITV shortly.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 13:15:36 »

If Malpas deserves the sack for yesterday's shower of shite, then we should also have sacked Wise and Strurrock immediately after the Morecambe and FGR games in the past two years' first round games. Because they were equally gutless displays from players who think they're far too good to need to exert any effort against non-League opposition because their obvious "class" will carry them through. Like Nick said, yesterday was down to the players and I hope they're ashamed of themselves as we are of them.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 13:22:43 »

[pedant] sturrock was in charge for the morecambe game, byrne and williams in charge for the fgr game [/pedant]

Things get better but they never get good
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 13:23:33 »

I dont know what to say and I obviously wasnt at the game watched the highlights which lasted all of 30 seconds, so I could be totally wrong

...but...it sounds like they dragged us down to their level and beat us with expirence.

As for the manager, I hate threads like this - not to say there arent some valid points but fuck me we seem much more keen to make a fuss and air our views when we lose but when we win every one seems to go quiet or heap praise on the players and players only.

Going out the FA Cup to a club lower than us, isnt uncommon now is it. Histon, Boston, Notts County, Barnet, Stevenage - its nothing new

Lets wait for the response and see what the next two games bring
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 13:35:13 »

[pedant] sturrock was in charge for the morecambe game, byrne and williams in charge for the fgr game [/pedant]
Gah, you're right, although for the FGR game Byrne/Williams had only just taken over - it was still Sturrock's team, with Sturrock's coaching etc. So we should have sacked Strurrock after the Morecambe game and issued a statement saying "Bah, we're glad you're gone, your side just played rubbish against non-League opponents in the cup, you useless git" after the FGR game Smiley

The point still stands, the players have a history of going all Billy Big Bollocks when faced with non-league opposition, irrespective of who's in charge.
sharper

« Reply #38 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 13:45:20 »

Yesterday was disgraceful and embarrassing.....there is no denying that from anyone at Histon yesterday.

I can understand a league side going to a conference side and being 'pulled down' to there level.  In fact this would be offensive to Histon.  They scrapped, battled, shut down, won every second ball, every header, played channel balls effectively etc...I could go on.  We did none of these things.  We were 3rd best.  Even the ref outperformed us.

You could see in the players they didn't fancy a battle.  Fifty fifties were lost continually and the Histon goal summed up the performance.  One of there players wanted the second ball far more than a Swindon defender.

The subs were all wrong.  As soon as we went 1-0 down it was evident we were not going to get back in the game with the same system.  Paytner should have remained on and Malpas should have had the balls to go 3-4-3 far earlier than the last 8 minutes.  Bringing Marshall on was loony.  Macca was completely ineffective in a very physical and direct game......so why bring on the nearest thing to Macca and thats young Marshall!  Malpas would have had better judgement to chuck on young Morrision up front, or if he wanted to keep 4 in midfield bring on Easton, who would at least get stuck in.  Quality alone was not going to win the game yesterday.  If we had matched the effort of Histon we would have got a replay at the very least.  

I have followed Swindon since I was 5, travelling the country to see them play and honestly that would be in my top 5 worst ever experiences of following my team.  Worse than Nottm Forest 7-1, worse than Stevenage -we tried that day.

I could have taken defeat yesterday.  Im often pessemistic and could see this game as an upset.  Saying that I still expect the players to give 150% for the cause as the many town fans did to travel to Cambridge, taking up all Saturday.

I haven't got on Malpas back this season over his job, but after yesterdays debacle they man has to go.  Im dissapointed to come to this conclusion but for the sake of this football club I feel he isnt the right man to steer the ship.

Cya on Wednesday.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 13:53:34 »

...and Histon draw Leeds or Northampton.

If Leeds win their replay that'll be on TV then
Dozno9

« Reply #40 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 13:54:14 »

So Ian Holloway comes in loses 5 on the trot then, we sack him too until we find an immediate winner???

If every failing club switched managers after a poor run then clubs would be turning over managers like there's no tomorrow. I think give him until Christmas, however I am not convinced that he may last until then.
sonic youth

« Reply #41 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 14:12:38 »

this season was never going to be anything but midtable after the end of september.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #42 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 14:31:26 »

Great
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 15:16:24 »

I'm certainly not and I can't think of one Swindon fan who would be pleased either.

Twice this season you've expressed the opinion before a game that you hope we'd lose, to hasten the exit of MM...had we won those 2 we'd be 4 points off teh PO's.

Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #44 on: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 15:23:26 »

So its dell's fault
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: