Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: the youths  (Read 3010 times)
red macca

« on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 14:07:43 »

just wandering if any of you share my optimism about these youngsters ,i must admit the one who has stood out for me is ashan holgate i know he hasnt played first team much but he just seems to play the same level whether its youth,reserve and now first team
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 14:15:02 »

I like the look of Pook, looks reliable and willing to do the donkey work, has not seemed phased at all.

Lapham was very good up at Huddersfield, not quite so good at the CG - which bodes well as he still looked good enough.

Caton is in desperate need of more experience, but the kid is doing 2 'A' Levels too, so will have exams on his mind recently I'd have thought.

Holgate looked like he had no concept of where the goal was whatsoever up at Huddersfield, where he played as a lone striker, but at the CG on the last day he looked more comfortable playing deeper, and wider - caused them a couple of problems too.  He will benefit greatly if Igoe leaves, as I'd like to see him play wide right.
le god cuervo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 14:38:49 »

like i said in another post, holgate is destined to become the swindon ronaldinho!
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 14:44:37 »

The Ruud Gullitt of Swindon more like.
red macca

« Reply #4 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 14:56:20 »

Quote from: "janaage"
The Ruud Gullitt of Swindon more like.
i,ve seen him a few times he is a tricky player but think he is more of striker than winger,your point about huddersfield is true but i must say hardly great circumstances to come on as were they ,pook get him in the gym and will be a good league 1 player same for caton and lapham looks like he just enjoys football which allways helps
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 16:19:54 »

I think Holgate could become a decent player and will hopefully feature more in the first team over the next two years.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 16:57:48 »

Although there is nothing I'd rather see I'm not over optimistic for any of these lads...there are a lot of players of a similar standard out there, so you want to see some stand out qualities...be it pace, skill, work ethic, size etc.

Its fairly obvious that  King is going to have to use a lot of young players this season, the last time this was tried by Trollope we were top after 10 games, but relegated out of this league for the only time by season's end.......the grind of playing lots of hard physical matches over a full season is draining on young players, they need to be properly nurtured......we are just going to do it as a cost cutting measure.
red macca

« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 17:03:13 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Although there is nothing I'd rather see I'm not over optimistic for any of these lads...there are a lot of players of a similar standard out there, so you want to see some stand out qualities...be it pace, skill, work ethic, size etc.

Its fairly obvious that  King is going to have to use a lot of young players this season, the last time this was tried by Trollope we were top after 10 games, but relegated out of this league for the only time by season's end.......the grind of playing lots of hard physical matches over a full season is draining on young players, they need to be properly nurtured......we are just going to do it as a cost cutting measure.
i see what your saying reg but surely its refreshing to see a group of them coming through for a change rather than the one every now and again ie hulbert,mchugh,collins herring,every two or 3 years one comes through and nothing comes of it with a bunch of them if 1 or 2 make it then good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 17:17:56 »

Fair enough, but my point is essentially that for proper youth development you've got to have a belief throughout the club that this is the path to be persued no matter what..rather than we're a bit skint so these kids will play for peanuts......part of this belief needs to stretch as far as the fans and a willingness to stick with that group come what may.
red macca

« Reply #9 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 17:21:53 »

Fair enough, but my point is essentially that for proper youth development you've got to have a belief throughout the club that this is the path to be persued no matter what..rather than we're a bit skint so these kids will play for peanuts......part of this belief needs to stretch as far as the fans and a willingness to stick with that group come what may.
i do agree that king doesnt fill the kids with confidence but sooner or later due to finances i feel kings hand will be forced by the board even more so when u have iffy and ian woan going on and on about them i think the board might start listening.....well i hope so just something i hope i suppose
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 17:44:44 »

Oh I'm sure the board are listening....in the preamble that has arrived on my doormat with the accounts it says and I quote......

This season by Andy King's standards may have been less than some would have expected, but your Board takes fortitude in the fact that we currently enjoy the benefit of a wealth of talent in the Youth Squad. This alone, with careful nurturing and development,heralds an exciting future for the club for the coming seasons.

Its signed by Carson but the curious linguistics are  pure Holtese. In other words a load of kids playingnext season.
red macca

« Reply #11 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 17:55:19 »

Oh I'm sure the board are listening....in the preamble that has arrived on my doormat with the accounts it says and I quote......

This season by Andy King's standards may have been less than some would have expected, but your Board takes fortitude in the fact that we currently enjoy the benefit of a wealth of talent in the Youth Squad. This alone, with careful nurturing and development,heralds an exciting future for the club for the coming seasons.

Its signed by Carson but the curious linguistics are  pure Holtese. In other words a load of kids playingnext season.
Soapy Tit Wank  Soapy Tit Wank does sound like him doesnt it i got a bollocking on the open day last year when they showed me the chairmans chair in the boardroom i said i thought the short ass would of prefered a saddle no sense of humour at all
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 18:09:31 »

ashan holgate is a quality player. he goes to my college as well u cant miss him with that hair! legend!
unclemark

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 18:46:52 »

Lapham sounds promising.  I hope we get to keep that 13 year old who Chelsea are supposedly tracking.  I would like to see the youth teamers more involved next year.
red macca

« Reply #14 on: Friday, May 13, 2005, 19:12:39 »

Quote from: "nozza"
Lapham sounds promising.  I hope we get to keep that 13 year old who Chelsea are supposedly tracking.  I would like to see the youth teamers more involved next year.
personally if we had the kids and finished 12th next season i would be happy rather than buy nobodys and struggle,although i got a sneaky feeling king may suprise us again like two yrs ago
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: