Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vaughan to step down/be pushed  (Read 10826 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 16:34:25 »

I'll cry if it's KP. That would be our only decent batsman going crap. Great.

Not all players turn crap on being made captain...Graham Gooch, got better.

I think it'l be KP.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 16:48:35 »

To be fair to KP i can see him doing well. He's that Graham Smith type captain we need.
STFC Village

« Reply #32 on: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 18:04:06 »

It'll be Strauss for test captain, possibly interim for the final test against SA, KP for the ODI's
sonic youth

« Reply #33 on: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 20:48:34 »

don't think KP's right for the captaincy but then i couldn't tell you who is - cook would be a future option but he's pretty quiet and shy on the field.

vaughan's press conference was very honest and you could see how much the captaincy meant to him but it was definitely the right decision - we're at serious risk of becoming stale after some improvement since '05. the biggest problem is that none of our test cricketers play county cricket, so none have the experience to be captain!

collingwood's decision is fucking bizarre though
Spud

« Reply #34 on: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 20:53:51 »

collingwood's decision is fucking bizarre though

From what i read on the BBCSport website it's because he's banned for the next 3 ODI's so he would be unable to fulfill his duty as Captain.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 21:02:44 »

out of interest, was vaughan a regular captain for yorkshire before playing for england??

Its a bit weird trying to pick a captain, because apart from monty, kp and freddy none are really assured of their place. I dont think you can give it to kp, i just dont trust him. He's a great batsman, i just dont think hes proper captain material, at least not yet. Strauss would get my vote

Edit -  one thing kp has in his favour is his ability to play both forms of the game to the highest level, unlike strauss

Things get better but they never get good
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 21:11:11 »

I'm glad that Vaughan has done the sensible and honourable thing today.It really was the only
course to take and seeing the clips of the press conference,he also knew deep down that he
had to resign and move on.

He's been a very good captain with the Ashes win and the series win in the Carribean, being the
highlights for me.He also had the respect of his players and opponents.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 21:17:31 »

dont forget the south africa series win. 2004/2005 we were probably the best test team in the world

Things get better but they never get good
cib

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 21:58:02 »

Its a bit weird trying to pick a captain, because apart from monty, kp and freddy none are really assured of their place.

I would say from the past 18 months that more than those 3 have been assured their place in the team.

Personally I'm disappointed Vaughan has gone as i still think there are some runs left in him and he's a more than useful skipper, but pressure has proved too much and understand the reasoning. However the scrutiny has been placed at his batting and not the fact that he has had a team of underachievers to marshall since 2005. I'd stick KP as captain, Strauss i don't think would be the right move because in 6 months time after a hypothetical poor run of form he's place could be questioned (even now?). The squad is pretty poor for captains otherwise, so KP for both Tests and ODIs - he maybe selfish but when the shit hits the fan most of the time is KP who pulls out a good score to give us some respectability or more.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 07:49:59 »

Thinking about it, KP does seem the right man.

He's the only player that's really guaranteed a place in both the one-day and test teams. He's got a real determination and loves playing for England. I think his attacking nature would show through his tactics and he's the perfect man to lead by example. Ok, he might not look like the best candidate from a leadership or experience point of view, but that's when you'd look to the senior pro's like Strauss and Collingwood to help out. Most of all though, I think he's got the right mindset to change the way England play. He could be for England what Ponting is for Australia.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 09:15:15 »

Aggers has changed his tune as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tms/2008/08/lack_of_runs_costs_emotional_v.shtml
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 11:54:01 »

7 minutes left, its inevitably Pietersen, but I'm clinging to the hope that it isn't.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 12:01:13 »

It's official. This is going to be brilliant or terrible. I hope its not the one I'm expecting.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 12:03:06 »

Good stuff Cool
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 12:06:57 »

On the bright side, Pietersen's appointment makes me think that there's going to be some fairly sweeping team changes as he had the advantage over the others over being an automatic selection.

Ah well, if you can't beat the Saffas, join them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: