Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: team for the third test?  (Read 9945 times)
sonic youth

« Reply #30 on: Saturday, July 26, 2008, 18:42:18 »

pietersen's mum is english and he came here with the sole intention of playing international cricket for england - he played county cricket until he qualified for notts and hampshire.

patterson has played half a season in english cricket and gets a bizarre call-up ahead of more experienced and arguably more talented players. according to his father, he just wanted to play international cricket...fair enough, but it's not as if he's likely to have much affinity with a country he barely knew and a cricketing nation he's had scant involvement with.

i don't think the two are particularly similar at all. strauss is south african born, if he'd chosen to play for south africa that would be a more accurate comparison.

personally i don't give a fuck if someone is english or not so long as they're good enough, professional enough and dedicated enough.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, July 26, 2008, 18:47:58 »

i think if he'd have taken 10 wickets in the match then none of this hoo-ha would have happened, at least not to the extent it has

Things get better but they never get good
sonic youth

« Reply #32 on: Saturday, July 26, 2008, 20:14:29 »

that's not the point though is it?
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, July 27, 2008, 09:21:56 »

This team selection is the one that should have happened before Headingley.I still think Geoff Miller needed his roof tiled and thats why he picked Pattinson Wink

Harmison has played well enough in county cricket to warrant a recall,and if he had played in yorkshire he probably would have been blamed for englands top order batsmen not getting any runs instead of Pattinson.Surely changes should be made in that top order?I mean i watched Shah play a suberb innings in the 20/20 final last night,of course its much different to test stuff,but it seems as if changes to the batting line up aren't even considered.Virgils lack of form is the issue i guess,he's in the team as captain not for his runs,just hope he starts getting some soon.....but then been saying that for a long time.

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, July 27, 2008, 09:30:53 »

its a bit of a puzzle why shah doesnt play more for england. its not as if he's ever majorly let england down consistently, that i can think of

Things get better but they never get good
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, July 27, 2008, 09:55:05 »

For some reason the selectors don't seem to like Owais Shah,with regards to test match cricket.
Remember the winter tour to Sri Lanka? Shah was crying out to be picked at Number 6,but they
went for the flavour of the month,Ravi Bopara.The predictable result was that Bopara failed and
the tail went down like a deck of cards.Bopara is a good 1 day player,but Shah has the quality to
make it in the test arena,if given the time.It reminds me of the Chris Read situation,class keeper,
but for some reason his face did not fit.

Ambrose worries me,but the selectors to save face,seem to want to stick by him come what may.
His glove work is average and he flatters to deceive with his batting.Under pressure i'd suggest in
thursdays test.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, July 27, 2008, 13:11:25 »

bopara was picked too early, shah has been harsly dealt with

chris read has had plenty of chances but cannot bat at the top level

ambrose is a very good keeper and a good bat. the best fit between keeping and batting ability that england have
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, July 27, 2008, 14:19:36 »

ambrose is a very good keeper and a good bat. the best fit between keeping and batting ability that england have

One of the problems is that most of the candidates for the wicketkeeping role, are all much of a

muchness.They all have their faults,either with their batting or keeping.Ambrose's keeping this

summer has been pretty average and he's had one good innnings in the home series with NZ.

If he wants to cement his place,then he's going to have to up his game.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
cib

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, July 28, 2008, 16:01:40 »

One of the problems is that most of the candidates for the wicketkeeping role, are all much of a

muchness
.They all have their faults,either with their batting or keeping.Ambrose's keeping this

summer has been pretty average and he's had one good innnings in the home series with NZ.

If he wants to cement his place,then he's going to have to up his game.

I'm pretty sure i've said this earlier, Ambrose will be stuck with, hopefully he'll get some runs this week in Birmingham.

Boeta: Chris Read didn't have plenty of chances - the way he was dropped for the last Ashes tour for Jones, after scoring some runs in the previous home series was disgraceful - his 2nd chance (his first when he was 19) but his face didn't fit. Not to say he is good enough for England just think he wasn't given a fair crack - unlike GI Jones himself.
sonic youth

« Reply #39 on: Monday, July 28, 2008, 17:55:22 »

bopara was picked too early, shah has been harsly dealt with

chris read has had plenty of chances but cannot bat at the top level

holy shit. i agree!

bopara needs a few more years under his belt, definitely one for the future in the ODI arena at any rate. the constant overlooking of shah baffles me - why doesn't he get picked? what's he done wrong? it'll be interesting to see if he gets picked for the india tour.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 14:31:28 »

So Harmy and Broad not selected, only 4 bowlers 3 of whom have recent dodgy injury probs. We'd better win the toss.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 14:33:18 »

Wasn't Pietersen actually born in England too? I swear he lived her until he was 7 or something?

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Rich Pullen

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 14:39:19 »

Wasn't Pietersen actually born in England too? I swear he lived her until he was 7 or something?

You're right, that is if Pietermaritzburg's in England.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 14:49:33 »

No real surprise to see Harmison left out,given the conditions,state of the pitch etc
and his record at Edgbaston.Just hope that Sidebottom has fully recovered.

Rich Pullen

« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 14:54:29 »

No real surprise to see Harmison left out,given the conditions,state of the pitch etc
and his record at Edgbaston.Just hope that Sidebottom has fully recovered.

Am I the only one happy that Collingwood is back?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: