Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: a losing draw??????  (Read 1972 times)
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« on: Monday, July 14, 2008, 14:37:13 »

basically me and the mrs have joined our local cricket club just for the cheap beers etc and have no interest in playing or even watching.

but on saturday the result was apparently a losing draw? how the fuck can you lose when you draw???
surely you lose, draw or win. simple?Huh?!!!!!
« Last Edit: Monday, July 14, 2008, 14:41:54 by magicroundabout » Logged

sonic youth

« Reply #1 on: Monday, July 14, 2008, 15:06:14 »

you draw but get less points than your opposition
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, July 14, 2008, 15:11:40 »

so you finish on the same score but have taken less wickets or something

cib

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, July 14, 2008, 15:25:29 »

so you finish on the same score but have taken less wickets or something
No - that'd be a tie. Say the team batting first got 250 runs (number wickets doesn't matter), but the chasing team didn't manage to equal or beat it - the chasing team would get a losing draw, and the team who batted first would get a winning draw.

In the league i play in you can get 6-8 points for winning draw (+ bonus points for number wickets and number runs you scored) and 2-4 points for losing draw (+ bonus). Number of points depends on how close/quickly second batting team scored their runs
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 14, 2008, 15:41:32 »

No - that'd be a tie. Say the team batting first got 250 runs (number wickets doesn't matter), but the chasing team didn't manage to equal or beat it - the chasing team would get a losing draw, and the team who batted first would get a winning draw.

In the league i play in you can get 6-8 points for winning draw (+ bonus points for number wickets and number runs you scored) and 2-4 points for losing draw (+ bonus). Number of points depends on how close/quickly second batting team scored their runs

to me that still doesn't make sence. surely you either win or lose?

cib

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, July 14, 2008, 15:54:09 »

or
to me that still doesn't make sence. surely you either win or lose?

Well it should be and is in some leagues, there has been number of occasions where teams batted second have not attempted to chase a score down because they know its too much for them, knowing they'd get points as long as they lasted the overs out. Doesn't neccesarily mean competitive cricket if you look at it for one game, but makes the league tables much tighter as more points are up for grabs etc. I'd rather it be win/lose but rules be rules
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: