Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Staying or going? Rhys Evans  (Read 1354 times)
STFCDude

« on: Tuesday, May 3, 2005, 10:37:27 »

Nicked from thisis...

Taking my time over future plans
30th April 2005

EVERYONE I seem to meet is asking me about my contract situation at the moment and I’m sure I’m not the only player in that boat.

There’s nothing I can really say at this stage other than I’ve had the offer and I’m looking at it.

It might not be the answer people want to hear but I don’t think important decisions should be rushed.

Anyway, that’s all about next season and we’ve the current one to finish first.

We go to Huddersfield today and I’m just hoping the weather is rather kinder than it was on my last visit.

I was on the bench for Queens Park Rangers while a certain Mr Digby was in goal.

It was very windy and I hope there’s no repeat of those conditions.

Injuries have hit us hard ahead of the game and it looks like the youngsters will be involved again.

Pooky took his chance last week so maybe someone else will take the opportunity to shine today and emulate his success.

Talking of youngsters, the Under 18s have their cup final at Burnley on Monday.

I’d like to wish them well.

I remember being called out of school one afternoon to play for Chelsea in the FA Youth Cup.

We reached the semi-finals and my teammates included a certain Mr S Parkin and some defender called John Terry.

John of course picked up the PFA player of the year award on Sunday and having played with him at Chelsea I was pleased to see him rewarded for his efforts this season.

As a youngster he was forever refining his game, putting in the hours and I’ve total respect for him.

He expected a lot of himself but he expected a lot of those around him.

Talking of Chelsea, the Champions League semi-final is very finely poised at the halfway point.

It’s difficult to say just who has the advantage or disadvantage at this stage. You can make a case for both teams.

An early goal might prove crucial but then even if Liverpool get it Chelsea have enough about them to score as well.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2005, 12:22:16 »

The line you've highlighted just says he's taking his time, which is understandable - they're all going to want the best possible deals.  However, I have a suspiscion Evans will leave as he fancies himself as a better player than he is, and he hasn't justified himself as one of the club's top earners this season, having a fairly mediocre season by his standards - made some spectacular saves but made some spectacular blunders at the same time.

We can get a replacement, I don't see losing Evans as a problem.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2005, 14:57:36 »

well, hopefully him being a swindon lad might persuade him to stay.
Dazzza

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2005, 15:15:30 »

Likely to stay I believe, unless the contract he's offered is less than what he is already on.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2005, 15:21:02 »

I couldn't care less either way.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 3, 2005, 20:00:07 »

gone...
DMR

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 4, 2005, 12:22:27 »

Goodbye then
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, May 5, 2005, 10:19:06 »

Quote from: "OOH!  SHAUN TAYLOR"
I couldn't care less either way.

Ditto. Reasonable enough keeper, but I am more worried by the outfield players that may be leaving...
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, May 5, 2005, 10:45:11 »

Only problem is really getting a keeper capable of playing at this level is quite a hard job, look at the keepers we've had at this level Griemink, Talia, McInney (dodgy spelling, but I cannot be arsed to check it) Jimmy Glass.  

It is hard to find a keeper that isn't going to make mistakes, so I'd sooner keep Evans, rather than risk having someone like our previous blunder boys, at least he's better than them.

Add this to the fact that we already need to replace Book.  Does not bode well I'm affraid if Evans does go, his replacement will no doubt a worse keeper than him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: