Pages: 1 ... 2878 2879 2880 [2881] 2882 2883 2884 ... 3963   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8867563 times)
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #43200 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 08:48:47 »

I know that we are not in a situation to be that picky with players, bit i still find it amazing listening to the LSPOD today how much people overrate players based on friendlies. Ndjoli (spelling) has got no chance of being any good, but they liked him?

In preseason, where there is no pace to the game and lots of space if a trialist doesn't look outstanding then they will not cut it. Average performances do not mean they are remotely good enough.

The only trialist i liked (outside Grant, who i think was a little off the pace in truth) was the midfield youth from Chelsea. Very slight but played the game in the 'correct' way and clearly the way Garner wants to play. I think a proper footballer like that lad to complement Grant and another would be decent.

I don't think McKirdy is worth it either. We started with the classic 4231 with Gladwin, Payne and McKirdy behind Simpson. One of those three needs pace and to be able to get behind. Neither Gladwin nor Payne will, so i think McKirdy is just not what we need. Interesting that in post match Garner only talked about Grant and Odimayo, so perhaps he agrees.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 2, 2021, 09:02:48 by Riddick » Logged
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #43201 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 09:03:29 »

I know that we are not in a situation to be that picky with players, bit i still find it amazing listening to the LSPOD today how much people overrate players based on friendlies. Ndjoli (spelling) has got no chance of being any good, but they liked him?

In preseason, where there is no pace to the game and lots of space if a trialist doesn't look outstanding then they will not cut it. Average performances do not mean they are remotely good enough.

The only trialist i liked (outside Grant, who i think was a little off the pace in truth) was the midfield youth from Chelsea. Very slight but played the game in the 'correct' way and clearly the way Garner wants to play. I think a proper footballer like that lad to complement Grant and another would be decent.

I think what I liked about Ndjoli is he had 20 minutes with effectively no good players on just another 9 trialists and our keeper and still managed to make an impact.  He worked hard, battled, won tackles and effectively made chances for himself.  Good attitude and had a bit about him, I wouldn't rule him out even as a squad player.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 2, 2021, 09:07:07 by stfctownenda » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #43202 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 09:17:19 »

I don't think McKirdy is worth it either. We started with the classic 4231 with Gladwin, Payne and McKirdy behind Simpson. One of those three needs pace and to be able to get behind. Neither Gladwin nor Payne will, so i think McKirdy is just not what we need. Interesting that in post match Garner only talked about Grant and Odimayo, so perhaps he agrees.
When we are still under EFL restrictions - can’t pay above £1200 pw - what kind of player would you expect?
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #43203 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 09:18:48 »

I think what I liked about Ndjoli is he had 20 minutes with effectively no good players on just another 9 trialists and our keeper and still managed to make an impact.  He worked hard, battled, won tackles and effectively made chances for himself.  Good attitude and had a bit about him, I wouldn't rule him out even as a squad player.

I guess.

I just think, and as the Ben's have said, as hard as it is, we don't need to rush the squad full of anyone we can find at this point. It was said quite rightly that you would hope Simpson is the young backup, and not our go to striker, so i'm not sure you can have another back up.

I think at this point its unclear just what to expect from inevitable signing. Since the changes the only real ones (not planned pre arrival) have been Gladwin, who is far above what i would of expected, and raised my expectations, and Simpson who looks like he has something, but is on the lower end of my expectations being a youth player from a team only one division above.

The more Ndjoli's there end up being the more and more of a struggle this will be. The more Gladwin like signings the more optimistic we may be able to become.
kaufman

« Reply #43204 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 09:29:08 »

I'd agree with stfctownenda.
I'd add Ndjoli was more effective than Simpson in his time on the pitch but he's had more time with the squad.
We do need bigger signings and we're going to have to be patient.
I've been sat pondering what kind of money Clem is willing to put in for the playing budget? Once we're in a place in the transfer window that puts us more on a level playing field rules wise with the other L2 clubs.
It's gonna be an interesting few weeks that's for sure. Buckle up kids.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 2, 2021, 09:31:08 by kaufman » Logged
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #43205 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 09:38:35 »

Odimayo set to sign a new 1 year deal

Source: Football League World (who are reputable)

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sources-swindon-town-on-verge-of-contract-agreement-to-keep-key-ace-after-u-turn/
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #43206 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 09:41:36 »

I'd agree with stfctownenda.
I'd add Ndjoli was more effective than Simpson in his time on the pitch but he's had more time with the squad.
We do need bigger signings and we're going to have to be patient.
I've been sat pondering what kind of money Clem is willing to put in for the playing budget? Once we're in a place in the transfer window that puts us more on a level playing field rules wise with the other L2 clubs.
It's gonna be an interesting few weeks that's for sure. Buckle up kids.

I expect there was a number of thanks but no thanks after Saturdays game and I also expect another influx of trialists during the week with a last minute ‘friendly cum development’ game behind closed doors somewhere. Furthermore I also expect many more development games to hone fitness, formations and have a look at whoever is left looking for a club that fits our needs. Up until the close of the window and our 100% release from any embargo constraints that is the way it is likely to be.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #43207 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 09:49:49 »

I think we need to be a bit sensible here, we are extremely late to the party this window. I really would not be surprised to see someone like Ndjoli gambled on for 6 months, until we can find upgrades in January.
Flashheart

« Reply #43208 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 09:51:34 »

we are extremely late to the party this window.

Yet, according to the Bens, most of their targets are still available. Or at least they were a week or so ago. Better players tend to be signed later in the window.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #43209 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 09:54:50 »

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sources-swindon-town-on-verge-of-contract-agreement-to-keep-key-ace-after-u-turn/
I would be pleased with this, there is no guarantee that any new signing coming in would be better than Odimayo as hes a known quantity and for me looked our best young player last season.

There is no doubt at all that we need creative players and at least one more striker, we can't rely on Simpson and Parsons but thats obvious and I am 100% certain that Garner/Chorley/Clem can see that too and we will see several new faces before Saturdays 1st game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kaufman

« Reply #43210 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:05:29 »

As i've only followed the club really on the radio this past year and don't have ifollow. Can someone enlighten me of Odimayo's strengths and why he's been sought after?

Was he playing more central towards the end of last season or RB?
Last season was just a blur....A horrible horrible blur.
Back to transfer rumours soon as obviously.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #43211 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:06:11 »

Yet, according to the Bens, most of their targets are still available. Or at least they were a week or so ago. Better players tend to be signed later in the window.

Yet this window is not like any other window is it? Do the ‘rules and norms’ of windows past apply now? Maybe they do maybe they don’t, add to that the perilous position we have found ourselves in. We don’t have the luxury of times gone by to ‘take a punt’ on a player knowing we have some sort of strength in depth within the squad to carry someone until they can be released or jogged on.

We also clearly don’t know their targets or how many there are or how our embargo effects who we can possibly sign with the surmised wage constraint. And, how many of those targets would want to come to a basket case of a club like Swindon who are not so much as a Phoenix rising from the ashes more a charred smouldering corpse crawling from a burning fire started by the previous owner. Lest not forget we still have yet to face the wrath of the EFL&FA which could be points or a fine or both. Players who can afford to be choosey will be choosey, those who cannot will turn up anywhere to get a gig. I’m hopeful the Bens will come good but it will be a slow process with some surprise signings I’m sure.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #43212 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:08:21 »

Gets a thumbs up from me.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #43213 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:10:32 »

Yet this window is not like any other window is it? Do the ‘rules and norms’ of windows past apply now? Maybe they do maybe they don’t, add to that the perilous position we have found ourselves in. We don’t have the luxury of times gone by to ‘take a punt’ on a player knowing we have some sort of strength in depth within the squad to carry someone until they can be released or jogged on.

We also clearly don’t know their targets or how many there are or how our embargo effects who we can possibly sign with the surmised wage constraint. And, how many of those targets would want to come to a basket case of a club like Swindon who are not so much as a Phoenix rising from the ashes more a charred smouldering corpse crawling from a burning fire started by the previous owner. Lest not forget we still have yet to face the wrath of the EFL&FA which could be points or a fine or both. Players who can afford to be choosey will be choosey, those who cannot will turn up anywhere to get a gig. I’m hopeful the Bens will come good but it will be a slow process with some surprise signings I’m sure.
I’d say the signing of Gladwin and the supposed re-signing of Odimayo and Payne shows that the club is seen as an ex basket club and is now one on the up. We’re a Doyle-like signing away from being very competitive this season.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #43214 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:11:15 »

Exactly
Pages: 1 ... 2878 2879 2880 [2881] 2882 2883 2884 ... 3963   Go Up
Print
Jump to: