Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next Season  (Read 5408 times)
red macca

« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2008, 16:15:34 »

Quote from: "fatbury"
Looking at the side -- keepers GOOD tick
central defenders - Ifil Aljofree Kanyuka GOOD tick
full backs - Vincent Comminges Smith Nicholas OK tick .. maybe a better left back?
midfield - Peacock and Easton and Pook OK tick - need one quality central midfielder
wings - JPM Zaaboub McNamee Roberts ok - maybe need a goalscoring winger?? tho low priority
stikers - Cox Corr Paynter Sturrock - Cox and Corr ok but 2nd priority after quality central mid is a new striker who can score a few -- maybe Parkin??

my side for next year

Brez
Comminges Ifil Aljofree new LB
McNamee Peacock NEW CM Zaaboub
Cox New F

So all in all only 3 players out really
Please please please stop it how and why is peacock a better option than easton

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2008, 16:17:47 »

because he has charisma.
footballing ability is second to alot of fans.hence why he won player of the year last season
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2008, 16:42:16 »

I can't fault Peacocks commitment and he comes across as a likeable bloke, but if we want a side that can realistically challenge for automatic promotion next season we need quality players in every position.

It'll be interesting to see what MM does in the summer with regard to the squad and how much financial backing he'll be given.

As for Malpas not being the man for the job, you can only go on what he's done since he's been here, with a team he mostly inherited.

It's All Good..............
adje

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2008, 16:51:44 »

I'm fairly happy with Malpas except for the fact that he picks Pook.What do managers see in this bloke?Someone said earlier that he could get better but the bloke cant shoot pass or head a ball.He runs around a lot and puts a few tackles in but I do that on a Sunday morning!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
red macca

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2008, 16:58:03 »

Quote from: "adje"
I'm fairly happy with Malpas except for the fact that he picks Pook.What do managers see in this bloke?Someone said earlier that he could get better but the bloke cant shoot pass or head a ball.He runs around a lot and puts a few tackles in but I do that on a Sunday morning!
to be fair pook only really plays when we have no other option
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2008, 17:22:17 »

Quote from: "red macca"
Quote from: "DV"
Quote from: "Power to people"
Quote from: "Si Pie"
Not if he isn't motivated enough DV

I don't think we can get anyone more motivated than Peacock tbh, he always gives 100%
so does pook fuck it lets not worry about ability anymore

Peacocks got ability though....
whats that his goalscoring or his defence splitting passes?

His work rate, his effort, his commitment, his heading ability, his distribution, he use of the ball, his tackling, his breaking up of play, his leadership, his comminication, his tracking back.

He doesnt score goals or come out with defence splitting passes, but that isnt his job is it.

His job to break up play and stop the opposition playing, giving them no time on the ball and he does that.

When he wins the ball, he uses it well and finds the simple pass.

I think our current bunch of players is better than some are giving them credit for. I dont think we need a major overhaul to have a proper play off push.

If we hadnt of changed managers and had that spell where we had what seemed like half our team out injured who knows....there was also the first few games where we lacked some strikers. Cox, Paytner and a fit Barry Corr from the start of the season....

The main thing we've lacked this season for the most part is a striker partnership. The best one is Paynter and Cox hopefully they'll get a run in the side now.

Brezovan

Comminges
Ifil
Aljofree
Vincent

JPM
Peacock
Easton
McNamee

Paynter
Cox

Get those 11 playing every week and hopefully they will add a bit of consistency to their game.....and we'll do alright.
red macca

« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2008, 17:25:48 »

Quote from: "Power to people"
Quote from: "Si Pie"
Not if he isn't motivated enough DV

I don't think we can get anyone more motivated than Peacock tbh, he always gives 100%
so does pook fuck it lets not worry about ability anymore

Peacocks got ability though....
whats that his goalscoring or his defence splitting passes?

His work rate, his effort, his commitment, his heading ability, his distribution, he use of the ball, his tackling, his breaking up of play, his leadership, his comminication, his tracking back.

He doesnt score goals or come out with defence splitting passes, but that isnt his job is it.

His job to break up play and stop the opposition playing, giving them no time on the ball and he does that.

When he wins the ball, he uses it well and finds the simple pass.

I think our current bunch of players is better than some are giving them credit for. I dont think we need a major overhaul to have a proper play off push.

If we hadnt of changed managers and had that spell where we had what seemed like half our team out injured who knows....there was also the first few games where we lacked some strikers. Cox, Paytner and a fit Barry Corr from the start of the season....

The main thing we've lacked this season for the most part is a striker partnership. The best one is Paynter and Cox hopefully they'll get a run in the side now.

Brezovan

Comminges
Ifil
Aljofree
Vincent

JPM
Peacock
Easton
McNamee

Paynter
Cox

Get those 11 playing every week and hopefully they will add a bit of consistency to their game.....and we'll do alright.
Dv thats what easton is their for we do not need two of the same in the middle is all i am trying to say
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2008, 17:31:24 »

Where as right now I think we do need both of them in there.

I dont know about you, but I was at Forest on Saturday and our midfield lack the same steel it does with Peacock in there.

Again, every game Peacock has missed this season with injury we've missed him.....

The way we play, we have two in the middle who to break up play and supply the wingers. Its then their job to get the ball in the box and set up the goals.

Really, Easton should be the one getting further forward he's got better attacking attributes than Peacock has
adje

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2008, 17:34:20 »

He looked a little rusty saturday,understandably but I  have to now admit that we miss Peacock

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, February 19, 2008, 19:45:15 »

We should get a team full of blacks and be sponsered by Desmonds. That would be fucking quality, also sell rice and peas and jerk chicken in the concourses  Cool
DMR

« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2008, 07:24:28 »

Quote from: "arriba"
disagree about vincent he's missed badly when not in the side.keeps it simple and goes about his job well.a leader and a talker too.

we need a 20+ goal scorer.cox could be that man but aint there yet.
a centre mid better than what we have is the most crucial player we need imo.
apart from that we are pretty strong i reckon.but if player lack form-ie roberts, then obviously those areas will need replacing.

I'd agree with that. A quality playmaker alongside Easty is what we really need.

A decent reserve keeper for Smith or Brez if one leaves would be all I'd add.
DMR

« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2008, 07:24:55 »

Quote from: "arriba"
disagree about vincent he's missed badly when not in the side.keeps it simple and goes about his job well.a leader and a talker too.

we need a 20+ goal scorer.cox could be that man but aint there yet.
a centre mid better than what we have is the most crucial player we need imo.
apart from that we are pretty strong i reckon.but if player lack form-ie roberts, then obviously those areas will need replacing.

I'd agree with that. A quality playmaker alongside Easty is what we really need.

A decent reserve keeper for Smith or Brez if one leaves would be all I'd add.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2008, 10:28:36 »

The way we play, we have two in the middle to break up play and supply the wingers. Its then their job to get the ball in the box and set up the goals.

Agreed, that's Sturrock's style and on a good day (vs Cheltenham) it works. As we have Sturrock's team this is a style we should stick to and try to exploit as successfully as possible for the rest of the season. To this end, Peacock is a decent midfielder for us. And he must also have the best aerial ability of any midfielder in our division.

Malpas obviously wants to change the style and have a creative central midfielder, hence the McGovern experiment, so he will no doubt be looking for one in the summer. As the McGovern experiment proved though, we don't have anyone who can do it at the moment, so stick with what you know should be the policy.

And to be honest, good creative midfielders are probably quite hard to come by at this level, which is no doubt why Sturrock developed a system to win lower league football matches without one in the first place.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, February 20, 2008, 12:11:07 »

Reading this stuff my mind wanders back to 67/68....we had a decent side for this level,  good going forward,  so strong at home but very dodgy away. Inconsistency cost us though and we finished 10th...no PO's then so a long way off the top 2, needed for promotion.

In the close season Dannny Williams made two or three changes, Mel Nurse wanted to return to Wales, so Frank Burrows came in a like for like swap.  Pat Terry, who was a journeyman (but very good) striker left.

But the next move was the key....Williams brought in John Smith....Smith was a a play maker, he wore number 9, but played deep, Peter Noble was pushed up front more or less on his own.

Wallop....we had the best side in our post war history.

We got Smith from Torquay, where he'd gone to graze and drink cider...he was overweight, and had been close to a career at the top with both Spurs and West Ham, but he was a footballer who could pass.

I guess its what good management is all about being able to see what's required, and having a bit of luck in it turning out.

We need an equivalent of Smith.....I suppose in more recent times Micky Hazard, would be that type of player....again ex Spurs, and a playmaker.   Someone who didn't quite make it at the top.

Paul Evans, briefly last season, showed the sort of thing we need.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: