Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Patio Heaters to be banned  (Read 5021 times)
genf_stfc

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 14:54:31 »

a mate of mine just won the nobel prize for it (actually true - al gore might be a bit of a tit, but at least he had the decency to share the prize with the scientists that actually did the work)

oh, and stop fishing !
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 14:58:45 »

I spent 4 days on the beach for xmas and did not get sunburned. If that is not conclusive then I don't know what is.
red macca

« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 15:02:34 »

Straight up Gen im not fishing its just a massive £££££ con imo .

Fair play to your mate though ,would be interested to read some of his stuff
genf_stfc

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 15:23:15 »

certainly a lot of whats said about it is cobblers and used as an excuse to add another fiver to your plane ticket, which doesn't really help anyone realise that climate change is real, it is man made and we're 100% buggered if we don't do owt about it.

on the other side, statements about things like the Sun cooling down, which have absolutely no scientifically supported effect, are used to discount climate change and justify not doing anything about all the black smoke coming out of your factory's chimney.

article about the award and links on the site to the work if interested
http://www.noc.soton.ac.uk/nocs/news.php?action=display_news&idx=410

one might well question exactly what this has to do with Peace, but anyway its pretty damn cool.  I think there was 1million quid prize money, which was, err shared amongst 3000 people, but anywaybetter than a poke in the eye with a stick.

while we are on science, UK science is more fucked today (cancellation of solar physics, which has implications for understanding climate change) than it was even yesterday (cancellation of Gemini telescopes, which we already spent about 60 million quid building, but now can't use) because some idiots in STFC (polaris house, not magic roundabout) can't add up.   We actually are an international laughing stock.  Don't get me started on that.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 15:26:40 »

Quote from: "genf_stfc"
while we are on science, UK science is more fucked today (cancellation of solar physics, which has implications for understanding climate change) than it was even yesterday (cancellation of Gemini telescopes, which we already spent about 60 million quid building, but now can't use) because some idiots in STFC (polaris house, not magic roundabout) can't add up.   We actually are an international laughing stock.  Don't get me started on that.

My sister works in accounts at STFC :--
genf_stfc

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 15:28:26 »

i bet she's busy at the moment then ! Ask her what's getting cancelled tomorrow, i'd love to know !
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 15:33:10 »

I think its actually a fact that the is cooling, but it will take something like a gzillion years for it to drop by 1 degree.
red macca

« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 15:33:52 »

Quote from: "BANGKOK RED"
I think its actually a fact that the is cooling, but it will take something like a gzillion years for it to drop by 1 degree.
Thats what i thought
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 16:15:38 »

Quote from: "genf_stfc"
certainly a lot of whats said about it is cobblers and used as an excuse to add another fiver to your plane ticket, which doesn't really help anyone realise that climate change is real, it is man made and we're 100% buggered if we don't do owt about it.

on the other side, statements about things like the Sun cooling down, which have absolutely no scientifically supported effect, are used to discount climate change and justify not doing anything about all the black smoke coming out of your factory's chimney.

article about the award and links on the site to the work if interested
http://www.noc.soton.ac.uk/nocs/news.php?action=display_news&idx=410

one might well question exactly what this has to do with Peace, but anyway its pretty damn cool.  I think there was 1million quid prize money, which was, err shared amongst 3000 people, but anywaybetter than a poke in the eye with a stick.

what a load of bollocks.

STFC can liase with the owners of Gemini any time they like and they already share data. We don't need full time staff there and we don't need to fund it.

Plus the fact that STFC have nothing to do with climate change, that is handled by the Natural Enviroment Research Council - NERC for short.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 16:16:46 »

oh and here's the funding FAQ here. The budget has been increased by 80 million this year.

http://pacrowther.staff.shef.ac.uk/stfc.html#faq
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 18:27:58 »

Most overpriced item ever FACT.
neville w

« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 19:45:38 »

Quote from: "Sussex"
Patio Heaters isn't the name of a foreign footballer then. Whoops.

Irish, Sussex, Irish
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, January 31, 2008, 00:35:25 »

sounds like a sandwich Birdy would enjoy  Cheesy
genf_stfc

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, January 31, 2008, 12:31:03 »

Quote from: "jayohaitchenn"

what a load of bollocks.

STFC can liase with the owners of Gemini any time they like and they already share data. We don't need full time staff there and we don't need to fund it.

no we can't share the data- we've been kicked out, and we owe them penalty payments for dropping all the other members in it financially.  plus we already spent millions building something we now can't use.

http://www.gemini.edu/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=270

Plus the fact that STFC have nothing to do with climate change, that is handled by the Natural Enviroment Research Council - NERC for short.

true, but there would certainly be applications through solar and terrestrial physics research, which has just been effectively killed off

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7213917.stm
genf_stfc

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, January 31, 2008, 12:39:53 »

Quote from: "jayohaitchenn"
oh and here's the funding FAQ here. The budget has been increased by 80 million this year.

http://pacrowther.staff.shef.ac.uk/stfc.html#faq

...and that link points to a FAQ that explains exactly how the extra money all disappeared in things like subscriptions, running costs etc and represents an 80mill "shortfall".

and this is the wrong forum to be wingeing about it on, so i'll shut it now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: