Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindons greatest striker goes to.....  (Read 2918 times)
Johno

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, March 30, 2005, 10:28:48 »

http://www.thisisstfc.co.uk/News_Headlines_Story.asp?NewsID=4201

Duncan Shearer! well never saw him play but his stats are good enough to win me over!  Wink
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2005, 10:43:12 »

Shearer was fantastic.  My all time favourite player.  He could score all types of goals - headers, volleys, long range efforts, tap ins, left foot, right foot you name it.  AND he set up goals as well.

He should have played a lot more times for Scotland IMO.  Just don't get me started on how we sold him to Blackburn, our immediate play off rivals on transfer deadline day when he was on 32 goals for the season and how we drew 5 of our remaining games after he left which, had he been playing we would have won.......just don't get me started :evil:
Titch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2005, 10:45:58 »

I also never saw Shearer but have been told he was fantastic!  I still can't believe, like you OST, that we sold him as we did!  Why did we?  Was it just money? Surely we would have made plenty of money by keeping cause of promotion etc!

y wings are like a shield of steel!
Titch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2005, 10:47:42 »

"Harry Morris boasted the best goals per game ratio among the contenders, blasting an astonishing 230 goals in 280 games."

That is a phenominal record!!

y wings are like a shield of steel!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2005, 10:51:03 »

The excuse given by the club is that they were facing a winding up order from the Inland Revenue and they had to be paid immediately (hmmmm....sound familiar?).  Reg said in another thread that he met Dalglish years later and he admitted he didn't really fancy Shearer (God knows why not) but saw it as a good opportunity to scupper the chances of one of their rivals (which of course it well and truly did).

What a club :evil:
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2005, 11:58:44 »

can't believe it. someone told me all about that two but these things happen in football! bloody blackburn.
Piemonte

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2005, 13:01:10 »

Shearer was great. Him and chalky white were possibly the best strike partnership I've seen the the glorous red shirt.

Shearer was a funny player though. I remember him missing some sitters, nad looking slightly donkeyish at times but would then crack one in the top corner from the edge if the box.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2005, 13:31:51 »

Shearer was an amazing goalscorer, so good at first I thought it was him when Shearer was banging them in every week for Blackburn, turned out it was Alan though.

I preffered Fjortoft though, more natural talent and more entertaining.
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2005, 13:41:45 »

Shearer was class, and as someone said had a lethal partnership with Steve White. Fucking Dalglish.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, March 31, 2005, 15:06:31 »

Now correct me if I'm wrong but did Parkin finish ahead of Fjortoft?

If so, it really does confirm that most Swindon fans are as thick as pig shit (not you lot obviously  Wink )
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, March 31, 2005, 15:11:28 »

Shearer was class, one of those striker that did nothing all game then bang in the winner.  Loved the fella.  But then Jan came along and I found out what real love really was.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, March 31, 2005, 15:25:34 »

The first time I saw Deadly Dunc....was at WBA second game of the season 88...predictably he looked crap....in fact I thought he was ill......it was in reality his pale complexion against all the others who had recently been on their hols.

He didn't really get going until the second half of the season, which more or less coincided with the emergence of Alan Mac....who came in around turn of the year, demolished the scum and never looked back.

In reality our best ever striker has to be Harry Morris, although I never saw him play.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: