Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First test  (Read 6206 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 21:20:49 »

The Umpires can only do what the rules say though. The playing through all light idea is abit silly aswell

Things get better but they never get good
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 21:36:52 »

Quote from: "STFC dave"
The Umpires can only do what the rules say though. The playing through all light idea is abit silly aswell

No it isn't at all. Why should light affect play? Floodlights exist nowadays so you can always turn them on. I seem to remember us batting out at dusk in Pakistan a few years ago with Hussain and Thorpe so we could win the game. Why couldn't they stay out their today and try and force a result?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 21:49:06 »

Because i doubt many batsmen would like to facing 95 mph bouncers in near total darkness. It wouldnt exactly be very safe.

Lumps

« Reply #48 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 21:52:55 »

Quote from: "Rich"
If the roles were reversed, im pretty sure England would of been reluctant to go out and bat again aswell. You cant really complain

I don't blame the Indians at all. Of course they are going to go off. It's the umpires i'm annoyed with. We should play through all light especially when there is a result to be had

I agree it wasn't that bloody dark when they went off and we had spin at both ends.

Bastard!
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 22:01:22 »

Because i doubt many batsmen would like to facing 95 mph bouncers in near total darkness. It wouldnt exactly be very safe.

Like i said turn the floodlights on  Wink
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, July 23, 2007, 22:05:31 »

meh. its just not the same though is it

neville w

« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 07:34:53 »

If the roles were reversed, im pretty sure England would of been reluctant to go out and bat again aswell. You cant really complain

I don't blame the Indians at all. Of course they are going to go off. It's the umpires i'm annoyed with. We should play through all light especially when there is a result to be had

How would you have felt if the Indians had wanted 5 to win with 5 wickets left ?  If there are rules, they shouldn't vary according to the state of the game.

PS (No floodlights at Lords)
PPS  I think they've removed the 'danger' aspect of it now
I agree the Pakistan example was stretching it past the limit
mattboyslim

« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 07:36:38 »

Agreed Nev - Ultimately the batsman get the choice when the decision is offered - I'd imagine the lighting conditions were the same as previous days when they had gone off for bad light.  It's extremely frustrating, but at least England can take the moral victory, not that it counts for a lot.
Scot Munroe

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 08:09:24 »

No it isn't at all. Why should light affect play? Floodlights exist nowadays so you can always turn them on. I seem to remember us batting out at dusk in Pakistan a few years ago with Hussain and Thorpe so we could win the game. Why couldn't they stay out their today and try and force a result?

they done it NZ a couple of years ago just after Nathan Astle made his 222. Also anyone remember the world cup final. they cannot play in all light there is a rule that if artifical light i.e. floodlights come in to contact with natural light when the weather is bad they can agree to come off for bad light. that is agreed at the beginning of every series played.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 12:25:11 »

Well floodlights are used in ODI's and i think they should be used in tests. It would be a lot more exciting as we'll see more results. We should play in all light. Even Dickie Bird agrees with me  Wink
Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 14:05:08 »

Yeah but he is a cunt as well . Cheesy  Cheesy

Sad to say, i must be on my way
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: