Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Aljofree set to sign ?  (Read 6048 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, June 21, 2007, 15:50:28 »

Quote from: "Crozzer"
Let's see, when Trollope was manager in the old Div. III, the club slashed the playing budget and we sank into the basement only for Ken Beamish to take the helm.  The then board said something in the Adver to the effect that even if they had a larger budget, the gates wouldn't improve.  The smaller budget meant relegation, smaller gates, financial ruin, and "Holiday Camp" graffiti at the CG.    

Years later, Andy King on a smaller budget than the rest of League I, bet the house on Cureton and Thorpe, and while for a time Iffy had them working their socks off, when contracts reared their ugly head the Town hit the iceberg, and sunk without a band playing.  According to Iffy, Brown was one of the better players, possibly true but so was the goalkeeper who couldn't kick.

Fifty thousand quid is only a few thousand on the gate, even after VAT.  If there are 4,000 faithful showing up to watch an Aaron Brown, then the finances are untenable, even in the event of the Sheik of Aribi funding the club.  To fill the ground, there has to be investment in quality, to provide excitement, ........cup runs, something to in the words of Macca, put bums on seats.  The only way Swindon will have a new ground is when the whole town jumps on the bandwagon of success, and that some politicians determine that in the interests of their slimy self-preservation that they strongly believe in it, and in their speeches always have done.  

Somebody should point out that a new ground with a class team will bring millions into the businesses in Swindon, rather than those in Reading, Southampton and London.  More taxes for the council, they would have to love that.

With Sturrock as manager, there is the opportunity to progress.  Cloughie re-signed his players, Shankley defined a Liverpool player.  There appears to be a Sturrock player, which doesn't include historically injury prone players like Monkhouse or Brown, or those that apparently don't follow instructions.

Finally, on this rant, the four clubs relegated to Div II last season, took the top four places.  That goes to show that there is a gulf between Div I and II, and if some "Steady Eddies" aren't signed, especially in defense, we will be up and down "quicker than a whore's drawers on Saturday night".

That, my friend, is a cracking post! Could not agree more. :goodpost:
kaufman

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, June 21, 2007, 16:51:05 »

sturrock will play him at centre back he says so that means nicholas may not be off after all but if he is that means vincent will be the left back again.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, June 21, 2007, 19:02:29 »

well i think Sturrock wants Nico to stay. but if not we'll get the funds from Nico's wages to move for someone else (Coughlan perhaps?) and then Aljofree will probably be at left back
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, June 21, 2007, 22:18:15 »

Looks like they've got the xxxxl shirt out again....  :x

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
millom red

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, June 21, 2007, 22:25:05 »

Quote from: "Sippo"
Looks like they've got the xxxxl shirt out again....  :x

Cheesy

f it dont need fixing....dont fuckin break it

Await The Day
adje

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 09:30:11 »

Thats three quality signings so far-another 4 and we could be in business.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 14:20:34 »

Quote from: "Rich"
well i think Sturrock wants Nico to stay. but if not we'll get the funds from Nico's wages to move for someone else (Coughlan perhaps?) and then Aljofree will probably be at left back
Judging by the OS report, he's more of a centre back. Which means we'll need to bring in atleast one more player for the defence should Nicho leave, and we still need a striker and another wide player imo
OneAndrewFitton

« Reply #37 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 14:37:32 »

I'd like us to sign coughlan, adams, akinfenwa, another striker and 2 wingers, we could have a good squad capable of pushing for the playoffs.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, June 22, 2007, 16:32:39 »

I have not seen anything offical about the fee, the press was reporting 50k but not even an 'undiscolsed' from stfc or PAFC  - does that mean the press was wrong and it was a free transfer ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: