Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Remember Robin Harris from the Adver site?  (Read 2673 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 09:17:07 »

Well, he's at it again

Quote from: "Robin Harris"
RECENTLY I wrote a comment about the plans for redevelopment of the County Ground site.

It produced a typical reaction from the fans but I stand by what I said.

Playing football is not financially viable. Even clubs in higher divisions don't make a profit from football matches. It is the extras that make a profit - sponsorship, TV, franchising and at the moment STFC have very few.

I have nothing against STFC or its fans and would not like to see it move but unless a football supporter with lots of money funds the development football will be deemed unprofitable. You have to have someone who looks at the overall package for profit not each part.

For example look at leisure centres in North Wilts and speedway at the new Abbey Stadium. These are fighting to survive because they are not profitable.

If the County Ground is redeveloped to allow for all the suggested facilities, ice rink, athletics, etc a business might say why have football there? It will only eat into the profits. Get rid of the football pitch and make it an arena.

So I say to the fans - look for a benefactor who loves football before you unreservedly back the proposals.

R HARRIS Swindon

What a complete and utter idiot.
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 09:39:47 »

What a complete and utter twat. Wheres my gun?  :x
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 09:52:32 »

Does he actually understand anything about football or business or even the football business? utter fanny!

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
Piemonte

« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 09:56:59 »

Hmmmmm. Unless footbal clubs make a profit we might as well close them all down. nice one.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 10:03:47 »

I've written to the Adver and completely belittled his whole argument. The man's so narrow-minded it's unbelievable.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 11:12:25 »

I'd suggest the best counter-response is that if he'd gone to the trouble of actually reading the proposals themselves, he might realise they are in effect self-financing and contain significant community benefits.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 11:36:19 »

Quote from: "pauld"
I'd suggest the best counter-response is that if he'd gone to the trouble of actually reading the proposals themselves, he might realise they are in effect self-financing and contain significant community benefits.

Which is exactly my point in my letter to the Adver. I just hope they print it.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #7 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 12:33:29 »

Profit is overemphasised, it's cashflow we should concentrate on. It doesn't matter if we made a yearly profit of £200k if we were losing £200k in cash a year.
Piemonte

« Reply #8 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 12:35:21 »

Quote from: "simon pieman"
Profit is overemphasised, it's cashflow we should concentrate on. It doesn't matter if we made a yearly profit of £200k if we were losing £200k in cash a year.

Correct. And the purpose of a football club isnt really to be profitable like a normal business. Or a PLC football club
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 15:45:27 »

yeah, he's right.....getting a new stadium will be pointless. No one gets a new stadium and pushes on do they.

Remember when Reading got their new stadium, which made the football club money. People thought they'd be in the Premiership in a few years time....how wrong were they? what ever happened to this Reading anyway?  :roll:
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 14:44:01 »

My mum just rang me to say my letter has been published.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/swindonletters/display.var.1090383.0.development_is_needed_for_football_club_survival.php
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 15:54:43 »

Quote from: "sam_stfc"
You go girl!

Just like to offer a reward to the first person to slap Mr Harris with a large salmon

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: