Poll
Question: Your evening meal is your..  (Voting closed: Saturday, October 28, 2006, 23:46:57)
Tea - 18 (40%)
Dinner - 27 (60%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your evening meal is your..  (Read 2870 times)
sonic youth

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 14:27:27 »

i call it both, it varies.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 15:06:37 »

Quote from: "DV85"
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Supper....

Supper? Supper? Oh, la-de-fucking-dah!  Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 15:55:09 »

Quote from: "Yeovil Red"
The UK
In the United Kingdom, dinner traditionally meant the main meal of the day. Because of differences in custom as to when this meal was taken, dinner might mean the evening meal (typically in the higher social classes) or the midday meal (typically in lower social classes, who may describe their evening meal as tea). There is sometimes snobbery and reverse snobbery about which meaning is used. Large formal evening meals are invariably described as dinners (hence, also, the term dinner jacket which is a form of evening dress). School dinners is a British phrase for school lunches

blue collar till I die!

I was brought up with my father pedalling home from first the Works and then Pressed Steel for dinner, which was about 12:10 pm.

Tea was then bread and  dripping etc at approx 5:00 pm.

I then  lived with a bird for some years who's daddy was something in the City, and lived in a big house in leafy Sevenoaks.    They always had dinner at tea time.....and luncheon at dinner time...a practice the daughter instinctively carried on and which I consequently picked up.   It was the other working class traits of nose picking, farting, belching,  excessive drinking and wasting of money that I could never shake off.

Not to mention the obsession with a no hope football club.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 16:04:22 »

tea every day apart from saturdays usually
Milmo

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 16:09:54 »

I've had the same conversation where I call it tea, but the people from hampshire people call it dinner.

Dinner is at dinner time which is middayish, tea is at tea time in the evening in my eyes.

One of my mates call the evening meal supper.  Thats just gay.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: