Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Duff set to make Newcastle switch  (Read 1440 times)
Scot Munroe

« on: Saturday, July 22, 2006, 12:32:56 »

Chelsea winger Damien Duff is on the verge of joining Newcastle United after agreeing personal terms.
The 27-year-old Republic of Ireland international is now undergoing a medical at St James' Park.

Tottenham were thought to be leading the chase for Duff, but their bid of £7m was turned down by Chelsea.

A club statement said: "Newcastle are pleased to announce that contracts have been exchanged with Chelsea for the transfer of Damien Duff."

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder refused to comment on the situation in his news conference before the Magpies match with Lillestrom in Norway.

But a statement from the board added: "The player, having agreed terms, is currently undergoing a medical."

Duff joined Chelsea from Blackburn for £17m in 2003 but the arrivals of Michael Ballack, Salomon Kalou and Jon Obi Mikel have put the Irishman's place in the side under threat.

Duff has one year remaining on his Chelsea contract and was rumoured to have completed a medical at Tottenham last weekend.

But he reported back for pre-season training on Monday at Chelsea's Cobham base.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho indicated later in the week that he was prepared to let him go after long negotiations with his midfielder.

He said: "I like Damien as a player and as a person.

"I listened to him for a couple of hours and I could understand what he has in his mind.

"After that it becomes business. He's such a good player we will do good business with another club."

The impending move to Newcastle will be Glenn Roeder's first of the summer.

And with Michael Owen on the sidelines through injury and Alan Shearer's retirement, Duff is likely to be a regular starter for the Magpies.

could that mean more playing time SWP.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 22, 2006, 12:44:29 »

It's a great signing for them, perhaps Roeder has designs on Luque being a centre forward this term - wouldn't be suprised if he came good tbh.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 22, 2006, 13:45:29 »

What a nobber its beyond me why anyone would move to that slum city Cheesy

/
W56196272
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 22, 2006, 14:07:43 »

Shame Spurs missed out on him, would've thought he'd rather be at a club that's guaranteed European football.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: