Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 13 years ago.........  (Read 6558 times)
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 17:27:56 »

Fabulous day. 1990 was excellent cause it was the first time I had ever seen Swindon at Wembley; but this topped it for excitment.

Mind you; when Leicester got back to 3-3 I thought that was it for us.
My Dad turned his back on the penalty as it was too much for him to watch!

And the two rows in front of us were full of people from the post office; including a bloke who kept running around hitting everyone over the head with an inflatable hammer.

Coming in down the A1 I walked up Wembley way with about 10,000 Leicester fans; got a few comments as I had my shirt on! They were all good humoured though.

Driving home back up the A1 with the scarves out the window etc; got not such a good reaction from the thousands of Leicester fans we passed. Almost made up for not being in Swindon and seeing the celebrations.
land_of_bo

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 18:00:32 »

That was one hell of a night when we got back to Old Town - carnage up by the Wheatsheath and the Steam Railway - the football special train the travel club put on wasn't too shabby either!
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 18:29:23 »

Quote from: "Bedford Red"
Almost made up for not being in Swindon and seeing the celebrations.

One thing I will always regret in my life is that I'm not from Swindon so didn't get to go to the celebrstions in Town.  We got home after the final and it were as if no-one had a clue what had happened that day.

We even got stopped by a copper outside of Brackley 'cause we had ticker tape etc. hanging out the car - he had no idea about the game.

That was sad. Crying
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 19:06:59 »

I couldn't go as I was at School! My mum wouldn't let me have the day/week off :evil:

My dad went.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
STFCDude

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 20:16:01 »

Quote from: "Edinburgh_STFC"
I couldn't go as I was at School! My mum wouldn't let me have the day/week off :evil:

My dad went.

It was on a Bank Holiday!!!!!!!!!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 21:11:51 »

Quote from: "STFCDude"
Quote from: "Edinburgh_STFC"

My dad went.

It was on a Bank Holiday!!!!!!!!!

I know!! That's Scotland for you! Oops

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 21:27:53 »

Definitely my best memory from the 90s. The atmosphere was incredible, I saw England play at Wembley a lot and the atmosphere was shite in comparison.

Injured my leg celebrating when the penalty went in but I didn't give a fuck.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 22:40:10 »

Quote from: "Kinky Tom"

One thing I will always regret in my life is that I'm not from Swindon so didn't get to go to the celebrstions in Town.  We got home after the final and it were as if no-one had a clue what had happened that day.

We even got stopped by a copper outside of Brackley 'cause we had ticker tape etc. hanging out the car - he had no idea about the game.

That was sad. Crying

It was a bit strange. Me and Dad went up my local pub when we got back to celebrate; me still wearing my shirt etc.

No-one else was bothered; and some didn't know Swindon had won etc. So yeh; like you I wish I'd been in Swindon that night but it was still one hell of a day.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #23 on: Saturday, June 3, 2006, 19:46:57 »

I was at the 1993 Play-Off Final... I remember the contrast of blue and red made the fans look awesome. It was an awesome game too!

I was so happy that day but I was far too young to fully appreciate it.
townender row n

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, July 7, 2006, 13:20:00 »

It was awesome that day in Swindon.

I remember a fan on a bridge above the motorway at Reading.

The closer we got to Swindon, the bridge's got fuller of fans with banners etc., took us ages to get off the motorway.

Then at the Sun Inn at coate water was jam packed with fans on the road, all wanting to shake everyones hands, took us ages to get through.

Then all along Queens drive people with flags all the way till the Magic rounabout, awsome sight, people everywhere in the road, in the trees on the rounabouts, we just made it in time on County Road to see the team bus coming through.

Feel sorry for you young uns, but your time will come.

My dad used to go about the 1969 final, and thought I would never see us at Wembley, but I did twice in 1990 and the Leicester game.

Who wants to see us at the Millennium stadium anyways  Wembley when built would be great
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, July 7, 2006, 13:28:38 »

I was young but remember all of it.  Whole family went to that, atmosphere was incredible.

Remember hanging scarfs out the windows on the way home and standing with my head out the sunroof!

Took so long to get home but was amazing. Didn't realise how high the attendance actually was.  Just goes to show how many Swindon fans can crawl out of the woodwork!
townender row n

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, July 7, 2006, 13:31:53 »

I crawl out of the woodwork on here but............................

I still been goin to the games Cheesy
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, July 7, 2006, 13:32:28 »

Quote from: "townender row n"
I crawl out of the woodwork on here but............................

I still been goin to the games Cheesy

Thats all that matters.....
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, July 7, 2006, 15:02:02 »

Quote from: "Kinky Tom"

That was sad. Crying

In 1993 I was living in North London (Muswell Hill).  It would have been very easy for me and Mrs Taylor (we're not actually married but as good as :shock: ) to have just driven round the North Circular to Wembley and straight back again. It's a round trip I imagine, of about 10 miles maximum.

Is that we did?

No chance.

We drove down the day before the game, had a few beers in Marlborough (stayed over with my mum) travelled back up to Wembley the next day just to be part of the army of Town fans going up there, drove all the way back to Swindon after the game which was totally amazing (we wouldn't have done that if we had lost!) then drove back to North London that same evening.

So rather than make one round trip of ten miles, we made two round trips totalling almost 350 miles.

Was it worth it???

Oh yes!

I think I've still got every national newspaper printed the day after the 1990 and 1993 play off finals.

Who says the play offs aren't fair?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, July 7, 2006, 15:03:32 »

Can't wait to see Swindon in a big game, the best for me so far has been the play-offs I suppose. We have such a huge half-fan base that when we get to the big games we pull in the huge crowds. Hopefully it won't be too long before we are celebrating again!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: