Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A couple of questions.  (Read 7592 times)
Sade

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, May 29, 2006, 18:22:28 »

We've gone from fixtures and fans forums to dildos and dv85  :?

RED ARMY
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, May 29, 2006, 18:43:25 »

Quote from: "Sussex Red"
That reminds me, I'll have to let you have that picture of DV back.

*swoon*

Yes please coz I am bored of sonic now. Ta

xx
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, May 29, 2006, 18:55:28 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Quote from: "Sade"
Thanks guys, thats lovely jubbly. Can't wait for the fixtures to come out  Cheesy

When I were a lad and liked nothing better than a bit of train spotting combined with watching training at the A ground,  a jubbly was a frozen block of orange squash, that took ages to eat/drink.

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/faded/jubblyoj.gif

Can you still get them?

There were steam locos as well as diesel electrics, not to mention the diesel hydraulics, ....two out of the three types built in the Swindon works.  This was all within the perfumed vista of the gas works.  Pity about the training ground, though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, May 29, 2006, 19:12:24 »

I'm sure the cocktail of the gas works, Cooper's blood and bone factory and Wills tobacco chimney, had a beneficial effect warding off asthma.

I was always a fan of the Highworth Branch....knew it was time for tea when the Bunkie ran up to Highworth.

A Bunkie was an 0-6-0 Pannier Tank like this one

http://www.southdevonrailway.org/5786-Buck2k2.jpg
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, May 29, 2006, 20:30:05 »

I forgot about Coopers, the fetid smell of burning flesh that used to waft over Shrivenham Road inducing nausea and disbelief.  I seemed to recall that some match days were tainted by the sickening wiff of the knackers yard.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, May 29, 2006, 20:57:52 »

Oh for the days of Borthwick's Abattoir and the Wiltshire Bacon Company.....real jobs for real men...not your nancy boy retail park tin sheds.

Still got a bit of affection for the sets of sidings that abutt (I still call it Pressed Steel), up til say 5 or so years ago, Rover would still move a lot of pressings by rail, using their own shunter to move the stuff arouind.

Used to be worth a look every so often, not sure what the state of play is now.

Coopers is now European Metals Recycling, think they've still got a shunter and move a lot of stuff by rail.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, May 29, 2006, 22:48:20 »

I just realised, if I recall correctly, the bridge over the rail lines continuing the footpath between Press Steel and Shrivenham Road was called the "Bunkie Bridge".  Never knew why though until now.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, May 29, 2006, 23:02:46 »

Quote from: "Crozzer"
I just realised, if I recall correctly, the bridge over the rail lines continuing the footpath between Press Steel and Shrivenham Road was called the "Bunkie Bridge".  Never knew why though until now.

That'd be right.

You might like this Ken White of the gas works , if you're not familiar with his work

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/Reg__Smeeton/kenwhite.jpg
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 00:19:55 »

Reg,

Thanks, I can recall the red glow from the coke ovens, and that penetrating smell of sulphur.  

Mike Summerbee on one wing, Don Rogers on the other, "the youngsters today wouldn't believe it".  I'm finding it hard to believe it at the moment.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 11:39:11 »

Enjoyed this nostalgic thread. Early sixties, during the time when  I was helping build the new  diesel hydraulics in the Works, I  remember playing for a local select team  against Swindon Town A on Shrivvy Road under their wonderful floodlights! Seem to remember Cecil Green watching and spotting talent . Think we drew 1-1....

ust be the oldest
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 11:56:54 »

Quote from: "normy"
Enjoyed this nostalgic thread. Early sixties, during the time when  I was helping build the new  diesel hydraulics in the Works, I  remember playing for a local select team  against Swindon Town A on Shrivvy Road under their wonderful floodlights! Seem to remember Cecil Green watching and spotting talent . Think we drew 1-1....

Would that have been Warship class or Western class?

I seem to remember the first Western class, was liveried in a sort of creamy colour....must have shown up the dirt.

Cecil Green.. true gent.
normy

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 12:25:46 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Quote from: "normy"

Would that have been Warship class or Western class?

I seem to remember the first Western class, was liveried in a sort of creamy colour....must have shown up the dirt.

Cecil Green.. true gent.

Western Class, Reg. It was a bit weird at that time, with half of AE Shop repairing the last of  old steamers like the Castles, Kings, Halls, and building the new Evening Star type, and half on Western Class  diesels with entirely different construction using clean pre-made red- coloured parts before the final paint job.

ust be the oldest
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 23:01:59 »

The Westeners were magnificent and used to make a real low rumble when cruising into stations.  Not steam, but lots of character.

http://trainsferriesbuses.co.uk/westerns.htm
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, June 1, 2006, 10:28:58 »

Quote from: "Crozzer"
The Westeners were magnificent and used to make a real low rumble when cruising into stations.  Not steam, but lots of character.

http://trainsferriesbuses.co.uk/westerns.htm

http://www.railart.co.uk/gallery/images/austin4.jpg

Between Dawlish and Teignmouth.....still one of the best places for a bit of train spotting.
Sade

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, June 1, 2006, 12:20:25 »

Teignmouth I love it there! Its next(well across the bridge) to my favourite devonshire town of Shaldon. Its beautiful in the summer there, we sometimes stay in the ness hotel on the hill by the cliff - its very nice  Cool

RED ARMY
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: