Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Micro Men  (Read 4607 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 09:51:00 »

Do you mean FlashForward on 5 juddie? recorded them but not got round to watching any yet. Sounds like it's not worth the hummy space?

Incidentally, can I just register my disgust at a football forum being used to discuss the merits of a celeb cooking programme? Fucking metrosexuals, bet you all have a moisturising and skin cleansing regime as well don't you?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 09:52:23 »

Do you mean 'Flash Forward' on Channel 5?  Have to say, I really enjoyed it.  You can pick holes in any sci-fi production if you want to, especially those involving time travel.  But some can be quite enjoyable if you're prepared to suspend your disbelief.  I'll be watching again next week.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 10:00:23 »

it sounds interesting, i need to find somewhere to download flash forwards.

i tried to explain it second hand to the mrs and she looked at me as if i was retarded Sad

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 10:02:23 »

Ardiles, you've just saved it from hummy oblivion. Although if it involves cooking and fancy sauces, it's going
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 10:06:58 »

Watched Micro Men late last night. Easily one of the best things I've seen on TV for a while, I loved my BBC Micro when I was a kid and seeing what went on behind the scenes was great. Not sure about the make up job they did for the bloke playing Clive Sinclair, looked a bit cheap and tacky.

I thought they could have bigged up Acorn a bit more. Might seem hard to believe but at their peak with the BBC Micro, Acorn were some distance ahead of Microsoft - their Basic language was better, their operating system was better, the disk operating system was better, their networking system was better and so on. The mistake Acorn made was keeping everything proprietary, if they had licensed everything out to other computer manufacturers things would most likely be a whole lot different than they are today. Having said that they did point out that most mobile phones now use a processor which started out life at Acorn, which is a pretty amazing legacy for a bunch of boffins from Cambridge.

My interesting fact of the day.... Brian Wilson (the long haired geek who was one of the computer designers at Acorn, you see his character a fair bit in Micro Men) has since had a sex change and is now Sophie Wilson.

juddie

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 10:07:42 »

that's it, flash forward, my apologies. Yeah, Joseph Feines' wife is hot in it.

I was picking it to shreds last night, but it's harmless entertainment for these dark nights.

jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 10:10:41 »

Not sure about Flash Forward yet. Its biggest problem is that its living in the shadow of Lost, as its kind of ABC's follow up which they're hoping will take over from it when it finishes next year. Flash Forward might just need a while to get going and build up the mystery and story line.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 10:22:12 »

I missed Micro Men, is it on iPlayer?
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 10:52:44 »

it is, i'm currently watching it

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 10:55:34 »

Sweeeeet. I recently found out that they've introduced an iPlayer tab on the PS3 dashboard, so I can watch it on the big telly instead of on my laptop Smiley
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 11:44:54 »

Ardiles, you've just saved it from hummy oblivion. Although if it involves cooking and fancy sauces, it's going

I will await your 'Oh my God, I can't believe you actually persuaded me to watch that ballacks' post over the weekend!
Barry Scott

« Reply #26 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 13:34:52 »

Watched Micro Men late last night. Easily one of the best things I've seen on TV for a while, I loved my BBC Micro when I was a kid and seeing what went on behind the scenes was great. Not sure about the make up job they did for the bloke playing Clive Sinclair, looked a bit cheap and tacky.

I thought they could have bigged up Acorn a bit more. Might seem hard to believe but at their peak with the BBC Micro, Acorn were some distance ahead of Microsoft - their Basic language was better, their operating system was better, the disk operating system was better, their networking system was better and so on. The mistake Acorn made was keeping everything proprietary, if they had licensed everything out to other computer manufacturers things would most likely be a whole lot different than they are today. Having said that they did point out that most mobile phones now use a processor which started out life at Acorn, which is a pretty amazing legacy for a bunch of boffins from Cambridge.

My interesting fact of the day.... Brian Wilson (the long haired geek who was one of the computer designers at Acorn, you see his character a fair bit in Micro Men) has since had a sex change and is now Sophie Wilson.

I know someone who still insists RISC OS is the best thing since sliced bread. He swears blind it's the most efficient operating system on the market and to be fair it could be, but he's hard to listen to.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 13:36:47 »

I know someone who still insists RISC OS is the best thing since sliced bread. He swears blind it's the most efficient operating system on the market and to be fair it could be, but he's hard to listen to.
Just kick him until he bleeds
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 13:38:11 »

Where they both made the fatal mistake, was going for each others markets. Speccy were games, BBC/Acorn were educational. And it was the software that made the spectrum, Of my all time top 20, at least 19 are speccy titles, I have never worked out why they havent rejigged/updated some of them.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, October 9, 2009, 14:15:14 »

I was a mid-1980s ZX Spectrum child geek.  (We were many.)  I bought a book from the school bookshop in 1983 or 1984 that taught you the rudiments of how to program in BASIC, and I used to write programs in my spare time...which was a little obsessive because I didn't actually own a computer at the time (just had sporadic use of a few ZX 81s in the school computer room).

A year or so later, I bought my first Spectrum with pocket money savings, second hand for £70.  It was then that I became a turbo-geek.  My favourite programming areas involved puzzles (continuing in the 1980s geek mode, one of my favourites involved a Rubiks cube simulator, complete with graphics) and creating fractal-like images with trigonometrical functions and the rudimentary 256 x 192 pixel display.  The rest of the time, I used to play car chase games with the volume turned down and Jean-Michel Jarre or the theme to Airwolf playing on my ghetto blaster.

Happy (pre-STFC) days.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: