Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Team set up  (Read 989 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 09:55:17 »

Our defence seems to get the most criticism, but is it purely down to defenders making mistakes or the rest of the squad not tracking back?
Dokes, Bycroft, Mccarthy, FBT all get plaudits for individual performances so they are obviously doing something right.
We seem to have a constant chopping and changing of the team which can't help consistency.
My opinion is central midfield is the weak point, plus the continual rotating isn't helping.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 09:57:45 »

I think your opinions are broadly correct. We've not found a great left back all season but Kokolo is the least worst we've managed. They just get no cover at all - and under Flynn at least the wing backs played so far forward as to not help the defence at all.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 10:37:40 »

Gav Gunning is like Doc Emmett Brown on "Back to the future"

"Where we're going we don't need midfield".

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 10:50:40 »

I used to be a big fan of Khan. His form since the new year has fallen off a cliff. So much so that Wrexham seemingly pulled out of a big money move. He's been sulking ever since.

His lack of desire to stop the cross for Swans goal was evident. I also caught him jogging back on many occasions when Mansfield turned over possession.

Your defence is only as good as your midfield. You defend as a unit and not just as 3 or 4. If you expose the likes of FBT 20 times in a game it's no wonder they concede 3.

Please, 2 experienced heads in the middle this summer. Don't need to be amazing technically, just tidy enough to get the ball to McGurk, Glatzel and whoever else we may have that can cause damage.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 11:04:15 »

Gavin  Gung-ho-ing
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 11:05:26 »

Great Scott 
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 11:21:39 »

Just remember Gillingham at home last season, where we basically played with one (Khan)  in midfield and were 3-1 down inside 15 mins. Gav made changes at halftime & brought Cain on to bolster the midfield.   I guess the Gav "No midfield" formation was already in the pipeline
Peter Venkman

« Reply #7 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 11:39:36 »

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 12:19:58 »

Think the current defence with McCarthy and as back 4 is adequate enough.
Sure, it’s not great but don’t think it’s the weakest point in our team.

It’s the midfield. The defence are over worked and it always feels like it’s our defenders trying to contain the opposition strikers & attacking midfielders.

For me we don’t have a single defensive minded midfielder in our squad. Our choices are either the positional ill disciplined Khan who takes too long on the ball. Or a small technical player like Cain, McEachran, Devoy or Aguiar.

….or at a push you could try Brewitt in there. Like genuinely what is the worst that could happen with that?

….if you take 2020 A. Grant and drop him in this side and we’re 8-10 places further up the league
Peter Venkman

« Reply #9 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 12:35:37 »

….or at a push you could try Brewitt in there. Like genuinely what is the worst that could happen with that?
I have thought that too but Brewitt played there coming off the bench vs Gills for the last 15 mins and looked totally lost there and off the pace just headless chicken running.

Admittedly that could be that we were just all over the place as a team and midfield bypassed anyway and he may have a better feel playing from the off there but he did really disappoint me hence this post from that game.

I am sorry but Brewitt is not the solution to our defensive midfield role.

JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 12:35:53 »

As I've said all season, we need a holding midfielder who can tackle.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 12:36:31 »

I have thought that too but Brewitt played there coming off the bench vs Gills for the last 15 mins and looked totally lost there and off the pace just headless chicken running.

Admittedly that could be that we were just all over the place as a team and midfield bypassed anyway and he may have a better feel playing from the off there but he did really disappoint me hence this post from that game.

Didn’t see that game - so missed that cameo
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 12:49:54 »

Got to give a player more than 15mins before writing him off in a potentially less than familiar role.

It's a moot point for what remains of this season anyway.

Assuming that Gunning gets the job then I think that we'll need 2 defensively minded midfielders who can sit & do the basics and give it to one of the 4 forwards.

Midfield & defence will need a serious revamp in the summer. There might be some hope to cling to if the January recruitment is replicated in those areas.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 11, 2024, 13:47:13 by Wobbly Bob » Logged

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 13:30:06 »

I see Gunning acknowledged this today

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/24176438.swindon-town-v-accrington-stanley-presser-happened/

Possibly, we don't have someone who sits there and breaks up and is aggressive, but you can't look for excuses, you have to find a solution.

And also...

There is minimal difference in the players from top to bottom, it is that little bit of quality and mindset to create the environment to thrive. Team spirit is a big part of it, the teams that have the big group of senior players can help whereas here we have one or two. The team does need some experience, Charlie has a load and then there is no one else with all those league appearances. It is an inexperienced squad, so I definitely think it needs that, there is no point getting loads of journeymen but you do need that.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, March 11, 2024, 14:41:53 »

He's becoming self aware.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: