Pages: 1 ... 644 645 646 [647] 648 649 650 ... 861   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1267025 times)
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #9690 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 11:14:24 »

Oh Charlie has missed several sitters by his standards, finishing like Shade does, but I think if he is played in the right role he can still add to this team.

As it stands I agree hes almost a waste of a wage, whatever that wage is, but sticking him in midfield as has been done this season will do no one any favours.

I don't think he has been moved to midfield though. He ends up there as he has no legs anymore. Kemp gets asked to do Austins closing down and running, so he pushes up alongside Young to press from the front and as a result Charlie drops in to fill Kemp's slot when we are without the ball. He is so slow then that even on transition he is in the wrong spot most of the time. Sure you could just leave him up top, but if you want to press the ball and win it high up, then you may as well play with 10 men sadly. Sadly his finishing has not been good enough to carry him as a striker that just stays in the box and offers little outside that. Its a shame, but it happens.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #9691 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 11:25:35 »

Wouldnt be surprised to see him rip up his contract in January and pack it in to be honest
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #9692 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 11:27:24 »

Does anyone think (given his defensive work at set pieces) that Austin could finish his career at centre back?
Those of us old enough to go back to the days of Andy Rowland will probably recall that towards the end of his time with Town he played at centre half for a fairly long spell. I think initially an injury crisis triggered the move, but it went on for a while.

I think a lack of pace may hinder that option of course.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #9693 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 11:43:26 »

I don't think he has been moved to midfield though. He ends up there as he has no legs anymore. Kemp gets asked to do Austins closing down and running, so he pushes up alongside Young to press from the front and as a result Charlie drops in to fill Kemp's slot when we are without the ball. He is so slow then that even on transition he is in the wrong spot most of the time. Sure you could just leave him up top, but if you want to press the ball and win it high up, then you may as well play with 10 men sadly. Sadly his finishing has not been good enough to carry him as a striker that just stays in the box and offers little outside that. Its a shame, but it happens.
Prior to the run of games with Young/Kemp up top, there had been very little option to manage Austin's minutes whilst also keeping an quasi attacking formation.
As you say it's a shame, but time ravages us all (look at Batch's knee as a good example of someone struck down in their prime)

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #9694 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 11:44:01 »

Does anyone think (given his defensive work at set pieces) that Austin could finish his career at centre back?
Those of us old enough to go back to the days of Andy Rowland will probably recall that towards the end of his time with Town he played at centre half for a fairly long spell. I think initially an injury crisis triggered the move, but it went on for a while.

I think a lack of pace may hinder that option of course.
In this squad? Yes, but more out of sheer panic than a burning desire to reskill

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #9695 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 12:06:28 »

Someone on Facebook has popped up saying the next owner will be Scandinavian. When asked if this something they've heard or just a prediction, no further details were provided.

Well it's something
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #9696 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 12:10:34 »

Someone on Facebook has popped up saying the next owner will be Scandinavian. When asked if this something they've heard or just a prediction, no further details were provided.

Well it's something

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #9697 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 12:10:55 »

Magical wish of the day: Stefan Persson lives in Ramsbury. Has $28bn. Loves football. Always hoped he'd get involved. I'd be happy with that.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #9698 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 12:17:15 »

Leon Clarke on 6k per week i thought?

For the whole 2 weeks he was here?!
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #9699 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 12:32:38 »

Magical wish of the day: Stefan Persson lives in Ramsbury. Has $28bn. Loves football. Always hoped he'd get involved. I'd be happy with that.

Oh a boy could dream!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #9700 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 12:46:26 »

Said for years they need a night club at the CG.
Some players down the years would have put the majority of their wages straight back into the club.
Not mentioning Heywood, Nicholas, O’’Hanlon & Pook by name…

Andy Nicholas loved Casbah too much for that. Top floor next to the fruity and womens toilets, like clockwork every Saturday night.

Bought me drink once though to be fair to him.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #9701 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 12:53:03 »

For that much, he can start knocking down Stratton bank in his spare time and put the vacuum cleaner around the place.

Comes form a family of builders I think. Get them in.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #9702 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 12:54:09 »

As much as I love CA,  its a massive shame he's dropped off after early contributions (as has everyone). I would hate to have his career ended by being sacrificial lamb if he was consuming that much of a wage.

I still think he has a contribution to make, just not as automatic starter.

Weirdly I saw a post on the FB group not so long ago asking if anyone else has heard boxing day will be his last game. I very much doubt it.

Even if he was on that much (realistically, he isn't) it isn't his fucking fault the clubs a mess.

People just direct their anger at all the wrong places.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #9703 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 12:54:57 »

Austin is an interesting one for me. I personally am going to go knee-jerk and say I think he's now very much past it. Everything he seems to do is ponderous and lethargic. With that said, he'll still got the ability to sniff out a chance, he was very unlucky with his header which was well saved on Saturday. But the rest of his game, to me, looks like it's being played in slow motion.

He's always ran like that though. He just had a habit of being right place, right time. Right now he's off the boil but he's trying to do too much.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9704 on: Monday, December 18, 2023, 12:56:33 »

Even if he was on that much (realistically, he isn't) it isn't his fucking fault the clubs a mess.

People just direct their anger at all the wrong places.

Agreed.
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 646 [647] 648 649 650 ... 861   Go Up
Print
Jump to: