Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 42   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Exeter pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 35522 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 19:37:06 »

That midfield comment relates to my view on how we play without possession.  Teams very rarely are forced out of possession via a few midfield battling tackles, or getting in their faces.  We rely on the other team making a mistake or defenders getting on top of their man once it reaches that level.  It's just far too polite as teams progress through us.  The defenders, as a group, look OK right now - but there is nothing in front of them.

Watch every game and see it every game.
We play possession based football from the back but have a static disjointed midfield.
Anthony Grant whilst may not be the answer but a player of that calibre and experience of two years ago is drastically missing.
It’s going to be a long drive and back to Tranmere.

It’s not one player either it’s collectively what we have at our disposal.

Yes this season all about debt consolidation but the club was purchased at a considerable cost cheaper than what was being prepared to pay for it.
Some slack though on where we have come from but it’s expensive backing it from a loyal Supporter perspective.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 19:38:14 »

The most worrying thing is, Garner makes the same mistakes over and over again and shows no sign of acknowledging them, let alone correcting them.

I don't think game management is even part of his ethos.

Weak as piss as a Manager and won’t be raising his voice that I can guarantee.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 20:04:37 »

Shite!

Everyone can see what is wrong.  Why can't the man who is paid to see it.

Midfield once again disappeared.  At 1-0 some went left, some went right, as they do every game, totally vacating the midfield.

We were in total control, then had to change it due to injuries.  But for 5-10 mins before their first goal it was wave after wave of attack but he didn't change it to shore up midfield.   Even after they scored he did nothing. 

Garner must be either too arrogant or too stupid to change it.

Players are decent but being held back by poor management.  He's clearly a good coach but is not a winner and very much in the Williams mould.
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 20:11:40 »

Was I dreaming or did I see that initially Clem Morfuni wanted Flynn from Newport to manager the team
Suggest that he would could haxe more passion moving forward
Thoughts
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 20:40:48 »

Spineless. Absolutely no bottle unfortunately.

Lacking leaders, big time. Nobody speaks on the pitch, do they? Whereas Exeter centre halves didn’t shut up whole game. I thought Conroy was a weasel of a leader, I don’t think today’s captain in Hunt said anything to anyone the entire game. Same old shit for the last 3/4 weeks. Very slow, very boring.

As for garner, serious questions need asking now and I don’t think calls to have him fucked off should be laughed at or dismissed how they was a week or so ago. Louis Reed, Williams, Payne start of season (I’d say statement Marquee names) and now O’Brien, Cooper and Tomlinson (who both have had championship mins this season)…. This embargo isn’t a valid excuse for me.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 20:47:15 »

Spineless. Absolutely no bottle unfortunately.

Lacking leaders, big time. Nobody speaks on the pitch, do they? Whereas Exeter centre halves didn’t shut up whole game. I thought Conroy was a weasel of a leader, I don’t think today’s captain in Hunt said anything to anyone the entire game. Same old shit for the last 3/4 weeks. Very slow, very boring.

As for garner, serious questions need asking now and I don’t think calls to have him fucked off should be laughed at or dismissed how they was a week or so ago. Louis Reed, Williams, Payne start of season (I’d say statement Marquee names) and now O’Brien, Cooper and Tomlinson (who both have had championship mins this season)…. This embargo isn’t a valid excuse for me.

I agree, when you break down the teams above us in the league they aren't any better than us just better organised, take less chances at the back, move the ball quicker, have a better directive on how to change things, mentally stronger and seem to stick together as a unit on the pitch.

Clem, hurry up and sell up🤡
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 20:58:56 »

Exeter made subs, changed their system and overran us in midfield. We carried on what we were doing and made no attempt to counter it at all.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 20:59:53 »

That comes from lack of directive from the bench.

MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 21:09:37 »

That comes from lack of directive from the bench.

It’s all very nicey nicey, arm round shoulder and let’s not shout at players…
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 21:11:50 »

It’s all very nicey nicey, arm round shoulder and let’s not shout at players…

Exactly but that dosen't get results.

Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 21:29:37 »

Exeter made subs, changed their system and overran us in midfield. We carried on what we were doing and made no attempt to counter it at all.

I think this is spot on, they made subs and changed based on the flow of the match.  Town does not seem to do this well.  Maybe if a few of the midfielders get healthy and off suspension there will be more freedom with managing the team but i fear the manager hasnt show willingness to adapt during a match.  if he does eventually, there are good players.  The backline with the transfers is much better than it was.  But you can't ask them to stop a relentless attack due to there not being a midfield presence to help at the end of a game.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 21:40:00 »

We were guilty of not playing the situation of 1-0 up against play off rivals below us with 10 mins to go and closing down the game.

In a similar situation in 19/20 Wellens threw on Broadbent as an extra centre half or brought on an extra midfielder. Garner was limited in midfield options but could he gave pushed Cooper into midfield and Iandolo or Baudry into defence?
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 21:49:06 »

Was I expecting us to set the league on fire this season? No. Did I even expect us to be as high as we are? No. Do I expect the team to have some adaptability when it comes to matches? Yes, I've seen Sunday league sides more adaptable.

I think at the core our problem is the squad is built off what we could get, and what has been added to (and taken away from!) it over the transfer window shows the precariousness of that situation.

Yeah Garner's pissing me off with the lack of a plan when it comes to games, you cannot set up the same way against a high press high energy side as you do against a low sitting, hoofball side. That's pretty basic fucking management but apparently something beyond what we've got right now.

I don't think it's asking for much for the team to be able to switch how they play dependent on the situation. I would imagine that's a pretty basic level of football ability. Three matches in a row we've been fucked over by a blatant inability to adapt. It's beyond a 'oh we haven't trained enough' or any nonsense Garner wants to pull out as an excuse. Own up to it and change your cocking setup when we're 1-0 up with 10m to go.

molepar

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: Saturday, February 5, 2022, 22:34:55 »

Any idea if the injuries we picked up today are serious?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 04:36:42 »

When you have Williams and Gladwin in the same team for 90 minutes when neither has been able to last 60 minutes in previous games it’s hardly surprising we got done in the last 15 minutes yesterday.

We’ve now got a very decent defence but a defensively weak midfield and a non threatening attack.

Garner gambled on our midfield being able to produce more chances/goals then they would give away by being porous.

That’s worked to some extent but as a long term strategy it’s massively flawed.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 42   Go Up
Print
Jump to: