Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jeff Stelling  (Read 3750 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 17:09:22 »

Annabel Croft?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 17:33:37 »

Wouldn't say no

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Rich Pullen

« Reply #32 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 21:24:49 »

This is new Team Countdown

[url width=468 height=363]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/11/21/article-1088245-028D1B8A000005DC-830_468x363.jpg[/url]

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1088245/Essex-girl-fresh-Oxford-Oxford-graduate--22-replaces-Carol-Vorderman-Countdown.html
flammableBen

« Reply #33 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 21:33:28 »

It's a bit of a waste of her masters in mathematics.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #34 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 21:39:04 »

It's a bit of a waste of her masters in mathematics.

Probably! Oxford Uni graduate = mega bucks job even if its they get 2:2 or a third. Way more than what I'd imagine C4 will be paying her.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 21:40:57 »

I don't know Ben, what's the going pay rate or job prospects for a Maths master ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Rich Pullen

« Reply #36 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 21:42:25 »

I don't know Ben, what's the going pay rate or job prospects for a Maths master ?

Far more than what I'll be looking at when I finish my masters in America's history that's for sure.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 21:47:43 »

I disagree.  Almost confined to a life in Academia or the secret service if you ask me, and with the current economic situation there won't be many plum jobs going in the City.

What do you expect to do with your masters degree ? (genuine question)

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
flammableBen

« Reply #38 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 21:54:23 »

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that £100,000 a year wouldn't be out the question with a Masters in Maths from Oxford (I only skimmed the article, that's what she's got isn't it?).

I remember reading something somewhere / hearing on radio 4, an interesting piece about how there's a generation of pensioners who think that the sums on the maths round in countdown were the pinnacle of mathematics. It was a bit exaggerated for amusement, but not ridiculously so.

A bright teenager could do carol's job on countdown just aswell. I dunno, there's just something about it which seems to reflect our minor celebrity tellybox obsessed culture in a strange way.

I disagree.  Almost confined to a life in Academia or the secret service if you ask me, and with the current economic situation there won't be many plum jobs going in the City.

Back when I was still in academia land, I remember always seeing the lists of most worthwhile degrees. I remember Maths always being right up there at the top, I think my quite a long way. I would have thought an Oxford Maths Masters would be worth a fair bit.

EDIT: I mean worthwhile as in average salary of those who have them.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #39 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 21:55:14 »

Debt. Actually, I've not got a loan for this one and paid for it through working at HMV.

I'll probably/hopefully work in research/academia. My undergrad was U.S. related and now I'm doing the continent at post grad.

Newcastle is a relatively decent uni for contacts. If all else fails I'll try to get a job using the "old boys" method work as it's a suprisingly posh uni.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 21, 2008, 21:57:03 by Rich Pullen » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: