Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 100 Greatest War Films  (Read 1196 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 16:36:57 »

Did anyone watch this at the weekend?

http://www.channel4.com/film/newsfeatures/microsites/W/greatest_warfilms/results/100-96.html

No surprise about the top 10 but it was fucking ace. They showed The Deer Hunter afterwards as well, I'd never seen it before and it was superb.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 16:48:45 »

Its hard to take seriously a list, that includes Rambo, but not Escape To Victory....when Ossie slo-mo flicking up of the ball, has to be one of modern cinemas finest moments.
Amir

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 16:51:12 »

Deer Hunter is too intense for me.  Gave me a headache.

I think I probably would have gone for Platoon.  Did The Downfall feature?  New film but very good, and a completely different angle.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 17:13:16 »

deer hunter is soopoyb, bit of a marathon but chris walken is god.

private ryan should never have been so high.

das boot (21 or something apparently) is shit because the americans try to take credit for code-cracking when it was us.

the pianist (32) should be higher.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 17:15:36 »

SPR is class, you have to admit that. In terms of reality it's supposed unrivalled, although none of us can really confirm that. It's one of only a few films to make me cry as well.

Deer Hunter is a bit like the Godfather for me, the first hour of both bored me stupid but I loved the rest and you understand why it's neccesary.

The Pianist is superb, and yes, it should have been higher. I think the fact it was directed by Roman Polanski doesn't help it's cause though.

Never seen Das Boot.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 18:17:00 »

What next - the 100 greatest "100 greatest  tv polls"?
DMR

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 18:18:06 »

I found the Deer Hunter to be bloody hard work and thus didn't really enjoy it
Sussex

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 19:40:18 »

I can't believe Hamburger Hill isn't in there.

"In 1969, fourteen new Army recruits, mostly poor whites and blacks, go through the rigors of basic training in preparation for service in Vietnam. Once overseas, they are sent on a suicide mission to capture the insignificant and well-protected Hamburger Hill".

Bastards, I loved it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: