Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Underrated Town Players  (Read 15146 times)

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 15:35:41 »

Think how good he could have been if he wasn't a piss head?
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 15:36:41 »

Did the thread say under rated by Swindon fans?.....generally under rated than Foley is a shoe in.....very under rated outside of Swindon i reckon.
Real class and really suprised a a bigger club didn't grab him while he was at the peak.

I thought it was generally accepted that he was a bit of a drinker. I seem to remember that there was an incident under Ossie that pretty much put the lid on his career at Town; when he turned up to get the coach for an away game still the worse for drink and Ardiles and Galvin turned him around and sent him home.

..never go back.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #62 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 15:45:03 »

I thought it was generally accepted that he was a bit of a drinker. I seem to remember that there was an incident under Ossie that pretty much put the lid on his career at Town; when he turned up to get the coach for an away game still the worse for drink and Ardiles and Galvin turned him around and sent him home.
He turned up for a home game under Ossie and was told he wasn't in the squad of 13 for the game and was obviously still pissed, I mean wobbly walking type of pissed and went to get into his car to drive home when myself and 2 other stewards stopped him and talked him out of it and called a taxi for him to get him home as he was in no fit state to drive.

Great player on his day but would have got much further if his alcoholism wasn't as bad as it was.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 15:46:09 »

Roy Carter....probably the last Danny Williams shrewd signing for 25K.  Played over 200 games, had a couple of seasons where he scored double figures from midfield, but could also play centre half if needs be. An integral part of decent sides of the Bob Smith era, if we could field a midfield equivalent of Carter, McHale, Kamara, this season we'd piss this league.

Sadly Roy missed a pen at the CG v Newport...which might have given us the extra 2 points to avoid the drop in 83, but hey-ho might have missed the Macari years, if we'd stayed up.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #64 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 15:49:06 »

I would agree with Roy Carter, a really nice Cornishman with it.  A really good tireless midfielder.

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 15:51:24 »

Think how good he could have been if he wasn't a piss head?

Some players need the drink to be as good as they are i reckon...Jimmy Greaves has admitted as much.

Ref Roy Carter.....a very cultured player i remember.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 15:58:55 »

I forgot Roy won poty for 78/79...no mean achievement in side containing so many well regarded players.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 16:08:33 »

Nicky Hammond.  Suffers from comparison with Fraser, and everyone seems to remember his horror shows as well, even after all these years.  But on his day, he was a very accomplished goalkeeper.  I'm fairly sure that he did keep Fraser out of the side for significant periods.
Always think of the 3-2 defeat at Leicester where he had a bit of a mare in the last 5 mins and we conceded 3 goals after being 2-0 up and a man down (Foley sent off).

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 16:20:46 »

Also seem to remember a real howler at Ipswich in a league match.

Has his good days though for sure.
Topcat

« Reply #69 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 16:26:17 »

Has to be David Moss for me fantastic winger
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 19:20:18 »

This thread seems to be more about players that could have been easily in peoples top 10 if things had worked out a bit differently/if they had applied themselves better - in Foley's case - if he hasn't been a drinker. His goal away at Blackburn is one of my top town goals
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Monday, March 18, 2013, 07:21:58 »

Also seem to remember a real howler at Ipswich in a league match.

Has his good days though for sure.

Think you mean Peterborough lee
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Monday, March 18, 2013, 10:08:22 »

Jon Gittens - There was much Calderwood love, but Gittens's pace enabled the defence to recover from mistakes. Also, his constant girly screaming kept the defence organised.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Monday, March 18, 2013, 10:16:56 »

Jonnys gonna get ya. Another one I don't think was underated
Peter Venkman

« Reply #74 on: Monday, March 18, 2013, 10:21:35 »

Jon Gittens - There was much Calderwood love, but Gittens's pace enabled the defence to recover from mistakes. Also, his constant girly screaming kept the defence organised.
Definately this.

I remember in an away game at Reading in 87 when he got knocked out cold in the first 15 mins and was walking around like he had been shot and totally dazed yet completed the game and played really well and we won 1-0 and afterwards he said he could remember nothing at all about the game.

Brilliant.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: