Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England in Sri Lanka  (Read 14660 times)
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 10:18:42 »

No real mystery in those spinners.  Bog standard left arm orthodox!

We seem to have a knack of making ordinary spinners look absolutely world class...Ajmal I would say is, but the other Pakistani lad (Hafeez?) who bowled part time had us in all sorts of bother and with no disrespect to the 2 sri lankans they have nothing on Murali (imagine if he was still around in this test match :S ) but managed to pick up 16 wickets in the match!

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 10:32:04 »

We seem to have a knack of making ordinary spinners look absolutely world class...Ajmal I would say is, but the other Pakistani lad (Hafeez?) who bowled part time had us in all sorts of bother and with no disrespect to the 2 sri lankans they have nothing on Murali (imagine if he was still around in this test match :S ) but managed to pick up 16 wickets in the match!

Because they were utterly clueless against Ajmal, they tried to make hay against Hafeez and Rehman and got tore apart!

Also you cant get away from the impact the DRS has had.  A lot of these LBW's wouldnt have been given a few years back and batsmen could play these shots firmly in the knowledge it was highly unlikely with a reasonable stride the umpires were going to give them out.

The DRS has shown the umpires in fact these should be given out and hence has totally changed there mindset.  The failure of these England players to adapt is criminal! 
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 10:51:27 »

The DRS has shown the umpires in fact these should be given out and hence has totally changed there mindset.  The failure of these England players to adapt is criminal! 
True,but no more criminal than the Indian team refusing to accept DRS in their Test Matches, in my opinion.

Also, Swann is benefitting hugely from this, so perhaps it's a failure of all batsmen ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 11:12:48 »

True,but no more criminal than the Indian team refusing to accept DRS in their Test Matches, in my opinion.

Also, Swann is benefitting hugely from this, so perhaps it's a failure of all batsmen ?

Fair point on Swann.  I dont think he had all that great a tour of UAE though did he?  And only 1 of his 6 wickets in the second innings came via LBW.  I think in the sub continent, asian batsmen tend not to premeditate the sweep and only really sweep if the ball is really full.  By premeditating the sweep England got themselves into all sort of strife with the ball rarely being full enough.

In the summer Swann will have a field day against the west indies with all their lefties!

If I was the BCCI, I would be jumping over hoops to get the full DRS in for when England visit.

I did notice that in this series that has hawkeye, but not hotspot.  The ICC need to step in where it is to expensive for boards to have full system and help out financially.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 07:23:01 »

Similar start to the last test .... England take 3 quickly .... Then jayawardene leads the fight back ....

He really is some player!
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 11:13:03 »

Here we go again...score of 300+ looks likely, lost the toss....have I given up the ghost already, winter whitewash on the cards!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 11:14:10 »

Jayawardene gone. At last.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 11:17:50 »

First English batsmen tomorrow who is given out sweeping a ball pitching on the stumps should get a serious beating!  My moneys on Ian Bell.
DMR

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 13:21:52 »

First English batsmen tomorrow who is given out sweeping a ball pitching on the stumps should get a serious beating!  My moneys on Ian Bell.

I concur - reckon it'll Straussy though.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 14:49:27 »

Jayawardene says he's surprised at Panesar being dropped on a pitch that will break up by day 3!

Ultimately he has been done for by the failure of the top 5!  Instead of sorting out the batting by giving one the batters a kick up the arse, they have gone for the defensive option of letting the top 5 get away with murder and sacrificing a spinner.  Then hoping that the additional few runs of Bresnan and Patel will let them get away with it.

They might well get away with it, but long term Patel has about as much of test match future as I have!

FWIW, I still think England will win.  I must be crazy!  Though they have to get a first innings lead.  Even a lead of 50-75 if it does break up will be massive!
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 10:13:59 »

so far so good today....

#VivaKenBarlow!
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 10:30:10 »

Going fine at the moment,but i fear a classic england batting collapse is just around the corner.

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 10:39:10 »

So this is what happens when you dont sweep and play with the bat then ......
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 10:41:26 »

Jesus.Knew i spoke too soon.Although i always had a feeling we'd see Jimmy out batting before stumps.

So many england fans,the support is superb,got to love it.

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 12:47:04 »

Im not his biggest fan but if there was ever a time for KP this is it.
A solid start against tiring bowlers it's setup for a big innings from him.

And to be fair this is usually the situation that he does well, just not so good at grinding out an innings.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: