Poll
Question: If there was a fan ownership bid to buy a controlling stake in STFC, with a proper prospectus and backed by the Football Supporters' Association, how much would you be prepared to pay for a share?
£100 - 15 (19.7%)
£250 - 17 (22.4%)
£500 - 22 (28.9%)
£1000 or more - 15 (19.7%)
I wouldn't buy a community share - 7 (9.2%)
Total Voters: 75

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fan ownership  (Read 6230 times)
doversparkred

Ignore
« on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 16:53:15 »

Keen to hear everyone's thoughts on fan ownership; principally if you think it would work, and how much you'd be prepared to pay for a one-member, one-vote share in STFC.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 16:56:18 »

One off or per year?
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 16:59:50 »

I've gone for £500 (thought higher might be possible in the right circumstances).

We've out a fair amount (for us) of dosh into the club over the years, what with buying into the share thing many years ago, plus season ticket purchases so, I don't see any reason to stop now.
doversparkred

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 17:02:32 »

One off or per year?

one-off.  Idea would be to raise enough funds to buy 51% minimum of the club through a community share offer, with enough working capital to cashflow the first 6-12 months of running the club.
doversparkred

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 17:04:45 »

I've gone for £500 (thought higher might be possible in the right circumstances).

We've out a fair amount (for us) of dosh into the club over the years, what with buying into the share thing many years ago, plus season ticket purchases so, I don't see any reason to stop now.

I worked on the community ownership campaign for Bath City FC a few years ago, and the share offer was £250 - but this was a minimum amount and plenty of people (including football fans from around the world) paid more than this.

This video from Ken Loach's mate helped -
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 17:05:00 »

one-off.  Idea would be to raise enough funds to buy 51% minimum of the club through a community share offer, with enough working capital to cashflow the first 6-12 months of running the club.
So, what would be the target amount to even to make it feasible ?.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
doversparkred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 17:06:28 »

So, what would be the target amount to even to make it feasible ?.

That's a key question - who knows?  But 10k shares at £500 is £5 million... which might be enough to buy the club, but would need working capital to fund it for at least 12 months I imagine.  Just keen to gauge how much Swindon fans would be prepared to pay up front for a share.
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 17:07:41 »

I always thought the Trust would eventually push for something like this. They still might, but I suppose whilst they're still all chummy-chummy with Clem they'd be no chance.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 17:09:13 »

It's really tough. I love the concept of fan ownership, but the amounts involved feel too high now with the economy as it. End of Black/Wray was the moment in hindsight and we weren't ready.
doversparkred

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 17:09:52 »

I always thought the Trust would eventually push for something like this. They still might, but I suppose whilst they're still all chummy-chummy with Clem they'd be no chance.

The Bath City community takeover was structured so you bought shares in the supporters society, who then took majority control of the club, and elect a board of directors with every director in post for three years when they can then stand for re-election if they wish.
doversparkred

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 17:11:55 »

It's really tough. I love the concept of fan ownership, but the amounts involved feel too high now with the economy as it. End of Black/Wray was the moment in hindsight and we weren't ready.

I agree, but what are the alternatives?!
doversparkred

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 17:16:05 »

This was the fundraising page for Bath City FC.  I realise, of course, there is a BIG difference between raising £300k and £5million+.  I guess that comes down to having a really strong and compelling proposition for fans, and there being enough of them to support it.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/bigbathcitybid
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 17:16:39 »

If I recall correctly, the Trust were looking into doing something like this. I recall (but can't find the interview) they had a discussion with the foundation of hearts (supporters group of Scottish club Hearts) who had done something similar to what I think you are proposing back in 2014. They now have the majority shareholding in the club.

https://www.foundationofhearts.org/we-are/

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 17:26:47 »

You need an individual to stump up 50% with fans/Trust having 50% + the golden share.

Haven’t heard from Bathford since the balloon went up.
doversparkred

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 17:39:11 »

You need an individual to stump up 50% with fans/Trust having 50% + the golden share.

Haven’t heard from Bathford since the balloon went up.

That depends on the specifics of the share offer - could be matched funds, loans or just a financial target that is hit by whatever means.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: