Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Stockport County matchday thread  (Read 22169 times)
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 13:55:51 »

Someone remind me. We were linked to various CBs in pre season - Demetriou, Farquarson, that bloke who decided to go back to FGR, the fella who went to India, probably 1 or 2 more.

Would any of them be expected to play as UGM and FBT are now playing? UGM wasn’t a CB at FGR. FBT wasn’t a CB until forced into it here by necessity.

So was Flynn trying to recruit for a different system than we are now actually playing?

UGM played 26 times in league 2 for FGR when they won the league. Almost all as a CB in a back 3.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #391 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 14:04:26 »

UGM played 26 times in league 2 for FGR when they won the league. Almost all as a CB in a back 3.
Before he signed for us I was reading the FGR forum and they said he was predominantly a RB/RWB and filled in at CB due to necessity, playing 3/4 of his 100 odd games at RB/RWB.

No idea what his own preferred position is though.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 14:07:32 »

But was Flynn recruiting for ball playing CBs or was he forced to play that way due to what players he ended up with when the window shut.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 14:13:33 »

I think he’s fine for a RCB in a 3 with 2 other strong defenders but having him, FBT (a left back playing CB) and Brewitt (who has improved but still has question marks) is probably going too far.

If we went to a back 4 then I think him RB and Hutton in front would be acceptable.

Now if you want to look into rumours a bit more and the Nathan Thompson and Farquharson rumours, that’s a completely different ball game. You’d have Farquharson RCB, N.Thompson in the middle and FBT probably LCB, a completely different style back 3

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 14:16:18 »

Was Tomlinson ever on the radar? Anyway, it’s not the personnel I’m on about. It’s whether Flynn would have still set his team up the way we’re playing now if some of those rumours had come off.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 14:17:56 »

He's always played a three but I don't remember him having two attacking CBs at Walsall or Newport.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 14:19:44 »

Tbf, who does?
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 14:26:55 »

I understand the point you're making.

And no, I don't think it would've changed how we played.

You can argue Edwards would be starting ahead of Brewitt. Then you could make a case for Moore-Taylor over FBT and Farquarson / Thompson over UGM.

But we were never going to sign 3. Also, the midfield remained the same so it would just be different players being exposed instead.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 14:44:05 »

I don’t think it would have changed our style or formation but different centre backs with different attributes might have changed exactly how the back 3 played.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 14:56:22 »

Yes but when you look at the profile of the players we tried to bring in...

Moore-Taylor is a left sided ball playing centre back. Much like Clayton and FBT. I don't see how he'd of really changed us.

Edwards I'm guessing would've been the no-nonsense Brewitt role. Perhaps his leadership would've organised us better.

You can make an argument  to make the right sided CB more defensive, and taller etc. I don't see it as a necessity though.

Good teams defend from the front. If you press high and work hard, you keep the ball away from our defence.

We have Charlie Austin who although I'd never accuse him of not working hard, much of his energy is wasted filling in ridiculous positions. He can't lead a press. We need an upgrade. A big, mobile target man would make the world of difference to this team. Somebody who's willing to run as much as Kemp and Young. Even if he only scores 7 or 8 a season. We NEED that type.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 15:11:35 »

Yeah I'm still convinced Austin can be a big player for us and isn't shot if we can just manage to get him to concentrate on goal scoring.

Going with 1 out and out striker will help us manage his minutes better too, until Young goes back in Jan at least.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 15:19:40 »

Micky Demetriou has impressed for Crewe this season, I think he was a bit of a miss (assuming we tried to sign him)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 17:04:21 »

So, lets say that Clem robs that magic money tree at the back of the DR stand and has some spare cash

We need an overhaul of the squad, there are probably about 5 or 6 players that can be relied on to start week after week, and that includes the 3 loans, so that is a massive overhaul needed.

Usually when signing players and letting others leave that is a gradual job throughout January, we have not got that luxury, and assuming 2 of the 3 loan players will be recalled, we could be in some serious trouble come the end of January if recruitment goes the same as the summer with players going elsewhere and wages staying high.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 17:13:56 »

* IMG_0248.jpeg (76.35 KB, 980x675 - viewed 170 times.)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: Sunday, November 12, 2023, 17:24:26 »

What does that chart say? That Mahoney is more likely to get a goal than Charlie currently?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: