Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 40   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Oldham Athletic pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 39077 times)
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 07:34:49 »

Didn't know it was now a crime to vigorously celebrate last minute winners.
Perhaps their fans might actually get to celebrate winning the (National) league next year

I come from a land down-under
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 07:51:07 »

I’ve got a sense of dread today that I don’t normally have…. Prove me wrong Town.

Glad I was this wrong. The contrast to yesterday and the bore fest served up v Stevenage after Christmas is quite something. Not a perfect performance, but a decent one, with a great crowd and an actual atmosphere.

Positives for me: Egbo (a wildcard signing, who could have a real impact), JML (best he’s been, and I loved how he got fired up by the Oldham support and ran at their right back), and Odimayo (strong, and did well out of position). Reed still a cut above. Payne a livewire as ever. Pleased for Dion Conroy. Please for Garner, who has proved many (including me) wrong by adapting our style.

If Conroy can hit form, Cooper may not be such a loss. Cooper was more consistent and more mobile, but Conroy plays with authority and is a leader, and deserves some credit when it’s due. Egbo could offset the loss of Tomlinson, and could allow Hunt to go to left back (not to detract from Odimayo’s performance). JML is raw, but on yesterday’s evidence, can fit in playing wide in a 3, and run at defenders.

As for Sheridan, if rumours of alcoholism are true, he doesn’t do much to dispel the rumour. To his credit, he had them organised for a point and nearly got it. Far more organised than he ever managed with us. I suspect he’ll keep them up. 24 was a menace, and Piergianni organised them at the back. There were cynical late tackles, but they didn’t deserve some of the yellows. But he doesn’t act like a man that’s very well. And if he is well, he’s just not a very nice person. Oldham are a good club. Give me Garner any day of the week though.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 08:11:41 by Frigby Daser » Logged
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 08:07:15 »

Payne is being eased back in, and we have a game Tuesday.

I hope ice pack is just part of his normal post injury treatment thought

JOB had one of those protective boots on his foot / ankle after the game.
Wasn’t concerned and reckons will be back to training today.

Thought Egbo looked to have pace and power.
Great debut in such a very short space of time.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 08:25:23 »

Egbo has definite 'cult hero' vibes about him. Short term signing to try and help get us over the line, slotted in well and made an impact straight away it seems.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 08:28:19 »

Feel exactly the same bogus. A little worried that garner thought JML did well. Reed head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch both going forward and defensively. We got lucky with the win yesterday. Tempo was far too slow until Williams came on. Fair play to Conroy for getting the winner but he’s a big contributing factor in the tempo we play at. Without the winner, he wouldn’t have had many MOM votes that’s for sure!

I love how we all see games so differently.
The tempo is often lacking with little movement and creativity in midfield.
Often we are static and the two best passers of the ball we have are Reed and Conroy. Both yesterday were immense and Conroy faultless throughout and as Oldham went deeper he had a licence to move up the field, Garner played that just right.
Davison and Ricky A were struggling, JML was dead on his feet and Williams will always give you the energy and that went missing when Payne went off.
Garner shuffled the pack, Egbo pushed forward and we created more on the right than we have for a fair few games which bodes well. Since KKH has left we have a huge void here.

Bare bones and McKirdy to come back.
6 points from 9 with 3 tough games. Said last week that Bradford will take points from the top sides, yesterday a great win for them.
Any team can beat another in this league, all about us and Tuesday now.
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 09:25:05 »

Oh dear…. Sherydactyl Cuntasaurus just proving what a dick he is !
Love any last minute winners but that was huge momentum wise 👍
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 09:40:02 »

10 games to go and it's 9 teams going for 2 auto places.
Exeter & Mansfield are maybe the favourites based on form and games in hand, but there will be slip ups from everyone.
More about grinding out the results now.

Late winning goals are a very good habit to have going into the pointy end of a season.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 09:57:45 »

Feel exactly the same bogus. A little worried that garner thought JML did well. Reed head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch both going forward and defensively. We got lucky with the win yesterday. Tempo was far too slow until Williams came on. Fair play to Conroy for getting the winner but he’s a big contributing factor in the tempo we play at. Without the winner, he wouldn’t have had many MOM votes that’s for sure!

I’ve watched minimal amounts of STFC this season and I’m basing mostly off of the Salford game the other week.

Reed whilst being a technically good football contributes to our slow pace because he is always free for the safe pass backwards or sideways.

It’s a great option to have but against Salford I felt too many of our players rather than look forward to attempt a forward pass which may have been a gamble they’d just play it safe to Reed.

Salford left Reed completely free to do - whether that poor play because none of their players could keep up with his movement or astute tactics so we played it safe more and didn’t trouble them.

Don’t get me a wrong a simple easy pass is an option that should always be there but it shouldn’t always be the players go to pass.

Like I said that observation is based mostly on one game.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 10:57:49 »

I liked the look of Egbo. Looks a cool customer and got immediately involved, no feeling his way in and no fucking around. Seems to have a bit of presence about him.

Without McKirdy we have very little penetration, although Payne tried his level best to up the tempo in the first half he couldn’t do it by himself. Then the second half I felt the others around him showed a bit more urgency and the overall tempo improved, although we still didn’t look much more likely to score. Thought Williams should have dove better with his chance towards the end.

Personally I thought Oldham were terrible. I barely remember them having the ball on our half, never mind the box. Very Sheridan.

Missus very happy to have seen a goal at the town end. Had to remind her that she’s a dirty northern bastard too when she was giving their fans pelters at full time.

Saw a bunch of stewards leg it out of the ground at the very end. Anyone know what happened?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #519 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 11:25:05 »

Sheridan is a fucking disgrace and he needs reporting to the EFL for that, hope they ban the fuckwitted Northern pleb.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #520 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 11:52:27 »

As usual a few bits from the Oldham forum, sorry if this is double posted from Jimmys post.

Yet again the ref was out of his depth

Shite from Sheridan, to only use two subs (and the worst two subs to boot) in that game situation is criminal.

Bahamboula needs dropping. For all his flicks and skills, he did nothin with it. And off the ball he jus walked around whilst everyone else busted a gut.

Just got back and we were unlucky, for all Swindon possession and attacking play they didn’t really look like they’d score until the Ref helped them out by not giving us a blatant shirt pull on Bam and they went  straight down the other end and got a set piece and our hastily reorganised defence got caught out having battled for 100 mins

Swindon spent most of the game falling over and getting our players booked. The ref was shite and their fans pathetically quiet until they got their lucky break and then celebrated like they had won the league

Ref was so weak and Swindon took full advantage of it. Every challenge became a free-kick and bookings. He certainly was a "homer".

Whereas I agree that were unlucky in the way the goal came about, and reckon that the first half was honours even, I felt that Swindon approached the second forty five far more positively than we did.

Were it not for Rogers who made two or three crucial saves and the defenders in front of him making a number of last ditch blocks and tackles, Swindon would have won the game comfortably.

Swindon, like many of the sides in the division, looked nothing special. Yet they outplayed us for most of the second period.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 12:02:20 »

Sheridan is a fucking disgrace and he needs reporting to the EFL for that, hope they ban the fuckwitted Northern pleb.

Personally I’m just happy we got under his scaly skin. Don’t think he needs reporting to the EFL, I’d just take it as a moral victory. Chuffed to bits he felt the need to flip the bird
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 12:04:19 »

Which is why there’s a rumour swirling round the Twittersphere that it was in response to a comment from the crowd concerning his dead parents. Getting his excuses in early - just in case.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 12:07:59 »

As usual a few bits from the Oldham forum, sorry if this is double posted from Jimmys post.

The very last one made me chuckle somewhat. ‘Not that special’ yet we outplayed them which IMHO backs up my thoughts that had we been 100% full strength we’d have battered them.
skiptotheLouMacari

« Reply #524 on: Sunday, March 13, 2022, 12:11:01 »

On the 'Fire Drill' chant soapy tit wank. Although... why DO people leave before the end; in a 0-0 where we are pushing for a goal? Always baffled me. If you're that fucking desperate to get home, just stay there at 3pm.

We normally do stay to applause the boys off but we live over an hour away and my daughter needed to be home. With the additional 5 minutes at the end of both halves and the continuous need for treatment, we wouldn't have been back much before 7 by the time we got out and walked to the car and negotiated traffic. Some people like to beat the traffic week in week out for a number of reasons, no need to encourage people not to attend for that surely?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 40   Go Up
Print
Jump to: