Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 61   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Olympics thread  (Read 190432 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #495 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 09:19:55 »

People are just enjoying the excitement and the success. What's wrong with that?

What would you rather people do?
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 09:24:24 »

It would be nice if these Olympics were a watershed moment for sport. It won't be, as like it's been stated above get to mid September and the media will be hyping up the football as they always do. It's a shame people are so easily led by the media, they have so much control over the nation. 

I hope the popularity in 'minority' sports such as cycling continue and lead to a diversification of media coverage that has been monopolised by football in the last few years.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 09:27:14 »

People are just enjoying the excitement and the success. What's wrong with that?

What would you rather people do?

I'm not criticising people who are enjoying the excitement and success and I don't think I've said anything to indicate that. I'm saying that people should just try to enjoy all of this without having moan and make comparisons with sports (football) that have nothing to do with what they're watching elsewhere.

These guys deserve all the praise they're currently getting and the British population have every reason to enjoy events like what happened last night.
Flashheart

« Reply #498 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 09:29:45 »

I've not read a newspaper in years jan, yet I'm still thoroughly enjoying it all.

I did notice how the long jumper got so little glory and that is no doubt media influenced but still, the media played no part in my enjoying the events. I only put it on initially because I had nothing else to do.
Huwwy

"The world is my lobster"

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 09:43:05 »

I'm not referring to the Team GB football team. I don't care about them in any way, shape or form. I'm referring to the general comments that people are making about how super-duper all the athletes are and how our "overpaid" footballers are everything what's wrong with the world.

But that's the point. Perhaps the public are a bit tired of reading about the Terrys, Ferdinands, Bartons etc of this world who get paid more in a week than most earn in a year yet still have no notion of being a role model and behave like total arseholes. When people see how much training, personal sacrifice, discipline etc goes in to winning a gold medal I think it's hardly surprising that over paid, pampered footballers don't compare favourably in the court of public opinion right now. Of course, not all footballers earn the cash or misbehave but football authorities and certain top players do need to think more about their responsibilities to football as a sport.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 09:52:13 by Huwwy » Logged
DRS

« Reply #500 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 10:18:33 »

But that's the point. Perhaps the public are a bit tired of reading about the Terrys, Ferdinands, Bartons etc of this world who get paid more in a week than most earn in a year yet still have no notion of being a role model and behave like total arseholes. When people see how much training, personal sacrifice, discipline etc goes in to winning a gold medal I think it's hardly surprising that over paid, pampered footballers don't compare favourably in the court of public opinion right now. Of course, not all footballers earn the cash or misbehave but football authorities and certain top players do need to think more about their responsibilities to football as a sport.
But why compare them at all? I tell you what pay these athletes what footballers get and then see them change,it is life it happens.

Of course athletes are different to footballers,i would hazard a guess that it also helps that every crowd member is behind them,if they had to put up with fans singing your wife takes it up the ass or your mums a slag or black players having you know what you are sang at them i would think they probably would not be so fan friendly either.

We had a prime example last night actually,Sturridge missed a penalty and received dog abuse for being a arrogant money grabbing cunt etc The lad battled viral meningitis for fucksake to take part in these games and represent gb he was gutted at the end but as per usuall the tribal footbal fan couldn't give a shit about the facts and decided to go on the attack.

Until athletes have to take that kind of shit they will happy clappy people i suppose.

This is not a dig at them as what they have done is amazing but the whole comparison thing really get's on my tits.
Flashheart

« Reply #501 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 10:39:24 »

Another gold then
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 11:28:50 »

Another gold then
in?
Flashheart

« Reply #503 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 11:34:29 »

in?

Some rowing event. Two women.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 11:34:55 »

Are you sure about this?

Things get better but they never get good
Flashheart

« Reply #505 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 11:40:43 »

I watched it

Or was it a re-run
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 11:41:24 »

Some rowing event. Two women.
think you were watching a repeat. pretty sure rowing finished yesterday
Flashheart

« Reply #507 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 11:42:50 »

Oh
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 11:58:26 »

Sounds like a cracking way to boost the medal count to me.  Keep watching Flash!
kerry red

« Reply #509 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 12:34:01 »

Another Silver in the sailing - but by God how boring a sport to watch is that!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 61   Go Up
Print
Jump to: