Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 61   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Olympics thread  (Read 190388 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: Saturday, August 4, 2012, 22:47:45 »

Couldnt care lass about the gb team in football, but enjoyed the mexico win today, first time in many hundreds of games I've been a neutral, the game went so quick and I never got stressed once. Bizzarely, at 90 mins around 10-20 per cent of the crowd went home, really weird.
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #481 on: Saturday, August 4, 2012, 22:52:48 »

Couldnt care lass about the gb team in football, but enjoyed the mexico win today, first time in many hundreds of games I've been a neutral, the game went so quick and I never got stressed once. Bizzarely, at 90 mins around 10-20 per cent of the crowd went home, really weird.

That is really weird

pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: Saturday, August 4, 2012, 22:53:57 »

No one has tickets for the Semi final at Old Trafford spare do they?

Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #483 on: Saturday, August 4, 2012, 23:27:30 »

What a day.  Fuck the football when you get moments like we did today.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #484 on: Saturday, August 4, 2012, 23:30:50 »

No one has tickets for the Semi final at Old Trafford spare do they?

There's still £125 tickets left.  Wink
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: Saturday, August 4, 2012, 23:39:23 »

There's still £125 tickets left.  Wink

Yeah I saw that.. Hoping that people wanted to sell their tickets back after GB lost today!
125 pounds is a bit too much, seeing I'd have to make the trip to Manchester anyway  Sad

RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 07:47:13 »

And no-one's mentioned the tennis, and two more medals to come there, be they silver or gold.....
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 07:53:10 »

Is there any chance Ennis could be persuaded to run in the individual 100m hurdles?

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 07:56:43 »

Off down to Stratford today for the womens' basketball (all we could get). I think it will be just as good watching what's going on on the big screens outside the stadium.

thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 08:06:34 »

Is there any chance Ennis could be persuaded to run in the individual 100m hurdles?

Yes, she said that she would see how she felt today and then make a decision. How amazing would that be if she medaled in that as well??

With regards to the football, it shouldn't even be there. The Olympics should be the pinnacle event for every sport and, if it's not, serious questions need to be asked. Bit like Tennis...
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 08:20:55 »

Just said on SSN that she wouldn't be doing it.
Flashheart

« Reply #491 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 08:41:09 »

Football takes a verbal battering everytime there is a great moment in other sports. Come September most of the critics are talking football non-stop and cannot remember the name of the long jumper who took gold.

The majority of us only see the final seconds/minutes of years of hard work therefore we witness the BIG moment and nothing else. In sports like football we witness pretty much everything over a season - the good, the terrible and everything in between.

Footballers are athletes, they work hard to get where they are.

Personally I think it's sad that we always have to compare every sporting moment with football. We help fund the mega-wages.

You could say all you like, it won't change the fact that people are just not interested. People can try to be interested, I know that I did, but it doesn't make it so. It would have been nice to get another gold but, to be frank, the interest stops there.

A tweet from Stan Collymore:

Stan Collymore ‏@StanCollymore
FA/Prem/players take note! Football fans arent feeling any love from us as an industry! Need to learn from this Olympics.The truth.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 09:08:24 »

I still think it's a typical 'British' style moan. We couldn't possibly celebrate great sporting achievements without moaning about people who have nothing to do with the work of Rutherford, Farah, Ennis and the rest.

News reports were suggesting that football was going to experience a decline when Jonny Wilkinson kicked that drop goal in 2003 and when the cricketers won the Ashes for the first time in ages. Now Great Britain does well in the Olympics and all of a sudden it's "hang you heads in shame footballers".

I'm watching and enjoying the Olympics but I'm no different to most people when I say I couldn't give a monkeys about next years Munich rowing regatta or the next track and field event at Crystal Palace.

In football, my team won a trophy this year and are potentially 'on the up', the football industry is just fine for me at the moment!
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 09:10:33 by Costanza » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #493 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 09:14:26 »

Moaning?

Nobody's moaning, just not interested. How many people even know who we lost to? I don't, and I even tried watching it for a while.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 09:17:38 »

Moaning?

Nobody's moaning, just not interested. How many people even know who we lost to? I don't, and I even tried watching it for a while.

I'm not referring to the Team GB football team. I don't care about them in any way, shape or form. I'm referring to the general comments that people are making about how super-duper all the athletes are and how our "overpaid" footballers are everything what's wrong with the world.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 61   Go Up
Print
Jump to: