Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 61   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Olympics thread  (Read 190390 times)

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 15:04:14 »

Can someone explain the cycling to me as i am clueless about it.
If the brits are so good why didn't they get out front make all the running and stay there?
Also, why was the guy who came second looking over his shoulder right at the end allowing borats mate to come through, instead of busting a gut for the line?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 15:05:25 »

I guess its about conserving energy. I assumed britain thought the leaders would drop off, or others would go faster to help them catch up. But neither happened. Maybe that counts as being too clever, or maybe its just one of those things, I don't really know

Things get better but they never get good
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 15:11:22 »

I'm also a novice.  But it looks as if they (we) were sitting back at the head of the peloton on the belief that other countries back there were going to help us out, which would have enabled the front of the peloton to reel the leaders in, giving Cavendish the chance to sprint for it at the finish.  In the event, no other countries came forward, so the Brits just couldn't close the leaders down...so Cavendish was nowhere at the finish.  The commentators seemed supremely confident all the time the cyclists were out in Surrey, and suddenly seemed to get jumpy an hour or so from the end when it dawned on them that the Brits were isolated.

I'm starting to get in to my cycling more now.  Very watchable.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 15:11:35 »

I think GB's tactics would've been spot on if it were a tour race. As a one-off medal event, it nearly worked out but wasn't quite good enough. Like they said on commentary, everyone else in the peloton just expected GB to do all the graft and bring back the leaders.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 15:12:48 »

And hopefully Wiggins has got enough left in his legs for the TT on Wednesday.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 15:21:23 »

I'm also a novice.  But it looks as if they (we) were sitting back at the head of the peloton on the belief that other countries back there were going to help us out, which would have enabled the front of the peloton to reel the leaders in, giving Cavendish the chance to sprint for it at the finish.  In the event, no other countries came forward, so the Brits just couldn't close the leaders down...so Cavendish was nowhere at the finish.

That's exactly it, we just ran out of energy towards the end as no other country really helped out at the front of the peloton all day.  Don't understand when the Germans didn't do more work, they had nobody in the break and it would have been in their own interests to have the race end in a sprint.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 15:22:58 »

And hopefully Wiggins has got enough left in his legs for the TT on Wednesday.

Especially as Cancellara could be suffering from that crash he had, him and Wiggo should be battling for gold.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 15:29:32 »

The only consolation was that the Kazakh chap looked as if all his Christmases had come at once at the end.  He was totally blown away.  I was quite happy for him.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 15:36:33 »

The only consolation was that the Kazakh chap looked as if all his Christmases had come at once at the end.  He was totally blown away.  I was quite happy for him.

Vino has previous shall we say, on the being blown away front, he's also retiring at the end of this season, well at least from the TdF.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 15:41:02 »

Be fair to say Cav was not impressed with the Germans
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 15:41:19 »

Impressed with the way they went up Box Hill. I struggle to drive up there.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #131 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 15:57:01 »

I don't understand this, so the tactic was to cycle 250km and then outsprint them so why the fuck bother with the 250km and just do 800m..
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 16:30:44 »

I don't understand this, so the tactic was to cycle 250km and then outsprint them so why the fuck bother with the 250km and just do 800m..

Because you couldnt get 500k spectators in. Disappointed they blacked out the large cock that was drawn on the  box hill slope
carbonwhite

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 16:31:40 »

its an endurance race so dont see how shortening it would help.

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 18:19:43 »

Ian Thorpe has got to be queer. Cooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeee
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 61   Go Up
Print
Jump to: