Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Good Book/Shit Books  (Read 4024 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 17:42:32 »

I got really fucked off with Catch 22 and nearly chucked it out the window.  I'm probably supposed to say, "Ooooh it's a a 20th Century classic" or something.

I just found it annoying.

Anyone read Ulysses by James Joyce?

I haven't and don't intend to.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 17:43:13 »

I've got Catch 22. I bought it to look clever and I've never read it. It's too big.

I just read Of Mice and Men. It's shit.
Amir

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 19:10:55 »

I really enjoyed Catch 22, can't particularly say why as it was years ago I read it.  I was about to agree with sonic on of mice and men, but then I realised I was getting it confused with Catcher In The Rye.  Ooohhh the beat generation, pile of wank like On The Road.  Of Mice And Men is classic though, short and uncomplicated, but classic none the less.  Grapes of Wrath is brilliant also, although more than a bit depressing Crying
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 19:15:45 »

Mice and Men is okay. I think shit is pretty harsh. It becomes more interesting when you consider the context it was written in and how it was banned in the US of A.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 19:37:30 »

I quite liked Catcher in the Rye, but it irritated me in the same way as Of Mice and Men did. It's the dialogue.
bringbackshearer

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 19:47:24 »

Am reading Winter Moon by Dean Koontz.  Its ok but wouldnt go overboard about it really.  I want a good thriller next if anyone can recommend one.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, January 5, 2005, 21:16:00 »

I used to read a continuous stream of books, and then I got online.

Somehow there aren't enough hours in the day, for both activities.

OST... Catch 22 is a 20th Century classic.....the film version is OK as welll
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, January 7, 2005, 18:10:45 »

catch 22 bored the shit out of me, however good film, try a john grisham for thriller or a martina cole for a thriller whilst shagging children.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #23 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 20:44:53 »

Quote from: "bringbackshearer"
Am reading Winter Moon by Dean Koontz.  Its ok but wouldnt go overboard about it really.  I want a good thriller next if anyone can recommend one.

Dean Koontz is a quality author, although his recent efforts aren't as good. I thought Odd Thomas was strangely written. Am reading Night Chills now..not too far into it though. Dark Rivers Of The Heart was a very clever book..one of my favs
Dazzza

« Reply #24 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 21:18:52 »

Danny Wallace - Join Me...

Chap sets up a "collective" in tribute of his Swiss uncle who wanted to set up some commune.  Collects people via passport photos, doesn't know what to do with them, makes them do good deads and goes on "crazy" trips across Europe.  

Load of old balls.

Co-author of I'm Dave Gorman and it just smacked that the chap was after a "crazy idea" like his mates Gorman and Tony Hawks who trecked across Ireland with a fridge and got a book deal.

Not as funny as Gorman and while it had "potential charming tale" sadly it stinks of someone only doing it purely for the book deal.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #25 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 21:22:24 »

Yeh I was intrigued about that for a while...never did read it...the shops couldn't sell it!
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 21:31:27 »

Quote from: "dazzza"

Chap sets up a "collective" in tribute of his Swiss uncle who wanted to set up some commune.  Collects people via passport photos, doesn't know what to do with them, makes them do good deads and goes on "crazy" trips across Europe.  

Load of old balls.

Co-author of I'm Dave Gorman and it just smacked that the chap was after a "crazy idea" like his mates Gorman and Tony Hawks who trecked across Ireland with a fridge and got a book deal.

Not as funny as Gorman and while it had "potential charming tale" sadly it stinks of someone only doing it purely for the book deal.

I fuckin love that book,he's much funnier than Gorman in my opinion

/
W56196272
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #27 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 21:35:53 »

Carrie's war by Nina Bawden is possibly the shittest book ever written.
Had to read that at school - I liked the story Of Mice And Men but Steinbeck used too much dialogue - in my view the way it is written is a bit simpleton. Still a very good story and I like the fact it all takes place over the space of a few days.
Dazzza

« Reply #28 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 21:36:42 »

Quote from: "Yeovil Red"
Quote from: "dazzza"

Load of old balls.

I fuckin love that book,he's much funnier than Gorman in my opinion

I thought you may have menioned it before.

Are you Joinee Yeovil Red then?

yeo

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 21:40:47 »

Joinee Robus no 12358

/
W56196272
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: