Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I really don't envy King his job at the moment.  (Read 2351 times)
BigStan

« on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 22:40:10 »

The club's atrocious financial state and the board's superbly handled public announcement about new contracts has left King in an absolutely awful position from which to build / rebuild the squad for next season.

It's well known that Swindon are right down near the bottom of the big payers league. At the same time it's also well documented that they're right at the top of the late payers league.

Bearing in mind that the players out of contract in the summer haven't been or won't be offered even a cost of living increase to their contracts then what we're looking at is a drop in wages for them if they accept new contracts.

I'm sure some people think most of the players don't deserve paying at all.

Notwithstanding that, the fact is that nearly all of the players out of contract can and probably will get more money and longer contracts elsewhere. If you can avoid a drop in earnings and guarantee that you get paid EVERY month why would you want to stay at Swindon.

Even those players forced to drop down a division will almost inevitably get a better deal than Swindon are willing to offer.

Those players who are more sought after will significantly increase their money and will get attractive contract terms.

The only players wanting to stay will be the ones who nobody else wants.

King has already admitted that the players' agents are already busy getting them moves away and that he may be forced to offer contracts to players he would originally have intended to release.

When it comes to attracting new players King has exactly the same problems. The club's reputation as a wage defaulter is very well known, as is it's pitiful wage structure.

The only players he's going to get to sign up are going to be those who really can't find anything better. You can just imagine the sales pitch - "The money's not very good and I can't say that you'll get paid every  month but at least you'll get to play in front of big crowds, as many as  4000 on a good day".

In short, the squad is going to be filled with youngsters and old lags who have nowhere else to go. They won't come to Swindon because they desparately want to "Wear the shirt". They'll come because nobody else offered anything better.

When you consider that the money from Sam's move will most certainly ALL disappear down the £900,000 CVA blackhole it hardly forms the basis for optimism.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 11, 2005, 23:15:31 »

I'm not sure that King has the heart  for the job any more.....I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk.

He must know that given the circumstances he's done as much as is possible...why put yourself through the forthcoming grief for the sake of a few grand.
Dazzza

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 11:39:00 »

The public announcements that I have herd regarding contracts have all come from King .

True to form the same week the players aren't paid is the week he then announces that he will be having a massive clear out and that there is not much in the pot for those staying.

walrus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2005, 18:09:22 »

Bollocks, crying poverty is not an excuse for crap league performances.  Yes he's got a tough job, but I imagine the budget was much smaller when King first took over in his second spell.  He's got the eye for a player to build a good squad for next season, even if it means losing the majority of our squad over the summer.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 5, 2005, 21:02:34 »

I would love to be Swindon managr right now, an then would hate every minute of it when I found out what has been going on!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: