Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hillsborough Memorial  (Read 8748 times)
yeo

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 14:42:42 »

Ive listened and watched and its brought a tear to my eye.

The Minister for Sport has taken a bit of a hammering though.

/
W56196272
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 15:24:08 »

There a documentory on the History channel tonight on ther Hilsborough disaster, I think there is also one in ITV2, one of them I suspect is worth watching.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 16:38:39 »

What's that got to do with Hillsborough?
dell boy

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 16:42:28 »

Ive listened and watched and its brought a tear to my eye.

The Minister for Sport has taken a bit of a hammering though.

Very moving - first time I've been able to understand Dalgleish as well which was a surprise.

What record will be No. 1 in two weeks time then?
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 16:47:53 »

I cant watch things about this without crying - and I have a heart of stone normally

I remember sitting watching it happen on the TV and panicing as I knew my dad was out at a football match but didnt understand he wouldnt be at Hillsborough thank the lord
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 16:55:02 »

What's that got to do with Hillsborough?

oops wrong thread
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 17:05:57 »

This is all very very sad and owt, but why do other football tragedys not get the same coverage i.e bradford. I'm not saying the coverage hillsbrough has been getting is unwarranted, just perhaps a little disproportionate

Things get better but they never get good
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 17:21:19 »

I dont fully understand the compelxites of the whole situation but I believe its probably because the Yorkshire Police never accepted any responsibilty for what happened and the victims families have been lied to and fobbed off ever since.Also if you give a Scouser a cause like this they (rightly) dont let go.If my 14 year kid died at footy match id be inclined to keep fighting for justice as well.

One things for sure it changed football in this country forever.

/
W56196272
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 18:33:08 »

A few days ago I watched a video of a European Cup semi final (AC Milan v Real Madrid) held a few days after Hillsborough during which they stopped the game after 6 minutes (when the Hillsborough game was stopped) to hold a minutes silence then about halfway through the silence the fans started singing You'll Never Walk Alone.

I cried like a baby for about 15 minutes and was still visibly shaken an hour or so later.

For all the shit that goes on in football, its good to know that at the end of the day all football fans around the world come together at times like that and put their differences to one side (even if only for 60 seconds). Kind of restores your faith in the world.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 18:40:06 »

This is all very very sad and owt, but why do other football tragedys not get the same coverage i.e bradford. I'm not saying the coverage hillsbrough has been getting is unwarranted, just perhaps a little disproportionate

Partly because it was the worst stadium disaster in Britain and partly because unlike Bradford etc, it was a watershed in terms of how football and it's stadia changed.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Rich Pullen

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 18:51:58 »

Partly because it was the worst stadium disaster in Britain and partly because unlike Bradford etc, it was a watershed in terms of how football and it's stadia changed.

I have no intentions to get bogged down in a pointless debate - but a disaster is a disaster if it's 50 dead like in Bradford or 90 dead like in Sheffield. So I agree with David's sentiments.

...and then there is Heysel - another truly preventable disaster that is swept under the carpet a little bit.

Young, innocent people died in these events which is heartbreaking regardless.

Anywho, the memorial was very well done.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 19:13:29 »

I watched the liverpool fc channel all afternoon, i blubbed like a baby, truley horrific images, lets face it, anyone who is old enough to remember terracing on the scale of hillsborough knows that it could have easily have been them.

Did anyone see the poems programme after the service, strong as fuck, really emotional stuff.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 19:15:56 »

anyone who is old enough to remember terracing on the scale of hillsborough knows that it could have easily have been them

A fair point.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 19:24:03 »

lets face it, anyone who is old enough to remember terracing on the scale of hillsborough knows that it could have easily have been them.

I've been to Hillsborough a number of times, and stood on the Kop there when it was so packed that you could hardly get a view of the game, and at no time was it actually dangerous.

In fact the worst conditions I have actually ever had on a terrace was in our Simod Cup game at Luton.

The biggest problem with the Leppings lane end at Hillsborough was the side fences, as that meant that the crowds could not disperse over the entire width of the terrace.

If you watch footage from that day you could see big gaps in both of the side pens at the Liverpool end.

There were a number of critical mistakes made that led to the tragedy, but one simple action would have prevented it all, and that would have been to close the tunnel behind the central pens.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 19:26:43 »

I'm sure that many things have happened in our lives during the last 20yrs,but i can remember 15th April 89,
as if it were yesterday.

It was a lovely sunny spring day and we were at home to Watford.We were pushing for the play offs  under
Lou and our end of season form took us there.

I was standing on the Shrivvy Rd terraces and a couple of guys with a radio,said about 20 mins into our game,
that the semi final at Hillsborough had been delayed due to crowd trouble.There was some laughter from them
and a few comments.A little bit later,a guy behind me said,"It's far more serious".At halftime it was announced
over the tannoy,that the match a Hillsborough had been abandoned.

When i got into my car,it was only then the full extent of the tragedy dawned on all of us.I had a long drive
home in the sunshine,but i felt numb and empty at the news from Hillsborough.I remember the BBC's
Peter Jones's report.Mike Ingham a few years later,said that Jonesy had to witness Heysel and then
Hillsborough and that a little bit of Jonesy died that day.One year later,almost a year to the day
Peter Jones passed away.

When i got home,i had to go out into my town for something and i walked past the local fishmonger.
In a tray at the front, there was a Liverpool scarf with a black ribbon around it.It was so poignant.

No true football fan for one minute would belittle the tragedies at Ibrox,Bradford or Heysel,but Hillsborough
was a defining moment for football and supporters in this country.Ninety six football fans went to a match
that saturday and never returned home alive.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: