Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 ... 61   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: January transfer window thread  (Read 128738 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 14:57:15 »

As soon as Paynter left he suddenly went from being a good striker to being a donkey in a lot of fans eyes. Its the  standard thing that happens to a lot of players when they leave, a lot of Pox fans were doing it with Constable last week when he was seemingly on his way.

Paynter was dogshit at Wembley but he wasn’t anywhere near 100% fit
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 15:06:47 »

It's all gone a bit quiet on the transfer front this week.  Maybe after the Cunstable situation they have decided to keep talks out of the papers until deals are signed.

Good, hope it stays quiet. Like the look of our squad now and no transfer news out of the CG means no players leaving. Would be happy with no more ins or outs (bar Lanzano I guess) for the rest of the window.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 15:09:17 »

I always thought that Paynter became a much better player when Wilson joined.
Whether it was due to having a manager that believed in him, or just one that told him to go out & earn a new contract Im not sure.

But the last 18 months he was at Swindon were undoubtably the best of his career.

Once he got to Leeds his form went to shit, just as it was when he played under Malpas.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #828 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 15:24:57 »

As soon as Paynter left he suddenly went from being a good striker to being a donkey in a lot of fans eyes. Its the  standard thing that happens to a lot of players when they leave, a lot of Pox fans were doing it with Constable last week when he was seemingly on his way.

Paynter was dogshit at Wembley but he wasn’t anywhere near 100% fit

There is absolutely no doubt that Paynter would not even have been considered for selection for any other game bar the Wembley one!  Why some fans are on his back now, just because of an unsubstantiated rumour is beyond me!  Some people need to calm down and trust in PDC, whatever happens!
Coca Fola

« Reply #829 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 15:29:17 »

Paynter did a lot of donkey work (pardon the pun) and we didn't really realise how important his contribution was until he left. He won so many headers and free kicks and was fantastic at making the ball stick up front. He also scored the odd goal too.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 17:22:00 »

Pourquoi?   Sure, he did well with Cox but he wasn't scoring the goals he did when Austin was alongside him. 

No, he wasnt getting as many goals.

Cox and/or Jack Smith was the penalty taker for Paynters first two seasons. Only in his final season did he get spot kick duty - which will usually add 5(ish) or more goals to someones tally per season.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 18:11:10 »

No, he wasnt getting as many goals.

Cox and/or Jack Smith was the penalty taker for Paynters first two seasons. Only in his final season did he get spot kick duty - which will usually add 5(ish) or more goals to someones tally per season.

But didn't it add close to double that?
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #832 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 18:28:23 »

You think he scored nearly 14 penalties?

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Barry Scott

« Reply #833 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 18:47:40 »

I think by recollection he only scored 15 goals from open play. So 14 would be right, assuming I'm right of course. Smiley
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #834 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 18:57:58 »

I'm sure someone will dig out the stats but I'm sure in his prolific season he bagged 10 or 11 penalties, perhaps more as Barry says.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #835 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 19:00:18 »

This is boring with no transfers to talk about. Sack the board.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #836 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 19:01:16 »

Bloody hell is that quiet on the transfer front that we are talking about how many penalties Paynter scored?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 19:02:19 »

Paynter doesn't strike me as a Di Canio type player anyway.
dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 19:12:39 »

I'm sure someone will dig out the stats but I'm sure in his prolific season he bagged 10 or 11 penalties, perhaps more as Barry says.

I've just had a look and in the 2009/2010 season Paynter scored 29 goals of which 8 were penalties. I've never understood supporters who knock Billy and I've never understood supporters who discredit strikers who score loads of penalties? They still need putting away (Matt Ritchie!) and as far as i can remember he only missed one penno at Walsall?

Paynter still outscored Austin in open play but because Austin was our darling non-league find, this was overlooked and is still overlooked now. May I also remind the Paynter knockers that Billy gave us 3 years full service and warranted a move to a higher league club after scoring nearly 30 goals in a season! He left in far less acrimonious circumstances than Austin who threw a strop and demanded to leave when we were in the shit at the wrong end of League One.

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #839 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 19:17:35 »

I guess 8 is nearly 14.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 ... 61   Go Up
Print
Jump to: