Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy reaction....  (Read 6097 times)
Christy

Ignore
« on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 20:49:55 »

Seeing as nearly all the reaction so far has been positive, some sobering thoughts on a  typically bewidering night at the CG.

Performance was absolutely dismal. Two poor performances and six points. This is either a truly awful league or we've used all our luck up already. Or somewhere in between.

It wasn't so much the abject lack of quality on offer that was disappointing, it was the way we set out to play: full backs repeatedly hitting fifty yard half-witted diagonal balls into a congested area on the edge of their box. Nope. On the few occasions that we tried to get it down and wide, a player as hopeless as Ricky Shakes caused all sorts of problems. Every set piece: intricacy over simplicity. Every outcome: waste.

For all the hullaballoo about fitness and organisation, Barnet, Barnet! were sharper and more cohesive, though utterly bereft of threat. Their goal came from a horrrendous Frank Spencer sequence of defending. I seriously can't remember either goalkeeper making ANY saves. Mr Wise will have to learn about this dungeon division very, very quickly. I shudder to think what the reaction would have been like if this was an AK team.....

But, for all that, uplifting too. Queues to get in, and buy stuff from the shop that all are glad to bear. The attendance being clapped. Graz getting a warm reception. We will (surely!?) get better. There was an almost tangible desperation in the crowd, please let us be quite good again, which will inspire (or choke) the team. Christian Roberts, head and shoulders above the rest, stood alone in being able to offer class and entertainment.

And the winning goal, surely one of the finest to grace the ground in a long, long time, deserved six points in itself.

Enjoy the ride, but don't expect a smooth one.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 20:54:57 »

cheer up it wasnt that bad

as for Barnet looking sharper I disagree, towards the end of the game it was all Swindon and they couldnt get near us
STFCere

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 21:27:49 »

tbh, i have to agree with some of that. imo, the performance against barnet left a lot to be desired. for long periods of play they looked the better side and tried hard to play competent football. i think we were lucky to get the 3, and by the sounds of it, lucky for the 3 away at pool. but, the points is all that matters, so bring it on

ing on Sabin: "He's the new Thierry Henry"

Gazza on life in China: "I'm enjoying every day. I've tried everything: duck's head, chicken's head, chicken's feet and bats and hopefully, if I keep that up, I'll be flying."

'The first 90 minutes are the most important.' - Bobby Robson
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 21:43:19 »

Another one of these "I'll post an essay therefore I must be correct" threads.

Whats done is done. 6 points out of 6 and a bit of luck (not like were due any or anything  :nuts: )

We need to look forward to Rochdale and beyond...not constantly bang on about whats been achieved (yes achieved) so far.

2 games into the season............not long enough to judge anything.

Look @ City last season. Abysmal start and ended up one of the most in form teams close to play offs.  All I'm saying is that we haven't peaked early however haven't had the chance to do anything to warrant all this "were were dismal etc."

People who criticise after two performances are very narrow minded and don't encourage confidence.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 21:46:57 »

On a more sourer note that the previous post, no the performances havent been perfect, but the results have

However, Wise is clever enough to see the small cracks that have been papered over by the results, were as Kingy and Iffy would ignore them.

We won, but Wise still picked out our crap set pieces, Pook was awful  and we lacked expirence in midfield, again Wise saw this and changed it at half time....King would have waited till the 80th minute or something.

Wise will keep them on the ground, he wont let them get above their station he knows full well we've won nothing yet

but as fans, lets at least enjoy winning....its been a while!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 21:50:40 »

And we seem to be forgetting that we've come up against two teams that have played very well. Ill doubt if we see much better opposition performances throughout the rest of the season. If we can win while we play crap. then happy days Cheesy  Beers

Things get better but they never get good
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 21:53:51 »

Barnet IMO didn't play very well in the sense that I dont think they will be going anywhere this season.

Its a known fact that good teams can play crap and win - we NEVER did that last season. Played crap and lost end of.

On that note, I am confident that we will come up with much better performances.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 21:58:21 »

didnt you predict us to lose the game though....

Cheesy

The resident pessimist has some faith  Cool
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 22:02:33 »

Quote from: "DV85"

Cheesy

Yes. Winning two games in a row (in the ways we did) is not the norm for STFC Cheesy  However you predicted us to win 5 nil.

I'd say we were both very inaccurate however your optimism is superb!  
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 22:07:09 »

Quote from: "STFCLady"

Cheesy

Yes. Winning two games in a row (in the ways we did) is not the norm for STFC Cheesy  However you predicted us to win 5 nil.

Isnt wasnt quite 5-0 but we won.... Cool
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 22:09:06 »

Cheesy

Isnt wasnt quite 5-0 but we won.... Cool

And you say you only have between 0-10 units per week ! Soapy Tit Wank
red macca

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 22:12:44 »

Quote from: "Christy"
Seeing as nearly all the reaction so far has been positive, some sobering thoughts on a  typically bewidering night at the CG.

Performance was absolutely dismal. Two poor performances and six points. This is either a truly awful league or we've used all our luck up already. Or somewhere in between.

It wasn't so much the abject lack of quality on offer that was disappointing, it was the way we set out to play: full backs repeatedly hitting fifty yard half-witted diagonal balls into a congested area on the edge of their box. Nope. On the few occasions that we tried to get it down and wide, a player as hopeless as Ricky Shakes caused all sorts of problems. Every set piece: intricacy over simplicity. Every outcome: waste.

For all the hullaballoo about fitness and organisation, Barnet, Barnet! were sharper and more cohesive, though utterly bereft of threat. Their goal came from a horrrendous Frank Spencer sequence of defending. I seriously can't remember either goalkeeper making ANY saves. Mr Wise will have to learn about this dungeon division very, very quickly. I shudder to think what the reaction would have been like if this was an AK team.....

But, for all that, uplifting too. Queues to get in, and buy stuff from the shop that all are glad to bear. The attendance being clapped. Graz getting a warm reception. We will (surely!?) get better. There was an almost tangible desperation in the crowd, please let us be quite good again, which will inspire (or choke) the team. Christian Roberts, head and shoulders above the rest, stood alone in being able to offer class and entertainment.

And the winning goal, surely one of the finest to grace the ground in a long, long time, deserved six points in itself.

Enjoy the ride, but don't expect a smooth one.
although i agree the simple fact is we deserved to win on tuesday
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 22:13:25 »

lack of sleep... :?
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 22:23:19 »

Another one of these "I'll post an essay therefore I must be correct" threads.

Whats done is done. 6 points out of 6 and a bit of luck (not like were due any or anything  :nuts: )

We need to look forward to Rochdale and beyond...not constantly bang on about whats been achieved (yes achieved) so far.

2 games into the season............not long enough to judge anything.

Look @ City last season. Abysmal start and ended up one of the most in form teams close to play offs.  All I'm saying is that we haven't peaked early however haven't had the chance to do anything to warrant all this "were were dismal etc."

People who criticise after two performances are very narrow minded and don't encourage confidence.

Top post  Cheesy

At the end of the day its the start of the season.  The current Swindon squad have only played with each other for 6-7 weeks.  We all know the performances haven't been of the highest quality - but we've picked up six points.  10 years down the line when you see the scoreline  Swindon 2-1 Barnet, you won't be saying 'i remember that game, its the one we played really crap but still managed to win'.

I think Wise and everyone else at the club realise that there is room for improvement at Swindon.  Judge Town 10-15 games into the season when the team have had more experience with one another and when Wise has drilled more tactics into Town.
sonic youth

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 22:29:08 »

did you go up to hartlepool?

can't comment on the performance up there - although giving away two penalties isn't exactly comforting - but i thought our performance against barnet was far from dismal. it wasn't impressive, it wasn't even efficient but it was just enough. it was sufficient to edge out a fairly solid and hard-working team.

Every set piece: intricacy over simplicity. Every outcome: waste.

set pieces are valuable at all levels of the game and league 2 isn't any different in that respect. the players seem to be working hard on set pieces and were out on the pitch hours before the game practicing them. the delivery needs to be better and the attacking of the ball needs to be better, but that will come. i hope.

disagree there as well, i think it was our fitness and fresh substitutes that won us the game at the end. last season, we'd have been chasing shadows by 70 minutes. however, barnet were a solid unit and with warhurst and hessenthaler in the middle they'll make things difficult for most teams but the key thing is that wise recognised this and amended the problem by taking off the ineffective pook and replacing him with evans, which gave our midfield the chance to get back into the game. king would have just waited until 80 minutes and put three men up front.

There was an almost tangible desperation in the crowd, please let us be quite good again, which will inspire (or choke) the team.

definitely inspire. definitely. mark my words Cool
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: