Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 23086 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #330 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:14:06 »

I think odimayo will suffer from the signing

can't see the captain being dropped, and O'Brien and copper will be here to get minutes.
Me too, Williams is a natural left footer too which Mayo certainly isn't so doesnt easily fit on the left side of the 3 CB's.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:17:20 »

can't see the captain being dropped, and O'Brien and copper will be here to get minutes.
How long do we keep persisting with him though, not only is he costing us goals but he’s the one that is supposed to organiser the defence and that clearly doesn’t ever happen. I could almost accept his erratic form his he was a good leader but he just isn’t!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:19:16 »

just watched the goal again, O'Brien did miss the header but I think it's more fair to say he couldn't get there

Conroy didn't defend his man, who scored .
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:21:13 »

Quote from: theakston2k
How long do we keep persisting with him though, not only is he costing us goals but he’s the one that is supposed to organiser the defence and that clearly doesn’t ever happen.

it's frustrating because he has a good have and still has a less than stellar hand in the equaliser.

not point asking me, I don't pick the team Smiley I just can't see Garner dropping him.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:21:28 »

Davison:
- Disappointed not to come away with 3 points
- Corner came in. Big man won his header and there was a bit of a mix up
- They will be buzzing after that
- We played well. Kept ball well. Had all the chances but didn't finish it off
- First training session Tuesday
- Should have scored in the first half
- At the end. Got head on the ball and felt 2 fists on the back of his head
- Slid to get the ball. Keeper thought he'd deliberately slid into him and then stamped on Davison. Linesman saw it and ref sent keeper off
- McKirdy is a really good player. Seen him before. Davison needs to get an understanding with him

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:21:39 »

We were brilliant against 11. Didn't have a clue what to do with the extra 2.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:22:20 »

Sounds just what we need and must be the writing on the wall for Conroy then!

Would not be surprised to see Conroy pushed into midfield
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:22:24 »

I was stressed ever since the went down to 10.

I don’t know what it was, but I just had that sinking, horrible feeling that we’d pay for all those missed chances. It felt inevitable. Not a good sign.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:23:13 »

I think odimayo will suffer from the signing

can't see the captain being dropped, and O'Brien and cooper will be here to get minutes.
Me too. I think the comment about being a 'good communicator' was interesting.

Odimayo has been criticised in the past for being quiet.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:26:28 »

Hawes & Embleton:
- Inevitably Davison was a bit flat after that
- Overriding emotion for all concerned
- Coaches want time to work with their players. But, what will be great after this, is to quickly switch their focus to Tuesday. Work on it on the bus on the way home.
- Make sure recovery is right, rest and eat properly
- Having a game that soon will help
- Difficult to tell what Crawley will offer. They are inconsistent
- Fairly youthful team
- Other results gone against Town. Difficult to stay in top 7 let alone top 3

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:28:26 »

What's the view of the keeper being sent off? Need to see it again.

Can't remember a keeper being sent off against us for a reaction - now we have two.

Oh and BBC Essex commentary was pretty good - Hawesesque to be honest. They didn't complain...
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:38:26 »

Me too, Williams is a natural left footer too which Mayo certainly isn't so doesnt easily fit on the left side of the 3 CB's.

Am I missing something? Who’s Williams that would play centre back?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:41:10 »

Probably time to take stock, step back and look at the slightly bigger picture.

For Col U that point could save their season from the Football League basement trap door. For Town, still in the POs, win those GiH and both Newport & Tranmere will be panicking. It's tight as a Nun's orifice and a hell of a lot of points to play for.

No shocker that LG focused more on the ref (even if he was a bit gash) so no point getting knicker twisty about that as it's his go to comment (like Dave Flitcroft with synergy & microwaves). What stuck out for me was when he said something like:

"I can't criticise any of the lads out there."

Well good managers can and do criticise players (privately and in the correct way, not in the double standards way of the previous dinosaur shaped incumbent).

The football is much better and at times Town are unplayable. Trying to park le bus against  8 outfield players is virtual suicide. They have nothing to lose (other than the match) going for it at one nil down as they either get a point or still lose, their situation can only really improve.

Garner stating that down to 9 men was "a bit confusing as it messed up the zones" is a load of horse bollocks. Either the player notices their shape/zoning is wrong and adapts or the coaching team notice it and instruct which player to be where. They are supposedly professionals after all. LG in post-match pressers is fast becoming incredibly Luke Warm.

Final note, not really fair to send Josh Davison out for a P-MP when he's only been here 5mins. Where's Conroy, Williams or Gladwin. One of those (or similar) should be first out to have a natter.

I do like Conroy as a player but he inherited the captaincy and he just isn't a natural leader. I'm sure he would admit it privately. It's not knocking the player in ability but I think having the responsibility of captaincy does impact his game negatively. We see it often with some of the best sports stars - Alastair Cook & Joe Root in cricket come to mind. Basically, we aren't seeing the best out of someone like Conroy because the captaincy has hampered him. He replaced Olly Lancashire in the role and I don't see any true progression since then (not including injuries) in regards to real leadership. I feel sorry for him.

Cooper and Barry coming in should improve things and I certainly think one more is needed too; it most definitely has to be a leader though. This stage of the season is crucial to take the bull by the horns. Assured, definitive and decisive leadership is one of the keys to the season either being rewarded with success or reducing to a watery petering out.

Still all relative as I started with. In a much better position than most expected but we are all allowed to adapt our expectations of the team as a season unfolds. This also includes being frustrated from game to game when things don't quite go too well.

No major concerns. No huge tantrums. Just assess the damage and correct it in the next match.

COYMFR!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
digby

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:42:46 »

Harsh
.....but so true !!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Saturday, January 29, 2022, 17:43:16 »

Me too. I think the comment about being a 'good communicator' was interesting.

Odimayo has been criticised in the past for being quiet.

I think Conroy also needs to be a little more vocal. Odimayo might be quiet but he's not the captain either (not that, that stops a player from being vocal). Be nice to see a true/natural leader on the pitch.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: