Pages: 1 ... 441 442 443 [444] 445 446 447 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2043344 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #6645 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:27:24 »

A nation of millions has its Prime minister decided by 92,000 people. Democracy?

I don't have a strong opinion either way on BJ or JC (both as terrifyingly bad as each other, potentially), but this take is annoying me.

In the UK we do not elect a PM. We vote for a party. So, 92,000 haven't decided the nations PM at all. As a nation, we voted for a government to be led by a party, not a person.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6646 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:29:01 »

I don't have a strong opinion either way on BJ or JC (both as terrifyingly bad as each other, potentially), but this take is annoying me.

In the UK we do not elect a PM. We vote for a party. So, 92,000 haven't decided the nations PM at all. As a nation, we voted for a government to be led by a party, not a person.
You are quite right. However, it's no longer clear that that party commands a majority, especially not under their new leader. He's lost 2 ministers already and he's not even PM yet
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6647 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:29:04 »

Corbyn would be on Iran’s side

You do know about our history with Iran... how siding with the US we overthrew the democratically elected government of Mohammad Mosaddegh, in order to prevent the nationalisation of oil production. This coup was instigated to keep BP profits in the hands of shareholders.

I'm sure Jeremy would underestand the Iranians might have reasons not to trust the US/UK and that going to war over a resource which has a relatively short shelf life now, might not be the best idea and some other accommodation is needed.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6648 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:30:08 »

A nation of millions has its Prime minister decided by 92,000 people. Democracy?
People never vote for a PM. They vote for a party or local MP. Nobody at all voted Gordon Brown
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6649 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:33:58 »

People never vote for a PM. They vote for a party or local MP. Nobody at all voted Gordon Brown
The 3rd part of that is true, but the 1st two while true in practice are increasingly untrue in terms of people's intent. We increasingly have a presidential style of politics where people do vote for the presumed qualities of the leader, rather than the platform of their party. You only have to scroll back in this thread to see the "better than Corbyn" comments

Ignore
« Reply #6650 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:36:01 »

You are correct but the fact remains that the prime minister has been chosen by 92,153 people. Is that democratic?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6651 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:42:53 »

The people of Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath did...

Its just the way the system works, when Brown got the gig the Tory boys were all whining about it and now its just the opposite side of the political spectrum who are realising how the system works.

I don't buy the argument that by electing Johnson we are fucked, this country has been fucked for 4 years, hopefully by electing the narcissistic clown with the morals of a sewer rat it will accelerate the realisation that the country is broken and something will be done.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #6652 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:43:14 »

the two were separated by the no-deal option, Hunt - no and Johnson - yes.
Those 92,153 people voted yes to a possible no-deal on the 31st Oct, wish I had a vote on a no-deal!
Panda Paws

« Reply #6653 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:49:04 »

You are correct but the fact remains that the prime minister has been chosen by 92,153 people. Is that democratic?

Yes, it's democratic in so much that it's aligned with the UK's version of democracy.

Ignore
« Reply #6654 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:52:28 »

Are you telling me people didn't vote for Tony Blair the man? I'm 100% sure they did. The same as people did for Maggie Thatcher. They would just look for the Labour/Tory candidate on the form for that purpose.

The same system was in place when Gordon Brown was made PM. I personally don't agree with it regardless of the political party in power.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #6655 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 11:53:09 »

How would it be worse?
Why would it make you want to leave the country?

He won't/can't answer... he's just been told by the Mail

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Cowley38

Ignore
« Reply #6656 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 12:00:42 »

He won't/can't answer... he's just been told by the Mail

Because you think things are bad now?

If Corbyn gets in Power multiply that by 100..........
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6657 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 12:01:59 »

Because you think things are bad now?

If Corbyn gets in Power multiply that by 100..........
That isn't really an answer is it? Just a more vehement assertion
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6658 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 12:02:51 »

You do know about our history with Iran... how siding with the US we overthrew the democratically elected government of Mohammad Mosaddegh, in order to prevent the nationalisation of oil production. This coup was instigated to keep BP profits in the hands of shareholders.

I'm sure Jeremy would underestand the Iranians might have reasons not to trust the US/UK and that going to war over a resource which has a relatively short shelf life now, might not be the best idea and some other accommodation is needed.

Indeed, although it would possibly be better worded in the US siding with us, as it was our problems we sought their help with and the government used (as we do today with Corbyn to a degree)  a skewed version of politics to persuade the yanks that Iran was heading towards Communism (they weren't!)

However the minute you refereed to Corbyn as Jeremy your point ceased to have any value.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6659 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 12:03:25 »

I don't buy the argument that by electing Johnson we are fucked, this country has been fucked for 4 years, hopefully by electing the narcissistic clown with the morals of a sewer rat it will accelerate the realisation that the country is broken and something will be done.
Completely agree with your sentiment but nonetheless the appointment of this oaf as PM will represent an all-time nadir for the UK's standing in the world. A genuine moment of shame
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 443 [444] 445 446 447 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: