Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 1183 [1184] 1185 1186 1187 ... 1229   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4389201 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #17745 on: Thursday, November 23, 2023, 08:40:00 »

https://twitter.com/KRennicks40/status/1727295909002928421

I'm one of the morons who hates short corners and Luke Williams has me and my ilk on toast here.

He's clearly learnt a lot and speaks with the confidence of someone who knows what they are talking about. Oh what could've been.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #17746 on: Thursday, November 23, 2023, 08:46:00 »

He's clearly learnt a lot and speaks with the confidence of someone who knows what they are talking about. Oh what could've been.

I'll always remember how broken he seemed at the end here. Haunted, hoarse voice, it was genuinely sad to see. Totally thrown under the bus by The Slug.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #17747 on: Thursday, November 23, 2023, 08:47:23 »

For all the bad you can say about the Slug, he could pick a manager/coach and spot a player. Clem Jong Un doesn't even have that in his locker.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #17748 on: Thursday, November 23, 2023, 08:54:24 »

I think the general consensus on Luke Williams was always that the job came a bit too early for him here also not helped by other goings on.

Him going onto do better than he ultimately did here was never going to surprise anyone I don’t think

3 draws is the same as a win is still one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard though…
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #17749 on: Thursday, November 23, 2023, 08:58:49 »

For all the bad you can say about the Slug, he could pick a manager/coach and spot a player. Clem Jong Un doesn't even have that in his locker.

Totally. As discussed many times, the Slug could have been a highly successful L1/L2 Director of Football. But the lure of the open cash register was too strong...

Clem Jong Un hasn't got a scooby, as evidenced by the ridiculous Flynn contract extension, Sandro experiment, or any other football related decision frankly.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #17750 on: Thursday, November 23, 2023, 09:04:02 »

Totally. As discussed many times, the Slug could have been a highly successful L1/L2 Director of Football. But the lure of the open cash register was too strong...

Clem Jong Un hasn't got a scooby, as evidenced by the ridiculous Flynn contract extension, Sandro experiment, or any other football related decision frankly.

Yeah, but the Slug never gifted us a stadium though did he!
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #17751 on: Thursday, November 23, 2023, 09:08:50 »

Yeah, but the Slug never gifted us a stadium though did he!

True. Clem Jong Un's generosity knows no bounds. We should be grateful to have such a benevolent supreme leader. All Hail!
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #17752 on: Thursday, November 23, 2023, 10:07:57 »

Luke Williams was always destined to be successful somewhere where he was given time to build a side in the right way to suit his philosophy and allowed the patience of an owner and fans, he got neither here. Taking on a club in the NL and in the doldrums was a masterstroke for his career and reputation.

Even when he was with us he was spoken about as coaching excellence in football circles, and the desperation for immediate improvement here from the evil one and the fans was always going to end in tears - majority of the blame for that sits with Power for forcing him into the role even though he was quite obviously more comfortable at the time to be the brains behind the football strategy on the pitch, he just needed the right manager to work with.  Had the right decision been made at that time he could have been cooking in the background for the past few years to put himself in a place where he would be comfortable to step up at the right time, not thrown in at a moments notice.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #17753 on: Thursday, November 23, 2023, 11:12:36 »

I thought people jumped unfairly on Williams'  3 draws = a win comment at the time, and still do now.

What I understood him to be saying - in the context of the relegation battle we were in - was that if  a run of 3 games all end in a draw you have the same number of points as if they ended in 1 win and 2 defeats, and that if 2 or more of the  3 opponents were also in the same part of the table as us, not losing ground to either of those two might actually work out better at the end of the season than beating one and losing to the other.

In the febrile atmosphere of the second half of that season, and probably because of his inexperience in the manager role at that time, he probably wasn't confident (or maybe savvy) enough to give a long answer like his short corners masterpiece. 

As others have said, the players clearly rate his ability as a coach, and he seems to be doing well now (although of course being well financed does help.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #17754 on: Thursday, November 23, 2023, 11:54:19 »

I'll always remember how broken he seemed at the end here. Haunted, hoarse voice, it was genuinely sad to see. Totally thrown under the bus by The Slug.

Exactly. He sounded like a scared child every interview.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #17755 on: Thursday, November 23, 2023, 11:55:35 »

3 draws = a win was on a par with Paul Hart trying to convince our fan base we played with three strikers.

And basically every Sheridan or Scott Lindsey interview.
tans

Ignore
« Reply #17756 on: Monday, November 27, 2023, 08:40:31 »

Guess the player who hit the other players partner

The Wrexham star, who spent a season at Swindon Town in 2017-18, made shocking revelations about their dressing room environment as he claimed that an unnamed player hit his own girlfriend and then physically assaulted the partner of another team-mate which led to a huge fight in the squad.

In his autobiography ‘My Wrexham Story’, the striker wrote: "Sad to say that at Swindon I found the exact opposite to Morecambe. There wasn’t so much a split as a chasm. I could only watch as the changing room imploded around me. Everyone was getting on OK until one night out went totally haywire. One of the lads not only hit his own girlfriend but also the partner of another player.

"It caused a massive split in the camp. A lot of the lads, me included, were disgusted. What he’d done was wrong and from our point of view that was the end of it. Others remained close to the perpetrator. He was barred from the team for a week, and when he came back there was a clear divide. From that moment on we weren’t a team, and it hampered us. Without togetherness in a changing room, you will never achieve anything."

« Last Edit: Monday, November 27, 2023, 08:44:13 by tans » Logged
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #17757 on: Monday, November 27, 2023, 08:42:27 »

Mullin I assume.
tans

Ignore
« Reply #17758 on: Monday, November 27, 2023, 08:43:53 »

Mullin I assume.

No, the one who hit the other player mrs
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #17759 on: Monday, November 27, 2023, 08:50:13 »

No, the one who hit the other player mrs

Makes more sense  Cheesy

I've no idea but looking back through that season, shit that was a depressing time.
Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 1183 [1184] 1185 1186 1187 ... 1229   Go Up
Print
Jump to: