Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 ... 211   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 380883 times)
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #2055 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 10:03:02 »

Impossible? That’s all there is. Every day. Without fail.

Granted on stfc social media some go too far with the negative posts and some go too far with blinkered positivity, but it’s an exaggeration to say every day the club is being hounded by fans unfairly. The majority of the time the club gets shit, it’s for things they’ve caused themselves and could have easily been avoided.

This is also an STFC forum for STFC discussion, if you can’t discuss things here then where can you? 
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2056 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 10:07:34 »

Of course. But some seem to revel in it.
DMC

« Reply #2057 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 10:19:24 »

It was a shit deadline day. It was a fair window though.

What bothers me is that its impossible to criticise the club sometimes on here, its not moaning....its stating facts.

Flynn wanted 3 players he got zero players. Simple.
It really isn't impossible it's what 99% of people on here do all the time. Myself included recently, what you mean is that some people might disagree with you
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #2058 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 10:38:48 »

It was a shit deadline day. It was a fair window though.

What bothers me is that its impossible to criticise the club sometimes on here, its not moaning....its stating facts.

Flynn wanted 3 players he got zero players. Simple.

Did he want 3 players by 01/09/2023 though or wants to add 3 players? If we sign 2 free agents in the next couple of weeks he's got 2 out of the 3 he wants
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2059 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 12:58:56 »

Two things can be true at the same time.

I think we improved our team in the window, which is obviously a good thing.

I don't think we improved the squad sufficiently for a top 3 push, but that's just an opinion.  The back ups are limited and we still miss some ingredients needed to grind out results at times.

This window would have been perfect last season.  If we don't get promoted this year though, that would be four in a row in the bottom division.  That is abject failure for our club, so the pressure is on a bit.
Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #2060 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 13:09:07 »

Two things can be true at the same time.

I think we improved our team in the window, which is obviously a good thing.

I don't think we improved the squad sufficiently for a top 3 push, but that's just an opinion.  The back ups are limited and we still miss some ingredients needed to grind out results at times.

This window would have been perfect last season.  If we don't get promoted this year though, that would be four in a row in the bottom division.  That is abject failure for our club, so the pressure is on a bit.

Agreed regarding your point about this window being perfect for last season. A relatively weak L2, on the back of a promising first season back in this division where we unexpectedly got play-offs, but as you say, pressure is absolutely on now. Got promoted at the third time of asking in this league in 2019/20, where pressure was already mounting for promotion, but can't think we will be able to sustain our current attendances with another season in this league - they have already slightly dropped off this season, albeit only two home games with relatively poor away followings to the CG.

This team is undoubtedly stronger than last season, but we still lack depth. You're never going to be able to get quality depth in L2, but take Saturday for example. Other than RHM was there anyone else on the bench able to potentially change the game? Not in my opinion. Having to go into the free agent market highlights our failure towards the end of the window to acquire some decent depth. If you look at the clubs who have gone up in recent seasons, most will have been able to call upon some half-decent options off the bench. That is what separates a decent side, from a very good one at this level.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 4, 2023, 13:12:35 by Ides of March » Logged

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2061 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 13:20:01 »

While what people say about lack of depth is true, but it applies to every other club in this league. Take the starting XI + maybe a couple of subs most sides would struggle with injuries etc. Even Wrexham fans are saying they are so dependent on Mullin.

Most just can’t afford to have decent players on decent wages just hanging around in case someone gets injured.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #2062 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 14:08:13 »

While what people say about lack of depth is true, but it applies to every other club in this league. Take the starting XI + maybe a couple of subs most sides would struggle with injuries etc. Even Wrexham fans are saying they are so dependent on Mullin.

Most just can’t afford to have decent players on decent wages just hanging around in case someone gets injured.

I agree to be fair. The next hope we have is we have an option of young players coming off the bench to make a difference. Kanu looks like he may have a bit about him, but whether he'll get much of an opportunity is still up for debate.
DMC

« Reply #2063 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 14:43:00 »

Whilst i totally get that i don't think we should be comparing ourselves with most
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2064 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 14:47:44 »

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-two/startseite/wettbewerb/GB4#subnavi

On squad sizes - this link isn't perfect but it's a decent indicator (our 24 includes Harvey Fox, Sonny Hart & Reece Devine).

We have 24, the average squad is 26.9, the promotion contenders are mostly notably higher - Gills 31, Stockport 30, Bradford 30, Wrexham 30, Mansfield 29. The only ones with less than us are Morecambe, Harrogate and Crewe.

I don't think it's absolutely true to say everyone has a squad like us. The average L2 team probably does - but not the sides looking to go up.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2065 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 14:54:52 »

But it’s not about numbers - it’s about quality.

Stockport can’t buy a win, Gills lost 3 on the bounce, Bradford and Mansfield no better than us.

We had a load of players last season - lot of good that did.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2066 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 15:41:21 »

Tomi!

https://x.com/spfl/status/1698713002583724192?s=61&t=HYPly50GSEZLTKzNdaNp7Q
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2067 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 16:36:49 »

Fucking hell, better hope we never scour that league for new defenders, that was like watching Harries.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #2068 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 16:38:50 »

Fucking hell, better hope we never scour that league for new defenders, that was like watching Harries.

A turning circle like the Exxon Valdez.
digby

Ignore
« Reply #2069 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 20:30:06 »

Hmmm But what about that unused loan spot ?
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 ... 211   Go Up
Print
Jump to: