Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Crawley Town v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 20203 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 00:03:06 »

The Opponent:  Crawley Town

After something of a woeful weekend its time to move onwards to Crawley.  I won’t even entertain wasting a paragraph on the social misfit that just about added to a miserable Saturday all round.  The outpouring of stupidity across the various social networking sites was nothing short of laughable on Saturday evening.  I struggle to believe the lack of perspective at times, I could have swore more than a handful of supporters had us down as dead certs for relegation at the start of the season, but here we are, finding ourselves just a whisper outside of the play off’s, with key players missing, an inexperienced squad that had barely kicked a ball around between them when the season started, and again we are knocking at the door of another Wembley appearance. Perspective indeed.

Today we move on to Crawley, famous for hosting Gatwick Airport and, err, Gatwick Airport. In the 5th century, The Saxons named the area Crow's Leah, meaning a crow-infested clearing, or Crow's Wood. In the earlier part of this decade it was known as Fat Cunts Leah in tribute to football managing legend Steve Evans but reverted back to its current name when the kebab scoffing lardie upped sticks. Around 110’000 people are ‘lucky’ enough to be able to call Crawley their home. Crawley has a fairly decent list of notable folk, including penalty missing pundit, Gareth Southgate, Olympic Gold decathlete, Daley Thompson, Arsenal and England Woman’s Football Captain, Faye White, and half decent boxer Alan Minter was born in the West Sussex town back in 1951. Back in 1976, band The Cure were formed in Crawley.  Since the departure of the rotund alleged exposer, Crawley are not the hated team that they once were, although there does always seem that extra bit of spice when we play them. Our league record against Crawley is an impressive one having met 4 times, winning 3 and drawing 1, scoring 10 and conceding just 1, long may it continue.

Where the opposition gather –   The only forum I can get on to the message board is this one –

http://www.crawley.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=2

I believe there are TEF members that have access to the main Crawley site, but with a majority of their away support often represented in a single taxi, I can’t be going through the effort of joining.

Last 6 – LLLLDD (Despite the poor run of form they are on, Crawley are 13th on 21 points).

They have served us both –  Nicky Ajose, Jimmy Glass, Phil Smith, Elliot Benyon, Luke Rooney, Leon Clarke, Gary Alexander.

The Odds – Crawley 8/5  Draw 12/5  Swindon 15/8. There is only 1 score line to back, 0-3 to Town is 33/1 with Bet Victor.

The Son Says – For some reason he really enjoyed the match on Saturday, despite the score, and has stuck with his 2-1 to Town score.

The Prediction –  We will bounce back from Saturday’s disappointment in convincing style, capitalising on Crawley’s recent poor run of form with a 3-1 victory, goals from N’Guessan (2) and a late Kasim thunderbolt, 399 travelling to Gatwick.

And Finally –  The church at Worth has what is probably the largest surviving Saxon arch in the world? The arch stands 22 feet high and 14 feet wide, of typical rounded Saxon design with solid impost blocks. It is thought the church of St Nicholas dates from the late 10th century, but some suggest it may be earlier.

COYR COYR COYR
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 05:24:41 »

Split with my missus and lived in digs in Crawley for a bit.....lowest point of my life and I shudder when I go back there.

Early start at work today in Bagshot...I don't know if I will go tonight...It was a place that once I had been, I thought never again.....

I feel a 'bounce back' is on the cards, with away day Danny bagging a Hattrick. Nile to get nowt...

Clems Army!
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 06:23:15 »

Feel a town win coming here
2 - 1 for me with Ajose and N'Guessen bagging the goals
300 cold town fans making the effort
3100 overall
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 07:23:28 »

Do we only ever play Crawley when it's Baltic?!....

2-0 Swindon, N'Guessan & Ajose

290 travelling fans.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 08:34:48 »

Perfect game to bounce back with a win - no question about it......just can`t decide on 1-2 or 0-2 -  Too Cool

Bathtime
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 08:47:28 »

A quote from the Creepy forum...
Away at Colchester Swindon played a 4 6 0 system. They let Colchester have the ball in Colchester' s half and when Colchester became frustrated and lobbbed the ball forward Swindon challenged for the ball, won it and hit on the counter attack. Swindon won, one off, the most boring games of football ever played.

If they come and do that here they could win another of the most boring games of football ever played.

They are also saying that they have cut short Luke Rooneys loan and returned him to us.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 08:52:50 »

A quote from the Creepy forum...
They are also saying that they have cut short Luke Rooneys loan and returned him to us.

Who's saying that? I saw that mentioned on here yesterday, but couldn't find any info regarding it..

All I can find is that he's ineligible to play..

Roaming the land while you sleep..
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 09:06:43 »

At their presser yesterday their manager said he was ineligible due to town being his parent club.
Nothing about returning
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 09:18:24 »

I'm going so we will lose, and it will be cold.

2-0 Crawley.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 09:21:18 »

I also read in various Adver articles this morning that Ranger is out of favour. Has he played his last game for us?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 09:26:33 »

I also read in various Adver articles this morning that Ranger is out of favour. Has he played his last game for us?

Never say never but despite the "back in training" story last week I got the feeling Cooper isn't exactly chuffed (unsurprisingly)

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/10827157.Cooper_hails_Ajose_contribution/
“Nicky Ajose and Dany N’Guessan have done fantastically well so I’d prefer to talk about them rather than other people that are not available at the moment.

“I’m sure the fans would rather me talk about players who are actually here and are scoring goals for the football club.” "

2 - 1 Town tonight.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 09:54:08 »

Well, due to be a balmy 2 degrees at kick off... the London boys and girls are meeting from around 4.30 onwards in the Snooty Fox outside 3 bridges station, for anyone who fancies a pint and a chat with time to kill.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 10:18:36 »

Well, due to be a balmy 2 degrees at kick off... the London boys and girls are meeting from around 4.30 onwards in the Snooty Fox outside 3 bridges station, for anyone who fancies a pint and a chat with time to kill.

I can't get away from work early enough sadly so can't get there until around 6.45, I'll have to drink quickly!

Stupid question time. My train ticket is to Crawley. 3 bridges is on that line, does that mean my tickets is valid if I get out at 3 Bridges?

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 11:21:32 »

You'll be fine.  No problem getting off a stop early.

The only time you need to be careful with something like that is when pulling the 'Didcot Scam' - which, actually, isn't a scam at all because it's completely legitimate.  (It's where you use your TfL Gold Card/annual ticket to obtain a reduced fare for travel to home games on the Paddington to Didcot leg, and buy a separate ticket for the Didcot to Swindon leg which falls outside of the zone for which the Gold Card entitles you to the reduced fare.  When doing this, you just need to ensure that the trains you catch each way actually stop physically at Didcot, rather than running straight through to/from Reading.)

More info than you needed there, but as a newly initiated London Red I thought it might be useful.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 11:23:41 »

Last experience of Crawley involved my mugshot on the front page of the Adver...not going tonight, but I think we'll take a point 1-1. 280 travelling down, with an attendance at the car park of 2,812.

#VivaKenBarlow!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: