Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Poor Facilities at The County Ground.  (Read 32767 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 13:47:32 »

SBC would quite happily flog the CG, but it must be for the price of a potential houses/supermarket/MacDonalds etc.
Not true unless the purchaser wanted to build houses/supermarket/MacDonalds etc on the site. If they plan to keep it as a sporting venue, then they have to sell it as fair market valuation of the land as is. Which is substantially less than the value of the land as commercial/residential, and as you say, given the council are currently desperate to sell off any/every asset they can, and that we've historically been less than ideal tenants, would probably be comparatively cheap.

BUT for everyone lusting after that, have a look at the many recent sorry histories of clubs who've bought their own grounds only to immediately become much more attractive to rapacious developers and lived to regret it. The council might not be brilliant landlords (about as good as we are tenants, in fact) but think what would have happened if we'd owned the ground when Jed was in charge...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 13:51:40 »

The council might not be brilliant landlords (about as good as we are tenants, in fact) but think what would have happened if we'd owned the ground when Jed was in charge...

It would have been redeveloped as a 35,000 all seater ground with executive facilities and a bar for each fan - Jed told me on Twitter!
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 16:03:40 »

At least the Trust has secured the rights that IF the ground/land comes up for sale the fans have the first refusal. I think that's how it worked anyway...

And in regards to the Council not getting any benefit in helping with developments to the ground this isn't quite true. Example: if we got into the Championship and the Stratton Bank/replacement end was in use every week that would be an extra 1,000 fans at the ground every weekend from all over the country. They'd bring their pennies and spend them in the surrounding pubs, car parks, parking fines, food venues, renting of hotels etc. all contributing to the economy of Swindon thus helping the SBC.

I think.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 16:05:35 by JayBox325 » Logged

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 16:21:12 »

You have way too much faith in the council. They won't help us.
kerry red

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 16:33:52 »

Yep. No reason to think they'd start now
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 16:43:21 »

lease is up soon innit?
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 17:33:14 »

Spot on Tails....had numerous chances and never bothered before.

Clems Army!
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 18:07:27 »

Oh I know they won't help. But saying "They won't benefit at all from helping" is a bit of a stretch.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
kerry red

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 18:18:34 »

Anyone have the faintest idea -  (ideal for any City fans looking in) - what amount the site would be sold for?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 18:59:31 »

Redevelopment is a pipe dream. Even the seemingly competant board of Fitton and Co couldnt get it right and they had decent financial backing.

The best route for us is to take a look at buliding a new stand much like Posh. Even Torquay managed it. We could do it for the bank and Town End. I think there is some sort of financing body in football for new stands which has been used by a few clubs.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 19:06:13 »

Redevelopment is a pipe dream. Even the seemingly competant board of Fitton and Co couldnt get it right and they had decent financial backing.

The best route for us is to take a look at buliding a new stand much like Posh. Even Torquay managed it. We could do it for the bank and Town End. I think there is some sort of financing body in football for new stands which has been used by a few clubs.

So many other clubs have managed it.  I've never quite got my head around why it seems to be uniquely difficult in Swindon.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 19:12:41 »

lease is up soon innit?

Lease is already up over 18 months ago.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 19:22:56 »

So many other clubs have managed it.  I've never quite got my head around why it seems to be uniquely difficult in Swindon.
In no particular order.....

We have always been fairly skint. Even to get to a planning application likely to be £100k plus in professional fees.
Lease term never been long enough to make bank finance that great or easy an option.
Covenant issue never really seems to have been bottomed put.
Simple fact we rarely look like filling the capacity we have now - I know this isn't a key issue as 24-7-365 revenue is the real golden goose.
Council don't seem interested.
Not sure anyone ever come up with a viable business plan.
Swindon itself seems to be lacking any strategic plan.

Etc etc
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 21:24:29 »

[quote author=Reg Smeeton link=topic=55353.msg1298092#msg1298092 date=1416313

I'll quite happily settle for what we've got, but stick some sort of roof and build some inside bogs on the Bank. Shouldn't cost a fortune....get some name sponsors, some fan's fundraising, club could chip in an agreed % from a player sale etc.
[/quote]

Bristol Rovers and Portsmouth did exactly that with their open terraces. I think Rovers and Bristol Rugby fans raised monies themselves for around £100k. The actual Stratton Bank terracing was rebuilt in 1988/89 so should be good for another few years. We had a capacity of nearly 19k for West Ham in 1989 just a few months before Hillsborough and then everything changed
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 21:44:39 »

Re:the Trust......they are indeed working on a plan with the club to put a roof on the Bank and to refurbish the 'facilities'.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: