Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Building and construction Question  (Read 1943 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 10:30:38 »

To all the TEF brickies etc.

I may be looking at extending a garden wall over a tarmac driveway, it will be approx 7ft high and 8ft in length and approx 10 inches in depth. What do I need to do regarding foundations etc, do I need to dig down a foot or so and concrete or can I lay the stones straight on top of the tarmac? I'd imagine the tarmac will have to come up, can I do this with a bit of blood and sweat or am I gonna need to get a road drill?  Smiley

Ta x
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 11:07:14 »

I think if the wall is over 6ft you need planning permission.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 11:49:46 »

You would need planning at that height & you would need to put footings down otherwise you could end up with the wall falling over.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 12:01:47 »

Ok. What if I make it six feet high? Will I get tarmac up with a heavy metal spike/bar?
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 12:06:48 »

Depends on whether it was laid properly or by pikeys, if it was done properly then it should be quite difficult if it was put down by pikeys you should be able to lift it from one corner.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 12:15:21 »

Bollocks, it looks like I'll have to get planning anyway - I would be adding and not replacing a wall.  Sad

Planning questions  Smiley

Does it take long to process?
Does it cost anything?
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 14:47:03 »

Bollocks, it looks like I'll have to get planning anyway - I would be adding and not replacing a wall.  Sad

Planning questions  Smiley

Does it take long to process?
Does it cost anything?

Normally the answer is 'Yes and Yes' but it depends on where your house is and whether you are replacing a fence with a wall or building a wall where no other physical boundary previously existed... If its the latter you could have a battle on your hands especially if the area is demed 'open plan' like Covingham.
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 18:42:17 »

The easiest thing to do is to pop into the council office opposite the train station & talk to the planning office they will tell you what you need & if you will need it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: