Pages: 1 ... 795 796 797 [798] 799 800 801 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2043412 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11955 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 13:58:20 »

I'm not sure a vague promise of a possible tax cut in 2 years time is going to help too many people, especially when you see what the OBR/ONS are saying...

Sadly I fear a lot of the population are gouing to be royally fucked in the next 12 months.  No

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11956 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 14:00:00 »

Blessedly quiet in here for a while, thought I'd ruin that.

Spring statement today, headlines being 5p off fuel duty (what are the chances of that actually being reflected at the pump?) and raising the NI threshold to match the income tax one.

Seems to be good news for people earning low but liveable wages, but not much in the way of support for anyone who isn't working. Bearing in mind the NI rate is going up too, apparently this means less NI for anyone on under £35k or so. Presumably also helps anyone earning above the NI upper earnings limit, as I don't think he raised that at the same time.

Are you talking about the net effect of the 1.25% NI increase and the raising of the lower threshold?

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #11957 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 14:02:32 »

Are you talking about the net effect of the 1.25% NI increase and the raising of the lower threshold?

Yes.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #11958 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 14:08:13 »

Property market crash?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11959 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 14:09:47 »

Everyone benefits then, thought he would have pushed £3k up on the upper limit, but hey ho.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #11960 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 14:13:35 »

The local election results in May will deliver a half term report of sorts I guess.

The heating will be going off at the end of the month regardless of temperature.
Lucky to have been working from home these last few years with minimal car use.
Everyone on average income or below will have to tighten the purse strings with the squeeze on disposable income.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #11961 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 14:24:57 »

Property market crash?
Possibly. Given house price growth many people who have bought recently will have pushed themselves to the limit. Doubling and potentially trebling of gas and electricity is going to really Hurst allied to petrol, inflation and ni increase and interest rates increasing I can see a lot of people struggling. It's a bit of a shitstorm.
It's one thing being able to afford a house another keeping it.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #11962 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 16:12:24 »

I think for a while now the writing has been on the wall regarding things getting tighter for people (granted I don't think many could have see just how grim it would become)
Not quite sure how the 'must have it now, living life on credit' generation will cope - going to be a lot of crying videos on social media (providing they can pay the internet bills that it)

I come from a land down-under
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11963 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 17:29:19 »

5p off fuel is a bit tight.

Given it can go up that much in the space of a day or two its pretty pointless. £2.50-3 for your average tank isn't going to address the issue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11964 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 17:30:15 »

going to be a lot of crying videos on social media (providing they can pay the internet bills that it)

And some that will genuinely have to choose between heat and food.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #11965 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 17:45:20 »

And some that will genuinely have to choose between heat and food.

But having the latest iPhone will still be priority for some!

So, give no fucks
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #11966 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 19:45:28 »

But having the latest iPhone will still be priority for some!

Spoken like a true Daily Mail reader.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #11967 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2022, 20:01:16 »

Spoken like a true Daily Mail reader.

Not at all just my own observations😀

So, give no fucks
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #11968 on: Thursday, March 24, 2022, 01:15:40 »

I'm not sure a vague promise of a possible tax cut in 2 years time is going to help too many people, especially when you see what the OBR/ONS are saying...

Sadly I fear a lot of the population are gouing to be royally fucked in the next 12 months.  No

We have been walking a knife edge for a long time.  A lot of households have been riding a debt carousel  for years with crazy amounts of credit and lenders have been trying to find news ways to keep them ‘afloat’ with the latest thing being ‘buy now pay later’.

We’re now heading for the perfect storm where unsecured credit lenders will sit below a choice of paying a mortgage, paying for food, paying heating, paying for fuel to get to work and a rising rate of inflation and interest rates.

No-one will come out of this unscathed because even if you don’t have any credit or unsecured debt, the others will still bite.  

Will we see a property crash like the 89/90?  I think that depends.  89/90 was fuelled by a lot of people trying to move up the property ladder and selling their houses at the same time as an influx of people being unable to pay their mortgage due to rising inflation and interest rates and all trying to sell at the same time with a net result that the market became flooded and prices dropped like a stone.

The key difference between now and then is that there are a lot more properties owned by investors in buy to let who are less likely to panic sell BUT as an investor they are not going to rent at a loss (if the cost of the mortgage is more than the rent they receive) nor put up with a tenant who can’t pay their rent. Plus, it’s difficult to get back on the property ladder once you’re off it.

Right now I have a lot of ‘luxury’ direct debits that I am earmarking for belt tightening… sky, Netflix, Prime etc that I need to start prioritising because I simply can’t justify those over paying for the necessities. But even by removing all of those, I still don’t save enough to cover the cost of living increases we have endured in the last 12 months so I dread to think what households who are living ‘hand to mouth’ are currently doing to survive.

We joke about people prioritising the latest iPhone over buying food but, for a generation or more, people have had a constant line of credit that fuels the behaviour. By that I mean that I can be in the wierd position that I have no cash to do a weekly £50 shop and yet can walk into a phone shop and by a £1,200 phone for £75 a month with very little consideration by the lender as to whether I can afford it.

In short, the credit bubble is about to burst which will mean more people will need to save up to buy things at a time when they have no money to even pay their bills and people may see their property equity as a means to survive and either remortgage or, cash out by selling and moving back to rented in the hope the market does crash and rejoin when prices have dropped but that’s a massive risk in its own right...

« Last Edit: Thursday, March 24, 2022, 01:29:19 by @MacPhlea » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #11969 on: Thursday, March 24, 2022, 03:05:29 »

Buy to let investors have been squeezed by the government. This, allied to the prospect of many tenants defaulting on their loans, may see a flood of houses dumped on the market.

‘On the other hand, a third of homes are now owned by investors rather than owner-occupiers – and the regulatory and taxation environment for them is becoming increasingly hostile. George Osborne began to discourage buy-to-let investment with a three percent surcharge for properties bought as anything other than a main home. Since then, the government has withdrawn tax advantages and piled on costs for investors. Now, landlords are steadily being forced to upgrade the Energy Performance Rating of their properties before being allowed to let them – which could land investors with bills of tens of thousands of pounds in the worst cases. So, might investors be inclined to get out of property, dumping huge numbers of homes on the market?’
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 797 [798] 799 800 801 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: