Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Staunton  (Read 3423 times)
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:05:59 »

Has anyone else heard that?
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:07:39 »

i think he has a forum bitch who reads shit like this and thats why he can't make a decision on who the next man at the helm should be...lets get our fav local rag, the adver to do a poll and whoever wins the poll, gets the job...simple as no?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #17 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:09:00 »

i think he has a forum bitch who reads shit like this and thats why he can't make a decision on who the next man at the helm should be...lets get our fav local rag, the adver to do a poll and whoever wins the poll, gets the job...simple as no?

Just do a poll on here. In fact I'll make it. As far as I can tell all of the potential candidates are called Andy King.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:11:43 »

He just needs to do what he thinks is right, we're never gonna agree on anyone on here!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:14:23 »

That's not a very nice thing to call Marie...so no to Staunton thanks.

Love Reg x
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:17:05 »

I can't understand why Fitton would suddenly start talking names when he's kept so quiet for the past 5 weeks.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #21 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:17:53 »

Why not? Has anyone not been mentioned? Might aswell change his tactic Smiley
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #22 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 21:31:47 »

I can't understand why Fitton would suddenly start talking names when he's kept so quiet for the past 5 weeks.

Not sure, perhaps just saying what names are now available. I would assume that Wilson would get the job but it's almost as if Gary Mac who wasn't all that at Leeds, because he has worked at a big club all of a sudden is a shit hot manager.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #23 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 21:38:57 »

McAllister won half of his games and had one truly poor spell, which he got sacked for.

He's not the most sensible appointment but we could do alot worse.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 22, 2008, 21:44:13 by Rich Pullen » Logged
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 21:43:24 »

Stan was, unfortunately, dismal in charge of the Irish national team.  He was an immense player, but rabbit in the headlights job when it came to the serious stuff.  No thanks.

Incidentally, Staunton's predecessor, Brian Kerr who was a more moderate failure with Ireland, would tick many of AFs boxes.  Proper coach, unprecedented success in developing youth and can speak in actual sentences.  A more credible version of MM, if you will.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 21:45:11 »

Not too keen on Staunton. Apparently he was the brains behind Leeds' amazing defence that leaked goals from set-pieces etc. Sounds familiar.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 09:38:36 »

I don't know that much about Staunton record with Ireland bar Barry Glendenning of The Guardian laying into him pretty much ever chance he got.

And so did plenty of others particularly after the brilliant 2-1 win over San Marino when the Irish ended up bundling in a injury time winner.

"Jesus wept," wrote Tom Humphries, not quite knowing else to begin his survey of the carnage in the Irish Times. "Ireland's ineptitude defied description. The Irish manager seemed content, though, that 'we had four chances after they scored. That showed tremendous spirit'."

That and his record of working with Merson and Walsaw. And being so dumb in interviews that he used to send poor old confused Bobby Robson out to do the press conferences.

And of course you can't trust a man who thinks that Stan is short for Steve.

Hockaday I can understand, if he can do it as a manager, he surely would be incredible, but that seems to be the hardest part.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 09:46:08 »

Stan was, unfortunately, dismal in charge of the Irish national team.  He was an immense player, but rabbit in the headlights job when it came to the serious stuff.  No thanks.

Incidentally, Staunton's predecessor, Brian Kerr who was a more moderate failure with Ireland, would tick many of AFs boxes.  Proper coach, unprecedented success in developing youth and can speak in actual sentences.  A more credible version of MM, if you will.

I was thinking about Brian Kerr the other day funnily enough.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 10:12:32 »

jebus christ,   not staunton
land_of_bo

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 14:45:55 »

I popped out at lunchtime (in Bath) and as I queued at a cash point a woman walked past she said "Steve Staun'on!?" (She dropped her "T", must be from Swindon) and her fella said "Yep"...

Random but true.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: