Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Alex Revell on loan????  (Read 16487 times)
DUNSWORTHY

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 08:30:04 »

Rumours from the papers in southend seem to indicate that striker Alex Revell is set for a loan move to us with view to a perm deal?Huh?

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/theblues/4573745.Revell_closing_in_on_loan_switch_to_Swindon/?ref=rss

he looked ok on saturday but didn't set the world on fire, and had problems with injurys.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 08:37:42 »

Not sure what to make of that - he's hardly been prolific has he? They seem gutted that he's leaving so he must have some good qualities, I'm just worried we might be signing another player in the Billy Paynter mould
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 08:50:27 »

adver have obviously read your post

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/4573951.Town_to_sign_striker_Revell_on_loan/

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 08:57:03 »

Not sure what to make of that - he's hardly been prolific has he? They seem gutted that he's leaving so he must have some good qualities, I'm just worried we might be signing another player in the Billy Paynter mould

Exatly what I was thinking, if we are going to sign someone that is proven that at least sign someone with a decent goal scoring record, why all these loans though surely it would be better to sign someone permanent to leave a few of the loan spaces available in case of injuries and the need to strengthen
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 09:03:03 »

The old damned if you do scenario, Not many people willing to sell, and if we'd got to 5pm with nothing, everyone would be saying we should have got a loan. At least this gives us some breathing space. FWIW i reckon this might be a smart move. Get BP and Revell causing mayhem up top, and use the pace we have in the team to run through. Not many teams are going to like playing us, it's all good i tell thee.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 09:16:02 »

The old damned if you do scenario, Not many people willing to sell, and if we'd got to 5pm with nothing, everyone would be saying we should have got a loan. At least this gives us some breathing space. FWIW i reckon this might be a smart move. Get BP and Revell causing mayhem up top, and use the pace we have in the team to run through. Not many teams are going to like playing us, it's all good i tell thee.

I think what's taken people by surprise is the type of striker that we've gone for in Revell.Most of us expected a pacy
striker who would offer something different, to what we already have.You must admit with the mentality of lower league
players, the hoof ball will be seen as an easy option to Paynter and Revell.At least he's very hard working and has a
good attitude by all accounts.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 09:39:46 »

Exatly what I was thinking, if we are going to sign someone that is proven that at least sign someone with a decent goal scoring record
Like Parkin at Northampton/Wycombe before we signed him?

I'm with sutton, but the area I do have some concern about this deal - I don't know if I could stand the Adver headlines about "Revelling in it" "Let the Revells begin" etc etc
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 10:02:52 »

I don't know if this was a specific response to something I or somebody else said, or a general statement, but either way I think I should point out I wasn't complaining. I do trust Wilson in his signings as he's done well so far. If we went with 2 up front then Paynter and Revell would work defenders into the ground and allow our midfielders to get forward, and if we stick with a lone striker then Revell could do that job as a back up for Paynter.

Hopefully this will all work out nicely and we'll end up getting him in permanently. I didn't realise Southend were in such a financial mess, but it's certainly nice to finally be the club taking advantage of others' misfortunes
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 10:05:56 »

Just a general comment, my glass is 9/10th's full at the moment!
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 10:35:59 »

Just a general comment, my glass is 9/10th's full at the moment!

With a statement like that,Pets must be giving you a very easy time!

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 10:40:56 »

He's been a bit quiet recently, I get the feeling he may have accidentally banned himself, or he's spending all day on ebay looking for jackboots and a golden throne. Suppose i'd better check really.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 10:42:07 »

Presumably so Paynter doesn't have to play every game and we seem quite well set-up with the 4-3-2-1 we are using right now.  Don't forget we also have 2 other strikers who are very different to these two - if not universally liked!  I certainly see this as an options signing and would not be suprised to see the starting eleven from Saturday being our first choice team in coming months.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 11:05:48 »

Like Parkin at Northampton/Wycombe before we signed him?

Yes, the Sam Parkin who had scored 4 goals in 7 games for Millwall on loan. and 3 goals in 7 games on loan at Oldham.

I'll admit I've not seen much of Revell dont think he even touched the ball saturday.

Not convinced with him just yet but I'll give him a chance. I know is all huge ifs and buts and all that crap but I think i'd still rather have Barry Corr than the strikers we've bought in.
PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 11:14:34 »

Yes, the Sam Parkin who had scored 4 goals in 7 games for Millwall on loan. and 3 goals in 7 games on loan at Oldham.

I'll admit I've not seen much of Revell dont think he even touched the ball saturday.

Not convinced with him just yet but I'll give him a chance. I know is all huge ifs and buts and all that crap but I think i'd still rather have Barry Corr than the strikers we've bought in.

But Corr was fragile......I'd rather have a player who could play more than 5 minutes a game.

Revell seems a bit of a strange signing if it does indeed go ahead. Saying that, i thought he did fairly well against us on Saturday.

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 11:20:48 »

i asked brighton fans what revell was like for them these were the responses:

Technically not the best player, but he will run solidly and chase every ball for 90 minutes. He certainly cannot be faulted for his workrate.

runs around alot

not much else you can say really

If you like a genuine trier you will love Revell. He will make a few and score a few without being anything like prolific. Just an honest old fashioned footballer who gives everything every game

As already said he is a trier. Not a goal scorer really, but could be a good partner to an out and out goalscorer. Good in the air, average on the deck, but runs and runs. Not a bad acquisition, but doubt he will change your season.

Do you go to the gym? If so, think about the instructors. You know, the guys who stand around not doing a lot, but due to the practise they obviously get on the machines have rock hard bodies and look like they could run for three days without stopping. Now imagine putting one of them on a football pitch.....

I think he could do alright along side Paynter. He is tall and skinny with little strength. He is quite mobile and works his knackers off every game. He is quite good in the air and is at his best running the channels.

He is no replacement for Cox and he is no cover for Paynter. He could, however, be a 10 goal a season man alongside Paynter and do all Paynter's running for him. Not sure that the pair of them would score enough goals together.

He was a real marmite player on here - the fans either loved him or hated him.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: