Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The not STFC Transfer Rumours thread  (Read 42883 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 10:34:59 »

Like Vigs. Burnley are paying Man City £15m for their keeper James Trafford.
DMC

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 10:40:33 »

Not even covering up their money laundering now. £19m for a lad whos never played higher than league 1 is a joke
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 10:46:54 »

Not even covering up their money laundering now. £19m for a lad whos never played higher than league 1 is a joke

Who is money laundering, is there some sort of back door arrangement between Burnley and Citeh ala what is being alleged between Chelsea and the Saudi's?

I see he originally came through at Carlisle so hopefully some of the money may filter down from there, hadn't noticed that he was a knob in gob lad.

What with Scott Carson West Cumbria is becoming quote the breeding ground for these keepers.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 10:53:39 »

Trafford has yet to concede a goal for the England Under 21s in their Euro Championships.

The fee does seem high but if he hits his potential and he becomes England's next international keeper for years ahead, he could probably go to a big club for £50 million+.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 12:55:58 »

You could look at it 2 ways in that the standard of lower league keepers is likely to get worse, or that more opportunities will be available for goalkeepers that otherwise wouldn't have made it.

Alternatively our approach of having youth keepers on loan could become more of the norm

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 14:35:31 »

Like Vigs. Burnley are paying Man City £15m for their keeper James Trafford.

That will make Vigs 3rd in line surely, as they still have their keeper from last season who was auto 1st choice, surprised me he has gone to make up the numbers for ££$$, shows sadly some players think of the money rather than wanting to continue playing.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 14:45:00 »

That will make Vigs 3rd in line surely, as they still have their keeper from last season who was auto 1st choice, surprised me he has gone to make up the numbers for ££$$, shows sadly some players think of the money rather than wanting to continue playing.

He’s spoken on podcasts etc about his family and tbh even for a 3rd choice keeper, the salary bump (plus a longer contract) at a Prem team will likely dwarf a League One/Two wage. He’s coming up to 30 now so this is probably an opportunity to earn some good cash for his family and future that is too good to turn down. There’s always the chance he can see out his contract there, training at top facilities and being part of a high quality squad and then drop back down to a championship/League One club afterwards.

I’d do it if I was in his shoes without a 2nd thought.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 14:47:07 by UTR » Logged
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 14:48:39 »

I was thinking about it earlier and trying to do some rudimentary maths to help weigh up what I would do in that situation. The figures I'm using are totally made up of course but, let's imagine he was on 2k per week at Orient, that's a salary of £104,000. A very generous salary, of course. Orient offer him 3k per week as a new contract to take his salary to £156,000. A generous offer and a nice pay-rise. London living isn't cheap of course so that should help pay the bills.

Burnley come in and at a very conservative estimate offer him 5k per week (it may be nearer 10k, i've no idea really), a salary of £260,000 (or £520,000 for 10 years) over 3 years. Yes he won't play any football, but he'll be in a much better position to set himself and his family up for a long time. Not forgetting he could probably get himself a very decent house in Burnley for about a year's salary Smiley

So he gets handsomely compensated for 3 years and will still be 32 at the end of it so has the opportunity to play more football after Burnley. I think it's a bit of a no-brainer really.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 14:50:11 »

I think third choice keeper might be the best gig in football. It's basically a pathway into coaching, you get well paid, don't have to do all that much that's stressful and if you really get lucky, there might be an injury crisis and you're playing Chelsea. Plus the cachet of getting to call yourself a Premier League footballer.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 14:53:00 »

He’s spoken on podcasts etc about his family and tbh even for a 3rd choice keeper, the salary bump (plus a longer contract) at a Prem team will likely dwarf a League One/Two wage. He’s coming up to 30 now so this is probably an opportunity to earn some good cash for his family and future that is too good to turn down. There’s always the chance he can see out his contract there, training at top facilities and being part of a high quality squad and then drop back down to a championship/League One club afterwards.

I’d do it if I was in his shoes without a 2nd thought.

Can entirely understand why he is doing it, but including Vigs they already have 4 keepers on their books before the guy rolls up from City, so possibly even 4th or 3th choice, especially as a couple of the others will also fit the homegrown trigger as well.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 14:56:32 »

a salary of £260,000 (or £520,000 for 10 years) over 3 years. Yes he won't play any football, but he'll be in a much better position to set himself and his family up for a long time. Not forgetting he could probably get himself a very decent house in Burnley for about a year's salary Smiley

Take the 'grim up north' blinkers off for a minute,  Wink no footballer in their right mind would live in Burnley, but out into the Ribble Valley and you ain't getting noting for £260k, possibly 4x's that at least! Seriously though, its where the professional rich from Manchester live.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 14:56:43 »

He may end up getting loaned out.

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 14:59:53 »

Take the 'grim up north' blinkers off for a minute,  Wink no footballer in their right mind would live in Burnley, but out into the Ribble Valley and you ain't getting noting for £260k, possibly 4x's that at least! Seriously though, its where the professional rich from Manchester live.

oh yeah, I mean the countryside up there is stunning so i'm pretty sure he'll be in a nice area. But what he'll be able to get for a million quid there, versus what he could get for the same money in London is chalk and cheese.

Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 15:08:02 »

If i was 30 years old, have had a decent career in the EFL earning a couple of grand a week but playing every week, and then somebody came along and offered me £10k (it's probably more) on a 3 year contract to train hard and be guaranteed the best seat in the house and be in and around Premier league squads on a match day - with the knowledge that after 3 years I will likely be able to continue my EFL career on wind down due to me being a "Premier League" player?  I would take it..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, July 4, 2023, 15:11:15 »

Obviously completely makes sense from Vigs point of view, no judgement there.

I do think football in general needs to look at this though. Its the latest example of the top clubs essentially hoarding talent. Clubs lower down the pyramid will have on average poorer standard keepers now.

Then you get the very best clubs complain about the lack of competitiveness of PL2 and wanting to put their B teams in the football league.

The best thing the people at the top of football can do, in my opinion, is to limit the number of registered players a club can have, both senior and junior. It will never get implemented as its not in the top clubs interest.

But smaller squads at the top, means more talent for lower league teams. Its also means more players who develop later essentially will need to be bought from within football pyramid, increasing clubs finances further down the leagues. It will help all clubs develop training and development facilities. It will stop all youth players being hoovered up by the top clubs, more will play for their local teams. Its so simple.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: