Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Perth Glory  (Read 889 times)
yeo

Ignore
« on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 04:00:55 »

This is probably common knowledge but hey...

They like a Swindon link

Head Coach

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/robus1971/00000532_Image.jpg

Joined Perth Glory as an Assistant Coach just prior to the 2006/07 season and was elevated to the top job after round 11 of the 2007/08 season.

Born in Scotland, David Mitchell started his football career with local club Enfield before joining Adelaide City in 1980 as a striker-winger in the National League before switching to Sydney City in 1983 for two seasons.

Mitchell played a total of 108 national league matches scoring 33 goals and in 1981 was named NSL Under 21 Player of the Year.

He became a modern-day pioneer for Australians in Europe, representing several high-profile clubs including Glasgow Rangers, Eintracht Frankfurt, Feyenoord, Chelsea and Newcastle United. He also played for Millwall and Swindon Town (England), Altay Izmir (Turkey), Seiko (Hong Kong) and Selangor (Malaysia).

Mitchell was the first Australian to play in the Scottish Premier League, German Bundesliga and the Dutch Premier League. Mitchell was also the first Socceroo to score in a European club competition.

Mitchell represented Australia at the 1981 FlFA World Youth Championship in Australia and the 1988 Olympics in Seoul. His Socceroo career lasted 12 years after debuting as an 18-year-old in 1981. He went on to represent Australia on a total 44 occasions scoring 15 goals, including 29 full internationals for 11 goals.

He was the first Australian to play in four senior World Cup campaigns (1982-1994) and his insistence on playing for his country cost him club positions in Europe as he only joined clubs which would grant him clearance to play for Australia.

As a coach, Mitchell managed Sydney Olympic & Sydney United while also playing for the club and was Parramatta Power’s inaugural coach. He won the Coach of the Year award in 1998/99 after taking to Sydney United to the premiership (top of the league) and a Grand Final appearance.

His senior coaching career in the former NSL spanned six seasons and 154 matches, with 68 wins, 31 draws and 55 losses.

His outstanding contribution to football in this country was recognised when he was inducted into the ‘Hall of Champions’ in the Australian Football Hall of Fame (2006).

I hereby vote Perth Glory as the TEF's official Aussie team
 Cool

/
W56196272
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 05:52:07 »

God he's aged alot.
magic8ball

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 09:54:20 »

Dave Mitchell is a legend.

And a bearded one at that.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 10:42:49 »

Remember arriving in Sydney many moons ago and putting SBS on (the channel that has the football), was watching Syndey Untited beat someone...not really paying that much attention...was tired, unpacking my suitcase...and I heard a familiar voice...twas indeed David Mitchell.

If I am right he lead Sydney to the title despite having no cash at all to spend on players (I may be wrong, it has happened).

Perth Glory for me, cobbers...

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 11:22:49 »

always been my aussie team, got family in perth....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: