Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 57   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is The Recession Affecting You?  (Read 80496 times)
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #495 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 00:03:53 »

As someone who only has experience in Construction(7 years ago) and the mortgage industry i am struggling to find any work at all. Fucking depressing
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 00:21:09 »

I'm having the experience problem as well, DRS. My current job is only a five hour contract (hardly worth the petrol to get there!), and there is no chance of me getting anything near full-time hours regularly. Been applying for loads of jobs (I reckon about 25ish since I finished uni 5/6 weeks ago) and got one interview. No experience, they won't touch me with a barge pole. I may be able to get a transfer in my current job though, which would be better than nothing at least.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 01:39:11 »

I think those of us who are in jobs are also getting hammered (not for good reason in some cases - firms are taking advantage). I have paid for my pension and even so can still get it taken away so it's not so gold plated as it may seem - in my mind a contract is a contract not something that can be altered every fucking month.
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 02:27:39 »

As someone who only has experience in Construction(7 years ago) and the mortgage industry i am struggling to find any work at all. Fucking depressing
I was in catering management, 20 years ago, & am now a mortgage broker. Looking for a job as mortgages just ain't happening at present.

From the Dark Side
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #499 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 07:09:45 »

I took John's comments with a pinch of salt in all honesty, even though I am unemployed myself.

Its typical TEF stuff really.

I certainly am not pissed about it, to me its just another form of piss take, and that is why we love this place.

However I do understand if not everyone shares my views

Word.

Everyone else, apologies.
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 07:38:59 »

I'm having the experience problem as well, DRS. My current job is only a five hour contract (hardly worth the petrol to get there!), and there is no chance of me getting anything near full-time hours regularly. Been applying for loads of jobs (I reckon about 25ish since I finished uni 5/6 weeks ago) and got one interview. No experience, they won't touch me with a barge pole. I may be able to get a transfer in my current job though, which would be better than nothing at least.

To be fair 25 in 6 weeks is not a lot (only 5 a week), you need to blitz it.  Try spec'ing your CV into companies as well just put a covering letter with what type of work your looking for and what your good at. The more people you get the CV out to the better.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 07:46:37 »

Try spec'ing your CV into companies as well just put a covering letter with what type of work your looking for and what your good at. The more people you get the CV out to the better.

You'll be surprised at how many companies no longer entertain speculative CV's. They just get binned.
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 07:55:21 »

You'll be surprised at how many companies no longer entertain speculative CV's. They just get binned.

You would also be surprised how succesful it is, I work in recruitment and we are finding it still has big success even in these challenging times.  People need to get there name out to companies and try to do different things when trying to find a job.  I am sure most people would find it hard applying for a job with another 40 candidates.

A well written summary of your experience and skills a long with your CV sent to a company will get a response of some sort. If you send it to 50 companies and 49 get binned and 1 wants to interview you then that is worth it alone.

Other things that are showing success are offering to work for free for a day or 2 to prove yourself, companies are generally impressed by that.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 08:10:36 »

clubland is getting harder and harder, fridays are pretty much a right off nowadays, saturday nights is the only night holding its own.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 08:16:44 »

If sucking up means being fucking fantastic at my job, then yes I'm a brown-noser. All this jealously is so ugly. Live and let live kids.

Hehe. Got one. I know the good old civil service bonus scheme well. Actually to call it a bonus scheme in this day and age is a bit dodgy as it seems to get people's backs up, but it is the result of a very poorly negotiated pay deal from about 8 years ago. Its utter bollocks and nobody likes it, and IMHO you have to be very mercenary to get the Enhanced and Super Enhanced bonuses, hence my somewhat tongue in cheek comment. I was going to ask if I'd need to wear sunglasses to walk behind you, but forgot.....

(And yes I'm bitter, I'm good at my job too (IMO), achieved well over and above my objectives, project tracking ahead of schedule, but only got a Standard Bonus. Boo.)

I feel for everyone out in the big wide world right now who is struggling for work. You have my sympathies, but I'm certain the world will take a turn for the better idc. Chin up lads and lasses and keep plugging away.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #505 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 08:19:34 »

Bastard! I've never been fished before Sad
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #506 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 08:24:23 »

Bastard! I've never been fisted before Sad
Lying cunt
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 08:25:45 »

Sorry to hear of those of you who've been made redundant.

The 2 main companies I work for in live music are also struggling.  Its all gone safety first.  The busy periods are still busy (october - december, march - may) but the quiet times are now ridiculously quiet.

Ive taken on a second job cheffing to make sure some moneys coming through, but peveresly Im likely to be turning round to one of the companies and turning down their work.

Since the turn of the year Ive had 88 days work in my main job, only 9 from one of these companies when last year Id had 32 in the same period, I cant balance it anymore and justify it that I owe loyalty to both companies, so Im going to have to throw all the eggs in one basket.  

At the same time Im taking on any work I can get from odd companies who are only going to give me 10 days work a year but it'll be at times when Im not needed by the main company.

Its a lot of hustling and to be honest its doing my head in trying to make sure I can support the family.

It's a weird world freelancing.

Never knowingly overstated.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 08:26:18 »

I took John's comments with a pinch of salt in all honesty, even though I am unemployed myself.

Its typical TEF stuff really.

I certainly am not pissed about it, to me its just another form of piss take, and that is why we love this place.

However I do understand if not everyone shares my views

Ditto........Why should i be bitter about another persons better fortune?  That would be petty!

I will bounce back!!   and so will Fred!

Its just banter... Cheesy

Clems Army!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 08:38:39 »

You would also be surprised how succesful it is...

...If you send it to 50 companies and 49 get binned and 1 wants to interview you then that is worth it alone.

One in 50 suggests to me it's not very succesful. At least if you applied for 50 jobs you'd probably get at least 5 interviews.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 57   Go Up
Print
Jump to: