Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 57   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is The Recession Affecting You?  (Read 80514 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #255 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 12:47:02 »

News just in, I'm being seconded out for six months, possibly to Essex.

I might as well ask for my P45 now. Cunts.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 12:48:16 »

fuck that Si
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 12:52:13 »

Sounds like they're trying to give you a gentle shove out of the door without actually making you redundant Si. It's a fucker. Don't let them have it easy though if they're being cunts about it.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 12:54:14 by Samdy Gray » Logged
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 12:56:02 »

Thats crap mate - is that your only option?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 12:56:38 »

Do they cover accommodation costs, etc, Si?

i.e. can you afford to continue to work for them whilst trying to find something else.

---
Good luck with the job hunt jonbd, fingers crossed for everyone else.
--
I know Jan won't appreciate scaremongering ( Smiley ), but seeing how many people could potentially be affected just on this forum makes things seem a) for more real and b) far worse than anything I can remember.

All together now, Always look on the bright side of life...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 12:58:21 »

As far as I know, Asda are not recruiting or planning to recuit in Swindon for the foreseable, their jobs are for new stores around the UK.  Might be worth keeping an eye out for Primark and Peacocks for your future shelf stacking needs.  I think I'm safe, although technically at risk since Tuesday.  Would get enough to survive for 5 months before trouble would kick in, which would probably be around October time.
spacey

« Reply #261 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 12:59:20 »

Not likely to hear anything more for a good 6 months or so yet. It's been hinted that the selection pool will be based on KPI's so it's just time to get my head down and work hard for the next few months.

Either way I'm not really fussed, I've got a pretty open outlook on life at the moment. If the worst happens I'd get a reasonable package which would see me through a few months. As long as I can pay my mortgage each month then I'm happy. If that means I end up stacking shelves in Asda for a while then so be it.
It fucks me off! How is it that these companies are reporting record performance for 2008 and then threatening redundancies in 2009? If they used some of their enormous profits to safeguard against this sort of shit instead of tossing it up their shareholders backsides, then we'd be okay. It's all just an excuse to sack people off and increase everyone elses workload, while they still spend the profits on Fois gras and shiny loafers. It just another example of the bourgeoisie using the blood of the workers to oil the wheels of capitalism.

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 13:05:13 »

Great point Spacey, let's nationalise everything!

It's All Good..............
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 13:14:58 »

Indeed.  then we can all have a job for life doing fuck all with the best pension around.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 13:24:09 »

Not really as serious as other examples in this thread, but my supposed work placement for next year looks non-existant, hoping it wont fuck up my degree

Things get better but they never get good
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 13:27:49 »

It fucks me off! How is it that these companies are reporting record performance for 2008 and then threatening redundancies in 2009? If they used some of their enormous profits to safeguard against this sort of shit instead of tossing it up their shareholders backsides, then we'd be okay. It's all just an excuse to sack people off and increase everyone elses workload, while they still spend the profits on Fois gras and shiny loafers. It just another example of the bourgeoisie using the blood of the workers to oil the wheels of capitalism.

It was obvious that over the course of the ten year outsource agreement that they'd have to reduce costs because of the decreasing nature of the contract. Being cynical, I'd say they've used the current economic climate to their convenience and made it look like they have no choice but to reduce the headcount. It just makes it easier to do it now rather than try and force people out when everything gets off-shored.

All the outsource agreements they've entered into are signed up on fixed term contracts with the financials all agreed up front. They've made up bullshit excuses that new business levels are down etc. The fact is they're only down 10% on this time last year but they're planning on reducing the workforce by 20%. It stinks.
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 13:28:19 »

It's all affecting me because my other half was made redundant and has gone into meltdown.  Has only been as far as the shop to get fags for weeks.  Lives in his little shell and all he seems to do is sleep.  Wake up when I've cooked, eat, the go to sleep again.  I can't get him to update his cv or apply for any jobs, he thinks he'd be better off dead.  Fucking great. I spend most of my time on my own - miles away from all my friends and family with only myself to try and get us through this.  Only thing is it's not enough.  I'm not enough.  We have nobody to help us.  Oh well.  
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 13:37:42 »

It's all affecting me because my other half was made redundant and has gone into meltdown.  Has only been as far as the shop to get fags for weeks.  Lives in his little shell and all he seems to do is sleep.  Wake up when I've cooked, eat, the go to sleep again.  I can't get him to update his cv or apply for any jobs, he thinks he'd be better off dead.  Fucking great. I spend most of my time on my own - miles away from all my friends and family with only myself to try and get us through this.  Only thing is it's not enough.  I'm not enough.  We have nobody to help us.  Oh well.  

I don't know how to reply to that in a helpful way. Giving sympathy isn't going to help you.

I guess people react to things differently, and it's important to know it's not your fault, or anyones fault really. I wonder if there is professional help available because it sounds like Sussex is clinically depressed and sometimes telling someone to  "snap out of it" isn't enough.

Hope that doesn't come across too wanky.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 13:42:49 »

It might not apply everywhere, but i'm pretty sure you can refuse to relocate an 'unreasonable' distance, and the only way to then get rid is redundancy. Don't quote me on that, but it's one of the things we've been made aware of for our transition... if they try to make us relocate to their head office somewhere around Hatfield, and we don't want to go, out we go (but with payoff).

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
spacey

« Reply #269 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 13:44:32 »

It was obvious that over the course of the ten year outsource agreement that they'd have to reduce costs because of the decreasing nature of the contract. Being cynical, I'd say they've used the current economic climate to their convenience and made it look like they have no choice but to reduce the headcount. It just makes it easier to do it now rather than try and force people out when everything gets off-shored.

All the outsource agreements they've entered into are signed up on fixed term contracts with the financials all agreed up front. They've made up bullshit excuses that new business levels are down etc. The fact is they're only down 10% on this time last year but they're planning on reducing the workforce by 20%. It stinks.

If you're not cynical, you're not paying attention.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 57   Go Up
Print
Jump to: